Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Wild Hog

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Eating Wild Hog

I am a farmer. I have problems with wild hogs. I don’t have a lot of land, but it works for us. Here it seems they come in waves. They are here one day and the next they can be miles and valleys further away. For me, the problem is their braking my fences.

When I have a chance I shoot them. I always recover the meat. Sometimes only the best parts. However, it’s all good meat in my opinion. All pork should be well cooked. Today all pork is tested before it can be sold. Years ago, nobody would eat pork that was not well cooked.

Most of the time I marinate the meat for a day in red wine and spices. Then I cook it with onions and garlic for a few hours. I’ve served it to friends who have said it’s the best meat they have eaten.

Bottom line, it’s good meat. If you shoot more than you want to deal with that’s your choice. But the meat is good.

I've never had a problem with it.

Its common here to wash them off real well, maybe even with plain water in a pressure washer
    before ya take their shirt off because their skin & fur stinks so bad.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Damskippy!
    I’ll eat a pig from the rooter to the tooter!
    It’s illegal to shoot them and not recover them on purpose here in Florida’s state-managed land, what I call cut-and-drop hunting.
    (Buzzards gotta eat too, ya know!)

Vendor Sponsor

I usually take 3 or 4 a year. 75-100 lbs is good eating . anything over that and less than 200 is sausage
    Over 200 its buzzard food for me
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for agreeing with me. Seems like others don’t know what good is.

Boolit Master

Next to elk wild/feral pig is my favorite eating! Yep the young’uns are best. May seem cold to some, two years ago on a hunt I destailed her I took a large sow who’d just dropped piglets- wasn’t to long after the piglets came back and man were they good on the smoker! Friend who owns the land had just spent about 12000 dollars repairing fences and damaged fruit trees and water tanks forbid sheep, all damaged by hogs- he didn’t look the least bit sad to be eating suckling pig

Boolit Grand Master

I’m going to start smoking some.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    This may go against the grain but i don't like wild game. thats why i don't hunt well that and might need a couple people to carry me out of the woods. No piece of game has anything on a nicely grilled ribeye.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I usually take 3 or 4 a year. 75-100 lbs is good eating . anything over that and less than 200 is sausage
    Over 200 its buzzard food for me
    Like a lot of game, feral pig, done right, tastes pretty good to people who not know what it is. All my hunting has been either for food or pest control. On occasion, some pests happen to taste good too. If not to me, than to the buzzards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    This may go against the grain but i don't like wild game. thats why i don't hunt well that and might need a couple people to carry me out of the woods. No piece of game has anything on a nicely grilled ribeye.
    I hear people say that and wonder. Our venison here eats better than most domestic animals with all the milo and soybeans where I hunt. Most years I shoot two, once in a while three, and if one of my sons gets one or two, it's all good. Bottom line, we eat a lot of venison over the course of a year and I have come to where I prefer it over store bought meat, anything domestic just seems fatty and fake anymore.

I only killed one doe last year due to various things and for the first time in years and years, we will be zero balance on venison for a while before I can hunt again. Not sure how I'm gonna handle it.

No opinion on feral pork. Some people won't eat cat fish either, have to wonder about that one too.

Boolit Master
    Best part of hunting is bringing home some meat. We eat 1 or 2 deer a year, although we do buy some grassfed beef. We also share some of the venison with our kids.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't generally care for wild hog. I've tried it several different ways and the only time I enjoyed my meal was from a 20#er that I cooked on the grill. I'm not much of a catfish eater either. Guess I'm odd man out.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

Come Sep. 1, TX will be Feral Hog open season, hunting license not needed...
    https://www.click2houston.com/news/h...hout-a-license

I normal get a deer a season and sometime 2. We do not have any wild hogs where I am . If there was I would have some in the freezer. I also eat some of the animals I trap and mostly all the fish I catch.I do like catfish and other fish.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    More states should do that with the hogs. I hear that some time in the 2020's that they will be up to Canada line. I do not how true that is but they say how fast they are move north . Here in Iowa is shoot on site.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    When I lived in Florida quite often when I wanted to do a big barbecue and send the youngsters out with catch dogs to catch me at Hogg. If it was a boar hog id nut him first. Either way Boar or sow I’d grain feed them for about a month to clean them out. The biggest thing I learned was you don’t cook a boar or a sow that’s in season in your oven in your house. But slow cooked on a grill I found no difference between wild and domestic pork. No matter when or how it was dispatched . Having raised plenty of domestic hogs for the freezer I can state these things with certainty .
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    You might want to check this out. I have always read my "Texas Hunting Guide" to say that feral pigs are not a game animal and no license is needed to hunt them. There is no season and no bag limit and you can hunt them at night with spotlights. I could be wrong, but if I am there are sure a lot of people in Central Texas that are headed to jail. I really don't know how much I would trust Houston News about anything to do with hunting.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

I grew up eating kosher meals and so even though I'm not strict with it a good elk stake is a lot more appetizing than eating a pig. I would enjoy shooting a few feral hogs in a depredation hunt but would leave the eating to the buzzards. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I usually soak it in Teriyaki sauce for a day and then smoke it. Great eating.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeepvet View Post
    You might want to check this out. I have always read my "Texas Hunting Guide" to say that feral pigs are not a game animal and no license is needed to hunt them. There is no season and no bag limit and you can hunt them at night with spotlights. I could be wrong, but if I am there are sure a lot of people in Central Texas that are headed to jail. I really don't know how much I would trust Houston News about anything to do with hunting.
    You prolly misinterpreted the TX Hunting Guide...hunting license is required to hunt them & spotlights are allowed only if local warden are notified beforehand...not my words but excerpts from TPWD
    https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...ral_hogs/#hunt
    Won't blame you not trusting Houston news if you're not from here, I wouldn't trust any Central TX news either...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast