RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Interesting RCBS reply to Pro-Melt issue.

Boolit Master

Interesting RCBS reply to Pro-Melt issue.

So, my Pro-Melt started dripping about every 1.5 seconds over the weekend. Cleaned it out and it continued to drip, emptied it out and cleaned it and it continues to drip. So, called RCBS about parts and was told that it is discontinued and the they would send me a flow valve, but if the problem is the seat in the pot or the nozzle it will cost me $50 for a new pot or I could buy the new Pro-Melt 2.

Needless to say, I was a little disappointed in RCBS. I am not ready to go to a China made pot at this time. I was trying to start my daughter on her live casting training, but the drip was so big that it was causing problems with bullet noses and would splatter on my jeans, she would not have dealt well with the distraction.

Boolit Master
    I would gladly spend $50 to repair a pro melt than spend it on a new Lee that will drip from the day it's new and never be remediated. Rcbs customer service is usually great but I don't recall ever seeing a life time warranty on their products.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Having a working Pro Melt is worth a $50 pot, IF the new valve doesn't fix it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

I would gladly pay $50 to repair my ProMelt vs buying any of the new chineese ones. But, you might try lapping the rod and seat before spending the money.

Boolit Master

Did not say I would not fix it... but this is the second valve and pot for the old girl, 1984. The first one lasted far longer than the second.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Did not say I would not fix it... but this is the second valve and pot for the old girl, 1984. The first one lasted far longer than the second.
    Sounds like you've gotten your money's worth out of it. I bought a new pro melt about 4 or so years ago but my brother in law has pretty much comondiered it. I don't have the heart to repo it as he cast 98% more than I do... I am considering buying a pro melt2 for the benefit of the p.i.d. and gifting him my original.

Boolit Master
    So much for lifetime warranty. Has me worried now

Boolit Master

The electronic stuff from RCBS only has a one to two year warranty. Good idea is to buy from Brownells, they offer a lifetime warranty on everything they sell. Get signed up on their mailing list and they are always offering discounts and free shipping.

Boolit Master
    I could be wrong but he has a pro melt one by the sound of it. Normal candence for them is to literally cover anything wrong. Now wether I agree w that or not is different as one could really take advantage of that big time but we have grown used to the way we have been accustomed to.

Boolit Master

After cleaning it and maybe lapping the valve and rod a bit, or not, just put a light spring on the rod and the dripping will go away as long as you only run clean lead through it. If you smelt in it or run dirty lead nothing will help. I bought a used Pro-Melt 1, and I mean commercially used, and have been using it for 8 years for all my pure lead casting and I have never had a problem with it. Until I managed to knock it off the bench while cleaning up the casting area and managed to bend the bottom of the spout. RCBS did indeed send me a new pot free. This was 2 years ago so maybe things have changed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by odfairfaxsub View Post
    I could be wrong but he has a pro melt one by the sound of it. Normal candence for them is to literally cover anything wrong. Now wether I agree w that or not is different as one could really take advantage of that big time but we have grown used to the way we have been accustomed to.
    You are correct... this is the first RCBS product in 30 years where they told me buy a part!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    They have also quit making there special order dies . I was lucky enough to get one of the last 8x50 austrian. Once there gone there gone. Ch still makes them but there is a 2 year wait.

Boolit Master

Electronic parts at RCBS have a 2 year warranty. Sometimes they will still help with parts even beyond that. E.g. my motor on my case cleaner died long after the warranty expired. They sent another free one with nice instructions for how to retrofit it. I understand that they will do the same for the thermostat on the old Pro Melt.

I have the Lee Pro 4-20 pot. I fixed the drip by adding weight to the handle.
    I tinker old motorcycles. I had a gear lying around that was about 3/4 inch thick. The hole was about an inch. I set this under the spout and poured it full. When cool I tapped it out. It has a ridge where the key way was.
    I unscrewed the knob on the handle. Looked at the size of the bolt. Drilled a hole in the center of my thick lead washer. Slipped the lead washer on the bolt and screwed the knob back on.
    I still get and occasional drip. I need to empty the pot and lap the rod and seat.
    Leo

Banned

I have a pro melt II that does the same thing. I hang a 1 oz sinker from the handle and that stops the drip!

Boolit Master

My original Pro-Melt was dripping as well. I told RCBS I could change the pot myself and they sent me the rod and pot, no charge. I don't remember exactly how long ago this happened but it was in the 3-5 year range. Not a drip since, though.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My 18 year old RCBS electronic scale started jumping around in numbers like i was bouncing a ball off of it last year. I believe RCBS told me at the time electronics had a 1 or two year warranty. I bought a pro light automatic trickle scale to replace it. The rep said I definitely got my money’s worth out of it since most electronic scales last 5 years on average.

The new scale started to have black liquid crystal marks showing up on the display after a about 2 months. I called RCBS and the rep told me to send it back to where I bought it from! I finally talked her into sending me a replacement and a call tag for the defective scale. If it’s electronic they see. To shun their products it seems. On the positive with them I stuck a case the other day in my brand new die and I don’t have a stuck case remover...I do now... and heated my die turning it blue. I didn’t know I could send in my die and they would remove the stuck case for $5! I called and told them I removed my stuck case with heat and I was told to send it in for replacement and to send $5...I did and they send me a new die. I do have a few other dies I’ve done this to in the past and they still work fine...blue or not...but I now have a RCBS stuck case remover to do it correctly.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-12-2019 at 09:25 AM.