Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does .001 make a difference????

Boolit Master
    you can lap the sizer bigger much faster and cheaper than getting a new one. just would need a rod a drill and wrap sandpaper around it. just go slow and slug after each bit and end with 1k grit paper. id go .0005 at a time for testing bigger diameters cause you cant make it smaller again

Boolit Buddy
    This is some fun stuff

I need to get my bench back up

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the .001" boat. Life is too short to worry about half a thou. .359" is the right fit in most 357's I've seen. Here is an example, a Dan Wesson I've been messing with in 357 maximum. It has .360" throats, and a .3576" groove. A .360" pin gauge is a loose fit in the throats, but a .361" pin gauge is too tight. .358" cast bullets lead a little, and don't shoot too well. .359" bullets shoot great, .360" bullets shoot great, unsized .361" bullets shoot great. I assume if you go big enough, accuracy would start to degrade again, as they get deformed by the throat, if they chamber at all. If the sizing is close, they come out of throats bumped up to that size.

Boolit Master
    My Ruger LC9S Pro will shoot .358 boolits, but my CZ 75 SP-01 won't. At least not without a fight. But it will shoot .357 boolits all day long.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    This is for the Destroyer rifle I'm playing with.
    .358 is working, but I'm thinking it's a little small.
    Bore slugged at .357.
    I think you'll be fine with 358 in that rifle.
    but, if the rifle tells you it prefers a bit larger, then it's time to order the 359
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

An aside and worth nuttin'; I am a lifelong machinist/mechanic and cringe every time someone says use sand paper to work on metal. NO! Sand paper is for use on wood, plastics, or other soft material. For use on metal use emery cloth or aluminum oxide cloth (cloth is preferred over paper). Using "sand paper" on metal is like using a claw hammer on a punch or chisel...

Yep, a crotchity old mechanic...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I just polished a Lee .452 die today. They can be rough.

Coarsest cloth was 800 grit,then car wax, it still grew in diameter up to .4523.

Where I live,we talk metric. "One thou" in inches in 2,5 times our common "one hundredth".

Boolit Grand Master

.357, .358 or .359 ........ makes no difference to my destroyer as it's not a match rifle ....... they all shoot the same.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    .357, .358 or .359 ........ makes no difference to my destroyer as it's not a match rifle ....... they all shoot the same.....
    I like this. You actually tried them all so you know. I do the same.

I find the "Size Hunt" very rewarding.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    An aside and worth nuttin'; I am a lifelong machinist/mechanic and cringe every time someone says use sand paper to work on metal. NO! Sand paper is for use on wood, plastics, or other soft material. For use on metal use emery cloth or aluminum oxide cloth (cloth is preferred over paper). Using "sand paper" on metal is like using a claw hammer on a punch or chisel...

Yep, a crotchity old mechanic...
    I'm not offended or angered by much, but I nearly shed a tear when I saw an "experienced fitter/machinist" using sand paper to polish a new pump shaft at work.

"If you're going to use that ****, I'll make it out of wood next time".

SOB had no idea what I was talking about

Vendor Sponsor

.001" does make a difference. I find .001" gage pins too coarse to use for cylinder and barrel work. A reamer pilot that is .001" smaller than the hole you are reaming is not a very good fit, and not a very good guide to keep the new cut concentric with the center of the old hole. Same goes for throating an auto pistol barrel. You need half thou pins, and half thou pilots to insure you are centered.

Boolits matter less since all but the hardest castings will take on the diameter of the freebore or the cylinder throat when fired so you have this fitment thing going on that a machinist couldn't fit any tighter. I think it's a mistake to assume that oversize boolits detract from accuracy. I shoot 454190 with SPG lube, cast in 50/50+2% sized to .456" into a .451" bore that is very accurate.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    This is for the Destroyer rifle I'm playing with.
    .358 is working, but I'm thinking it's a little small.
    Bore slugged at .357.
    Go harder not bigger. Add linotype.

Banned
    This is a thread that shouldn't have been started in the first place. Proper fit is key to keep from leading. If its leading and the velocity is within accepted limits then its an easy answer...increase diameter for proper fit. Not everything is answered by using a harder bullet alloy and I guess experience is a key factor here.

Banned

yes it can at least in many cases.

Hitek goes on much thinner. You can easily achieve diameter increases of under 1/2 mil, even less. Of course, it would be easier to hone out a sizing die to whatever you need instead of a total process change, but gosh, switching to HT coating is beneficial in MANY more ways than being able to play with diameter builds. YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    Ever watched those bobsleds bouncing off the course walls during the 0lympics?? That's the way cast boolits look when fired thru oversize cylinder throats.. Make those boolits SQUEEZE thru the throats. Not bouncing the walls like a bobsled. l'm working with a S&W 44 mag silhouette Model 29 trying to make it shoot better.. Jktd .429, .430, and .431 boolits drop thru those BIG throats.. Found a used .432'' Lee boolit sizer on GunBroken. Awaiting its arrival any day.. We will see how some 432 boolits shoot

Boolit Master

.001" is probably not a big deal except when it's .001" to small!
    Last edited by skeet1; 06-15-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Boolit Master

I use allot of 35’s. I keep .355, .356, .357, .358, .359, .360 & .361 sizers on hand. I always run and find best to accuracy with the largest slug that will chamber.

This can change a little with higher vel rifle rounds, but this also likely has some to do with the fact that these are also a harder bullet.

Im playing with 356/357&358 now in the 350 Legend.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I use allot of 35’s. I keep .355, .356, .357, .358, .359, .360 & .361 sizers on hand. I always run and find best to accuracy with the largest slug that will chamber.
    This has been my experience with a few 9mm carbines,too. I cast heavy boolits and load subsonic.

Also,harder boolits generally come out larger than soft ones ,using the same sizer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    .100" is probably not a big deal except when it's .100" to small!
    . Im sure you knew, but .100 IS ALLOT!! .001 is a thousandths of an inch is what the question was about.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast