RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Mold Selection for 3in 44spl

Boolit Master

Mold Selection for 3in 44spl

I'm looking at different mold designs for my GP100. I'm going with a custom mold because my revolver has large throats and I need something close to .432.

I don't shoot heavy loads. I'll likely keep velocities under 900fps. I'll use it for general woods carry. The biggest critters we have to worry about are coyotes and an occasional bobcat. I'd like to use the same bullet for target practice and punching steel.

I like the idea of the Keith SWC 255gr design, but that is a lot of lead. I'm wondering if there is something a bit lighter that I should consider. Thanks

Boolit Master

Keep your velocities at or below 850 fps and the Keith bullet will work great.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

The Lee 200 RNFP shoots excellent in my Smith 69 over a modest charge of Promo. If it casts small for you, beagle the mold and/or powder coat. Ruger was also replacing some oversized cylinders free of charge if you want to go that route.

In addition to the Keith bullet, I use the Lyman 429215 over a moderate charge of Unique. I've used this slug with and without the gas check.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Another big fan of the lee 200 rnfp.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I have to pull your chain!

You got a fourty four and you are averse to a lot of lead?

I dink with the 200 gr cowboy slugs for really light loads as well. My wife will shoot them some as well but I do not use them for any field work.

My fav is the RCBS 250K mold, hands down. I also acquired a five cavity alluminum mold that throws a similar SWC and weight of boolit.

I have all 44 Mag revolvers but start about 100 FPS above standard special loads. If I had a GP in 44 special I would field a load just a shade off my magnum lite load I often carry in my guns.

That load utilizes HS6 powder loaded down to the area of 25,000 psi in my magnum case (11.8 gr.) light by magnum primers and pushing that 250k slug. In a GP and the 44special case I would start a ways below there and ease up to just a bit below there.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee 429-214-SWC that works well in a couple of Bulldogs. The 200 gr 'Cowboy' bullets should also work well. I have used 240's in the Bulldogs but the 200's and 214's are more fun(less recoil). NOE has has 432-224 SWC also. A 200-230gr at 800-850fps is not unarmed, a fine load unless bear enter the picture.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a big fan of the Keith type SWC. A lot of lead for sure but they just plain work.

I have the .44special GP100 in the 3" SS & the 5" blue. I shoot for fun (that's the reason I got a .44 spec. rather than a .44Mag).

I've shot the 429421 & the Arsenal 210 gr. FP with moderate charges of Red Dot, HP38 & WST. By far I prefer the Arsenal 210 gr. with 5.0 to 5.5 of WST. BTW I shoot the 3" SS more than the 5"...…...it's a fun gun.

Henry

Boolit Master
    Ok, you guys convinced me. I'll just eat the lead cost and go with the 255gr Keith.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my .44s I like Accurate 43-257H and 43-230G. Saeco #441 is also a proven performer, but I don't own the mold and bought the Accurate instead for my 4" S&W Model 29

Attachment 243012Attachment 243013Attachment 243014Attachment 243015
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have the Saeco #420 200gr tc shoots excellent in every 44 tried in about 9 in all. I usually use 6.0 to 7.0 grs of bullseye or tightgroup for 800 to 900 fps fps and 13.0 HS6 for 1250 fps.

Even though I have 3 other 44 moulds I use the 420 95% of the time. I have also run into 2 other 44 handguns with large cyl throats , I beagled the mould and produced bullets that I could size to .432 and accuracy is now on par with the other guns with normal cyl throats using .430 dia bullet
    I also have the saeco #944 200gr WC but sized @.430 dia
    need some to try ? drop me a PM

Boolit Grand Master

In my Ruger Lipsey I use the MP 503 copy with penta point HP pins. 7.5 grains of Unique puts me at 968 fps. and 1"@ 25 yards.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Go over to the NOE website store and look at Al's mould # 432 - 237 - WC PB. 237 grain wadcutter
    ( www.noebulletmolds.com )
    This design is based on the Lyman 358432 (160 gr.) which works well in 38/357 , actually it is the most accurate boolit fired in all my 38/357's .
    NOE also makes a similar design for 41 magnum.... It's a keeper also . When I saw it listed I immediately ordered a triple cavity for my model 58 , shoots to the guns fixed sights.. I Love It !

This design in 44 special/magnum should be a winner and exactly what you are looking for . They are accurate lightly loaded for target use , loaded heavier they are good for defense.
    I've noticed a renewed interest in heavy loading cast WC's for defense....the full WC hits hard .
    Al's designs cast true to stated diameters...432 -237-WC will be close to if not .432 diameter .

I've been a student of Elmer Keith my whole life but I've noticed the 358432 design wadcutter does get better accuracy than his SWC's that I've always sworn by . Shoot and learn !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-17-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I've been shooting a 240 gr. Keith at around 800 fps from a 3" M24 for over 25 years. Accurate and 'comfortable' to shoot', I've never really tried to improve upon it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Go over to the NOE website store and look at Al's mould # 432 - 237 - WC PB. 237 grain wadcutter
    ( www.noebulletmolds.com )
    This design is based on the Lyman 358432 (160 gr.) which works well in 38/357 , actually it is the most accurate boolit fired in all my 38/357's .
    NOE also makes a similar design for 41 magnum.... It's a keeper also . When I saw it listed I immediately ordered a triple cavity for my model 58 , shoots to the guns fixed sights.. I Love It !

This design in 44 special/magnum should be a winner and exactly what you are looking for . They are accurate lightly loaded for target use , loaded heavier they are good for defense.
    I've noticed a renewed interest in heavy loading cast WC's for defense....the full WC hits hard .
    Al's designs cast true to stated diameters...432 -237-WC will be close to if not .432 diameter .

I've been a student of Elmer Keith my whole life but I've noticed the 358432 design wadcutter does get better accuracy than his SWC's that I've always sworn by . Shoot and learn !
    Gary
    Became an avid cotton tail hunter after purchasing a Security-Six in '76. A 148 grain wadcutter in front of less than 3 grains of Bullseye taught me to not shoot low because of the wreckage created by a wadcutter.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I also have a lyman 429360 230 swc mold that works well.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lyman 429383 bullet in .44 Russian and .44 Special paper punching or plinking ammo. An older Lyman 429421 Kieth SWC gets loaded in the .44 mag.

H&G # 503 is my go-to 44 mould.
    Gas checked for full house 44 mag, plain base for light 44 mag and 44 special.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.