MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Target suggestions

Target suggestions

I need targets for rifle work. I don't have a printer so that's not an option for me. I save paper plates for targets but they don't work so well at 100 yards. I like ez2c targets but they are expensive. Anything else out there?

Boolit Master

clay pidgins
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Make your own shoot and see targets. Put a piece of paper (any color) on a cardboard. Cover it with clear packing tape and spray with flat black paint. Walmart has paint for $1.00 each. This is not my idea and I don't want credit for this cause someone else thought this up. It works pretty good also.

Banned

I use paper plates. Wal Mart's party favor section has 6' and 9' diameters in just about any color you could want. I buy and shoot a lot of the black, 6' diameter ones at 100 yards practicing from field positions.

Why don't paper plates work for you at 100 yards?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    Make your own shoot and see targets. Put a piece of paper (any color) on a cardboard. Cover it with clear packing tape and spray with flat black paint. Walmart has paint for $1.00 each. This is not my idea and I don't want credit for this cause someone else thought this up. It works pretty good also.
    A guy at the range I go to sometimes was showing me this once, actually worked very well. He said get whatever color construction paper suits you, cover it with the cheapest clear shipping tape you can find and then spray it with the cheapest spray paint you can find. I was surprised how visible the bullet holes were on a pistol range.

Paper plates don't work for me because they don't offer a small enough point of aim at 70-100 yards. Least I think that's it. Maybe it's because they are white and I can't see them as well to keep a consistent sight picture. I have some targets with a black 6" center that work better.

I like paper targets that have some extra room so that if my group is not on the bullseye, I can still keep the target for reference. I've been using a combo of things but I prefer paper targets I can save in a binder for reference.

Boolit Grand Master

I have made rubber stamps to make targets with. Not hard to do you need a dividers a exacto knife can be mounted in. The thread adjustable are nice and for accuracy add a lock nut to the inside. Cut a wood disk and glue a 1/8"-1/4" piece of soft rubber to it. Use the dividers to cut 3/32" rings the size you want. cut and pull out the ring leaving a 3/32 gap in the rubber. make a handle for the back. Spray with paint or dip in and press into paper on a flat surface. I used a piece of 1x8 maple cut round and cut it round by hand laying it out with the divider. glued the rubber on with contact cement and let cure over night. Cut the rings so the black bands were 1" with a 3/32" white ring between them. a flat pan and a thin layer of paint in it. I used a roll of brown construction wrapping paper that was 3' wide cut at 3'X2' 2 targets could be put on each sheet easily with room between them.

In a flat work bench set the pad of pre cut paper. set the paint pan close and with the stamp you can make a bunch of targets quickly. Not the shoot and sees but a nice target

Vendor Sponsor

A sheet of printer paper and a 1" orange stickon dot. Cheap and works great
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Thanks for the ideas and replies.

Metal gong hanging on chains. You know immediately if you hit it and it is reusable if your not shooting a 30mm cannon.

BB

Boolit Master
    I like decent sized packs of orange sticker targets, if im going no money I grab a marker and paper then use different sized rolls of tape to trace rings for a bullseye. for example trace the inside of electrical tape, then the outside, then inside of duct tape. or some combination like that. could also grab a straight edge and make a vertical and horizontal line and you got a fairly professional looking target.

Boolit Master
    I get small stick on dots at the teachers supply store, and a pack of paper plates from the dollar store. Years ago I got a bunch free from Remington, but I finally used them up.

I didn't buy the foam plates because the paper plates will decompose, at least the little shreds that fall to the ground. I always police my targets when I'm finished shooting unless someone asks if they may have it.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    holographic smiley faces at the dollar tree stuck to the center of their colored plates or a plain piece of paper.

I also use their colored construction paper covered with clear shelf liners then painted.-- cut to whatever size target you want. = Shoot-n-see targets.

My Costco pizza comes on a round piece of cardboard.--smiley dot in the middle and -- I'm good to go.

or a compass, a marker, and a ruler

these are DIy shoot-n-see
    Last edited by Conditor22; 06-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Since you don't have a printer another option since it sounds like you still want to use conventional paper targets is to go online where there are scads of free to download paper target options, save the style of targets you like the looks of, then take the file on a flashdrive to any local printing company (Staples, etc.) and print as many as you want. If you print in black and white and not colour the cost is very reasonable, and there are no copyright issues since they were freely available targets in the public domain.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I work at a print plant...I got so much sticky back to choose from(always some scrap). I like the green best. Cut 1" strips and stick to cardboard. Even the wood stakes are from work scrap.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    I have used a set of cheap cup cake trays to cast plaster targets, use food colouring if needed and you can cast a little wire into mix to tie them up with, very reactive and easy to make. Regards Stephen

Hey Bazoo! Make a template for the size target you want. Lay that over the brown paper (bag ?) and spray the bullseye onto the paper through the template. Cheap and easy. Stick-on dots work well, but they are limited in choices of size. I've used the spray paint through the template before, and it works. Just a suggestion...

Good suggestions thanks all. I do have a few pieces of steel I shoot when I'm working on field positions after I've got a load worked to my satisfaction.

40-82 hiker, dunno why I didn't think of that, I have some pieces of packing paper about 30" square that would work well with painted dots.

Strips of construction paper glued to a sheet of typing paper might help with my aiming.

Boolit Master
    I keep magic markers , thumb tacks , and a assortment of little sticky pads in a box ready to go shooting all the time .

I made stencils of various diamonds and circles from cardboard and used cereal boxes for the stencil. I use to buy cheap Walmart spray paint but the nozzle clogs way before the paint is used up so I buy Rustoleum instead. Mostly I use card stock printer paper for the target but the regular copier paper works too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast