WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best .380acp cases

I guess it was just my luck, but the .380 Auto has been the biggest reloading challenge in my nearly 40 years of reloading. Resizing and all went well, it was belling the cases that turned out to be a major pain for me. I tried belling dies from several manufacturers and would wind up with a bulge just about where the bullet base would be. I had a few that would barely chamber. Finally I went a LEE Universal Expander and that worked fine. I also found that my Dillon 9mm expander die would work also.

In answer to your question, I read a ton of threads on 380 Auto brass looking for answers. It's hard to beat Win, RP, PMC or Fed. My particular 380 (A Kahr) was ammunition sensitive and prone to jamming. After a lot of reading about people replacing extractors or modifying them, I discovered the answer to my particular gun. As 35remington stated above in his post "properly sized extractor groove cut", and measure the case rim thickness. I would personally just remove the slide for cleaning and see what brand(s) seem to slip into the extractor groove with ease. Perhaps load 15-20 each and see if they cycle properly. I started with a KelTec P3AT and swapped out for the Kahr. I had already figured out the problems mentioned above before buying a Kahr. I've not had a single bobble with the Kahr new out of the box.

Best of luck finding what works best for you.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks or all the responses. A lot of good info to consider that I hadn't thought about, especially the high probability of loss at the range. I'm a brass hoarder by affliction so will probably keep it all,lol. Thanks again, Dog

Boolit Bub
    I've always been a fan of Remington

Banned
    I setup for 380's with the RCBS dies I have I seat the bullet and barely use any crimp on that die. I have installed a 9mm taper crimp die after the seating/crimp die and crimp it enough to stop any bullet movement when you apply pressure on the case and bullet. My additional taper crimp die totally eliminates the wrinkles I was getting in the cases before. Everything feeds and shoots as it should.

I now use every 380 case I can get my hands on and don't depend on any specific brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some 380 brass and factory ammo is so incorrect that one cannot help but fear for the extractor.

Boolit Master

I collect a lot of 380 brass but surprisingly I like the PPU the best. I have close to a 800 cases now, should hold me for a long time. Length is consistent, a full diameter rim and tight primer pockets. Cleans up well too. No problems with reloads in my 380 EZ.

Boolit Grand Master
    Put a questionable case alongside a Winchester, for instance, and compare extractor groove cuts. If it is noticeably smaller.....not good.

Boolit Grand Master
    When the case is pressed against the breech, see if the questionable cases strike the extractor nose at the front of the extractor cut. Many do. This is why the extractor cut needs to be correctly dimensioned.

The extractor is not designed to take violent slamming on firing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12