Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any truth in this?

Boolit Man

Any truth in this?

After a casting accident 40 yrs ago I started back casting last yr. I’ve never done this but I’ve read that after the cartridges are all done a lot of guys will wipe them off, then put them back in the tumbler to polish them. They say it accomplishes two things if loading for a leeever gun. One is it will help keep the magazine tube cleaner longer if there is no boolit lube anywhere on the finished cartridge, and two if they’re polished it can aid in feeding. But I’ve also read that the cleaning media can work it’s way into the cartridge via the primer, but I find that hard to believe as those primers are presses in to the primer pocket pretty good. So is there any opinion from you guys on this?
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Master
    I know that when you tumble a loaded cartridge you will break down the granule size of the powder and change the burning rate! don't ever tumble a loaded cartridge!.

Oh boy....here we go.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post

Oh boy....here we go.
    Again? OK, here is a link to a site search showing the various threads (5,910 of them) where it has been discussed again and again.....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...980j4201142j33

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I know that when you tumble a loaded cartridge you will break down the granule size of the powder and change the burning rate! don't ever tumble a loaded cartridge!.
    This has been debunked by more than one person. One guy left loaded ammo in a tumbler for more than a week and there was not breakdown of the powder.
    NRA Benefactor.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Well once more can't hurt can it. Although i can't name the actual people or study that checked i do rember reading that there is no change in the powder from tumbling . I did it for 30+ years before i read you were not supposed to do so. Still do it makes them pretty . It also removes anything left from loading. Not sure bout keeping magazine cleaner but it can't hurt. Sorry if this gets this going again but the fellow asked i figure he wants to know.

Boolit Grand Master

I simply wipe mine off . Saves electricity , polishing media and having to wipe them off after getting them out of the tumbler.

If you want to tumble clean them ...go for it .

I was advised not to run loaded cartridges in the tumbler... so I don't. I was also advised not to cross the street without looking both ways...that advice sounded good too .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Man
    Everyone here is making good points, so I just sent an email to Hogdon, asking them this very question. If and when I hear back from them I’ll post what they say.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundogblue View Post
    Everyone here is making good points, so I just sent an email to Hogdon, asking them this very question. If and when I hear back from them I’ll post what they say.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    They will say don’t, for the same reason that most gun makers say not to shoot reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a rotary to tumble loaded ammo at times but several things to do. 1 use fresh untreated media. You don't want to be adding crud from old media to this. Fill the drum to 70% full or better this makes the tumbling softer and easier on the ammo. Only tumble as long as needed to remove lubes it doesn't take very long 20-30 mins is usually enough. I know when Jenson loaded the palma ammo they tumbled the loaded ammo. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers tumble loaded ammo also. An almost full drum with new media and short times.

I still would recommend wiping ammo down to remove any dust still adhering to the ammo, this may be worse on the firearms than the lube do to the mild abrasiveness

Boolit Master
    I wet clean and polish my brass with stainless steel chips in a rock tumbler and use powder coated bullets instead of lube so nothing to polish when I'm done. I actually hate dry tumbling I have never been able to keep the dust and gritty off my cases. I've tried dryer sheets and mineral spirits.

Boolit Grand Master

I can remember reading this "controversy" when I first started looking in on reloading forums. One side says "no big deal" and cites many examples of why it is OK to tumble live ammo. The other side says "NO!, you will change the powder's burn characteristics and blow yourself up", citing powder mfg info on dangerous powder handling/methods, etc. Never a consensus reached...

I'm in the "I don't tumble handloads" camp not because I worry about rapid disassemble on my firearms, but my finished handloads don't need cleaning, but I lean towards the "go ahead and tumble" side...

I have tumbled some military surplus ammo that was dirty and tarnished with no ill affects, but I didn't do a side by side comparison in velocity or accuracy, I just shot them...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

I like my lead "shiny" -- just looks prettier, so after loading I do a final "quality control" where I examine each case for no "accidents waiting to happen" (e.g., split necks., etc.), check total cartridge weight on my Dillon Determinator, ensuring it is in "correct range" to enable my picking out (if any, usually, 99.9% not) cases with either no powder, or a double charge. (I have pulled several which were ok in powder -- just anomalies in the occasional case weighing much more or less than others) Lastly, before being placed in MTM cartridge box, I "wipe" entire case with a paper towel, where here, too, I can ensure primers were in fact seated to pocket bottom. The whole process takes less than 15 minutes to "do a box of fifty", and really gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling when I'm about to pull the trigger. (I do believe not having worries re ammunition removes enough stress to make shooting much more of a pleasure!) Note I exclusively use Imperial sizing wax, and do believe my paper towel wiping spreads a perhaps microscopic layer on entire case, attenuating corrosion, too.
    I have several leverguns, and... that's all I've been doing.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I polish the deprimed brass before loading most of the time , if not I just wipe off the case lube with a rag after loading .
    I don't know if the powder will break down or not , and I probably never will .

Boolit Master
    if your putting lead in a tumbler isn't that a good way to get lead dust in the air?

Boolit Grand Master

I seriously doubt that anything will enter the cartridge though the primer. I once had a friend that sold reloaded ammo through his gun shop. He loaded on a Star machine using steel dies. He put the loaded cartridges in a coffee can full of solvent to cut the case lube. I never remember him having a problem. These were 38 special and 45 ACP.

Tumbling loaded ammo; I've read about all of the warnings and fears but I have not experienced any problems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    if your putting lead in a tumbler isn't that a good way to get lead dust in the air?
    Dry tumbler media contains plenty of hazardous dust but the standard precautions work.
    Keep the lid on while tumbling, naturally. Don't get your face in there for a lungful while the lid is off. Wash your hands after handling it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I used to do it too. Tumbled a lot of rounds with no ill effects at all. I just don't care for sticky ammo. It was just for a short time though, not overnight or anything.

Nowadays I don't use my dry tumbler at all anymore. Like Mica Hiebert in post #11, I wet tumble my brass and powder coat my bullets. They come off the press so nice and clean and shiny, there would be nothing gained at all with a ride in the tumbler.

Boolit Master

I can remember wiping off the Jeweler's Rouge/Walnut shell of the brass tumbled in a big Thumblers Rock polisher when I was kid.

The rouge would cause eventual wear on the sizing dies. Used a rag dampened with acetone.

Real shiny cases.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    when im done making ammo i just set the pile in the middle of a full size old bath towel, grab each ends bunched up pulled tight, then tumble them back in forth inside the towel. its enough to wipe off extra lube or those tiny brass shaving from case mouths

Unless someone makes a chart of pressure data with every type of powder vs time tumbled im not gonna feel safe with some anecdotal evidence. Theres pobably some powders where you could wear off the outer layer and it dont change much, others might change a bunch, im not going to guess and check i kinda like my face where its at
    Last edited by bmortell; 06-05-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast