Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating Wild Hog

Boolit Master

I have eaten everyone I have dragged out of the woods.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I have eaten everyone I have dragged out of the woods.
    consequently I have eaten no one I drug into the woods
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepvet View Post
    You might want to check this out. I have always read my "Texas Hunting Guide" to say that feral pigs are not a game animal and no license is needed to hunt them. There is no season and no bag limit and you can hunt them at night with spotlights. I could be wrong, but if I am there are sure a lot of people in Central Texas that are headed to jail. I really don't know how much I would trust Houston News about anything to do with hunting.
    You might want to check again. No license is currently required for a landowner or the land owner's agent to kill feral hogs while they are causing damage. A license IS required to hunt them. I have no idea how strictly it is enforced. It used to be that a license was only required if you kept the meat.
    https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...es-and-permits

We've just about finished all of the meat from the 14 pigs I got in my trap in November. It tastes like store bought, just leaner and darker colored. The ones in this group were between 50 and 150 lbs. It's the only wild game my daughter will eat. That might have something to do with the sounder that got within 10 yds of her while we were fishing at our pond last year. They ran off when I yelled, but it spooked her.

Boolit Buddy
    Hunting in Georgia, I killed four deer and 14 pigs last year. None were wasted. The ones I didn't fix myself I had plenty of takers for.

There is a commercial protein meat bar that states on the package made from wild hog. They have mostly non-game meat but for pork I can see where it would make no sense to ignore the cost of procuring wild vs. buying farm raised.

Pretty sure Michigan still has a food bank donation system for wild game. I know when they cull the herd that overruns a local metro park they use bows and the meat all goes to a local food bank.

Preparation matters, some folks know well how to field dress and prepare game animals. Others I swear I thought they were serving me a piece of the sole of their shoe. Venison can be a tough, lean cut of meat. Or not. Depending on the cooks knowledge and ability. Mine on game cooking being fairly limited I stick to what I know. I use to cook a fair amount of fish. Not liking catfish is just weird. Mess of bluegill is good eating as far as I'm concerned, catfish is even better.

I get hogs are a pest, vermin and all that. I do sort of have a difficult time with wasting food but I guess if the point is to eliminate a pest the time spent packing the game out or field dressing would greatly reduce the time to devote to killing them.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

California, back in the 1960's, '70's, '80's and '90's before I got busted up,
    and unable to hunt.

It was one pig a day, one in possession. Hunting License was required. No Season, year around. Don't know what It's like now.

We would take the Ham's and grind up the rest for sausage. Had to get pork fat from the Butcher. My German bred Grandmother would make the sausage. The German Butcher would smoke the Ham's. There was no bacon to speak of.
    Once the cooler weather set in We would hunt them.

One a piece for 3 or 4 of Us, We had plenty of pork.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The one I shot this spring was good. Finishing up the ribs from last weekends grill for supper. We eat a deer a year plus the squirrels and other small game. Actually the feral hog is my second favorite behind squirrel. I eat catfish, prefer black perch from the creek but cats are fine. I used to love a good rare ribeye, but recently they are not so impressive. I suspect it is the “factory farming”, but now I prefer wild game to ANY store bought meat. And yep, cook the ferals fully, and slowly!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Now that I "live next door to Texas," I pay a lot more attention to wild hog posts. Seems folks hunt them for one of three reasons: depredation/damage control, which includes using feeders and traps and many if not most of the hogs except the small, young ones cut open and left for the buzzards; trophy -- we're talking the biggest hog with the longest choppers and if it's a 500-pound boar, I can't imagine it is any kind of table fare; and meat hunters who are looking specifically for animals of 100 pounds or smaller.
    I personally would love to hunt a couple of smaller ones for the table but would have no problem at all helping a farmer/rancher with depredation culling while I was at it. Seems to me a 60-pound hog, quickly scraped, dressed, washed, drained and chilled and then injected with a tangy Cuban-American garlic and sour orange mojo marinade would cook up just great on the pig roaster.
    I used the Three Guys from Miami recipe on a commercial hog about 65 pounds -- and built their cinder block pig roaster -- and my friends are still talking about it 15 years later.
    https://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

Boolit Buddy
    I really support Invasive swine management, maybe there is some limited federal support too.
    https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2014...uires-national
    Still we need to do our part without ending up on the menu, I mean a Russian boar cross hog is a little more than feral. I'd love to help, bring home some of the produce. But, my days of climbing a handy tree to get away from an irate sow or boar are over. Anybody needing some help (legally) with local pests let me know. Also know the stand must be high enough no hog will bother us. I'll even bring a cooler to transport produce.
    By the way the federal budget for this problem is only $20M to cover half the continental US states, probably less than a Mill per state. Good plan.

Boolit Master
    A foolish question... What if you trapped one ( a ~150 pounder comes to mind) and wormed it and ran a course of antibiotics thru it? It might takes a few weeks...might feed it some corn too... Just a dumb question......

The link that you sent does say that a hunting license is required, so I stand partially corrected. However, I called TP&W and was told that the regs were changed in about Oct last year and a hunting license is no longer required to hunt Feral Hogs on private property with the owner's permission. I placed a web page and quote below.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...nnual/hunting/

Outdoor Annual Hunting, Fishing and Boating Regulations

Feral Hogs And Coyotes

Hunter Education requirements apply.
    A resident or non-resident hunting license is not required to hunt depredating feral hogs or coyotes on private property with landowner authorization.
    Transportation and release of live feral hogs is unlawful, unless in compliance with Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) regulations. The TAHC regulates the movement of feral swine for disease-control purposes. For more information please call TAHC at (800) 550-8242 or visit tahc.state.tx.us.
    Feral Hogs And Coyotes

As to the spotlighting, the reason to contact he Game Warden prior to night hunting is so if the neighbors call about shooting at night the Game Wardens know what is going on. That way they don't get all excited and worked up about possible poaching.

Also, I apologize for the comment about Houston News. I just don't trust any news these days and I especially would not trust city news people about things that go on out in the country. I admit that I was not totally correct with my comments, but I think we have the correct information now.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

We've got a serious hog problem here. A friend of mine traps the hogs for local farmers, kills the hogs, and distributes them to local friends and family. I'm one of the benefactors and the wild boar is much different than farm raised pork. Also, at the end of last hunting season deer stopped visiting my deer stand. Turns out a pack of boar pushed them out. I killed four hogs in one night spotting in the woods. One of them was 250+ lbs.

On top of that our deer season is 10 doe and 2 bucks.... I can't remember the last time we bought meat in the grocery store.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Buddy
    Luckily I live in an unlimited tag for whitetail in my so I usually kill 5-6 a year but this year I got 8, we have already eaten 4 this year. Since my wife and I got married we have only bought chicken, we raise pigs and catch plenty of catfish and we run rabbits and squirrels for other meat

Boolit Mold
    If you are looking for a place to hunt, that is a great way to get onto someone's land. Pigs are really tearing up a lot of property in Texas so a lot of landowners are willing to let you hunt them on their property. Take care of the place and be polite and you may have found a good deer hunting property as well. The last time I shot a really large hog I was not feeling well so we left it. Next morning it was gone. Not even hair left. Pigs will eat anything. That is one reason why some question eating wild boar. I will only eat it if it is really well done. Too old to take chances. By the way, they will eat people too so be careful when hunting them. Around here they can run in groups of 30 or 40 and can hurt a man if he gets in their way or makes them mad. Makes hunting them more of a challenge. Look at some of the utube pictures showing pig hunts. They can be a real hunt.
    You can get much further with a kind word, and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone. Al Capone

I'm A Honcho!
    I only eat the little ones. Anything over 100 pounds tastes like armpit to me. Don’t ask how I know what armpit tastes like.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    How about"Tastes like armpit smells"?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Sorry if this offends you Sig556r. That is not my aim. Point is that it seems that you are saying Feral Hog Season opens Sept. 1st.. In reality this is when the no hunting license required becomes law. Open season in Texas is all year long already for legal hunters w/license. Your statement doesn't actually state that but, just need clarity keeping someone from thinking the season opens.

Oldtimers used to trap pigs, castrate all the boars, put their mark in the ear and turn loose. Later when a big barrow was killed, it didn't taste like armpit. As for penning a wild pig goes, they had a post with gunny sack tied around it inside the pen doused with diesel or kerosene which killed the vermin on the skin as the pig rubbed on it. (hog lice for one) Next would be to feed the pig all the charcoal from a wood fire the pig would eat. That cleans toxins from his insides. Be sure to have a very strong pen. Note: Never eat pork jerky or any other pork that has not been heated to 150 degrees through and through. They used Morton's Sugar Cure or Tender Quick on the pork loins, bagged and in refrigerator two days then Hickory smoked well and then it is Canadian Bacon.. Cook all pork well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12