RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Target suggestions

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll try some different things and figure out what works for me with my sights and distance, I don't so much have problems with my eyes, but I have problems with certain combinations.

I have some old plywood for backing. I use pushpins most of the time to attach targets. Although I have stapled and taped them up. Used cardboard often, till I sacraficed an old piece of plywood.

Boolit Grand Master

For testing with a scope I like a square aiming point, around 3" at 100 yds. I bracket a corner of the square in the crosshairs and zero so group is high above aiming point. This gives 4 aiming points and group areas. Bracketing the corner in the cross hairs is easy to see the same, putting the group high holes don't change the aiming points. Learned this from an old bench rest shooter

Boolit Buddy
    I use cheap white paper plates and put a black spot in the middle using black liquid shoe polish. I comes in a squeezable bottle with a round sponge applicator. I can make hundreds in 10 or 15 minutes and sponge cleans up with water. I shoot mostly open sight milsurps at 50 yrds. 68 year old eyes.

As a certified cheapskate, I like to salvage everything I can find discarded. At the range I frequent, there are generally a large number of shoot-n-see targets in the trash, most with very few holes in them. Some of them even had the orange and black pasters still on the border. After reviving said targets by using the pasters provided, I found that I needed a lot more black ones. So the targets with many holes, still have large areas of black on them. The entire black portion of the target can be peeled away, and cut up into small pieces to cover a hole, or multiple holes. When I have a significant size hole torn in the target I am salvaging, I have used a large patch from a discard target on the back, and then cover the front with a piece cut to just cover the holes. The glue to glue effect tends to keep them together better.

At this point, I have saved enough targets I can scarcely use them all.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I've heard of Pizza places that have targets printed on the box so they can be used as targets.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 06-16-2019 at 12:30 AM.

I dont have any ranges to visit here, but thanks for the comment Wayne.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    8.5x11 graph paper with orange stickie dots. It makes easy to measure your groups quik.

I like the idea of the inverted T. I can see how it could help when shooting groups with a scope. As long as I can hang it straight so as not to cant the gun.

I like the graph paper because I can get them ready at home, write notes on them or what ever. Then I use a acordeon file folder to put them in and to carry extras just in case. At home I then use a drafting templet with different size holes to circle the groups so it is easyer to see where the center of the group is.
    That's my favorite, especially with a scoped rifle and a spotting scope. I can also get by with a magic marker on the graph paper, just fill in squares until the aiming point is of the desired size.

I need a bigger target for iron sights. I can't even see a 1" or less square at 100 yards with my naked eyes anymore.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

Make target dots from masking tape, blue works good just cut some out and paste on your paper plate. For serious target work I print up hollow 1 inch squares on a sheet of paper. The center of the square left white and sized to suit the power of your scope. Hold your cross hairs centered in the white, like a peep sight.

A little time invested on a day off will provide you with targets for a month or two of regular practice...

https://youtu.be/9bM0ZiyLeVE

Last edited by OS OK; 06-16-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

A testing target I like for iron sight with a front post is a black triangle inverted point down , Align sites and the front post at the point centered or pushed up to where each corner of the blade is just touching the edges. The plus to this is the distance doesn't matter as the point always tapers to a point. I usually make them about 8" on each leg.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    As a certified cheapskate, I like to salvage everything I can find discarded. At the range I frequent, there are generally a large number of shoot-n-see targets in the trash, most with very few holes in them. Some of them even had the orange and black pasters still on the border. After reviving said targets by using the pasters provided, I found that I needed a lot more black ones. So the targets with many holes, still have large areas of black on them. The entire black portion of the target can be peeled away, and cut up into small pieces to cover a hole, or multiple holes. When I have a significant size hole torn in the target I am salvaging, I have used a large patch from a discard target on the back, and then cover the front with a piece cut to just cover the holes. The glue to glue effect tends to keep them together better.

At this point, I have saved enough targets I can scarcely use them all.

Wayne
    This one will get used. Thank You!
    Bevan
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=48
    Pasties. Any kind you like and they're cheap. I've used spray paint, tape, etc. but I find these are quick, clean, easy; slap'em on your paper plates or whatever and hang'em up.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I use red or green printer paper cut into varying size squares, taped/stapled/glued to heavy cardboard backer. For more contrast, I will use a white backing, stapled to the cardboard. Also use various red, green white 'dots' to cover bullet holes. Amazon carries many different colors, sizes of adhesive dots to cover bullet holes or use as targets. I cut 4'x8' fiber siding board(black on one side) into target boards, use roll of white butcher paper, red and green squares of printer paper for most load sevelopment and practice. Easy to see bullet holes in the red or green.

Boolit Master
    At one time or another I have used probably all of the above suggestions.But my favorite when younger was Necco wafers and animal crackers.No clean up either.Hey,the bugs and birds have to eat too.Used these out to 50 yds or so with iron sights,or up to 100 yards with a scope.Used these with all calibers that I shot.From Daisy BB gun up to 30-06.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Bazoo I'm sending a pm.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master
    Why don't you eliminate a lot of the stipulations that keep you from using a common sense choice.
    Shop in the local Craig's list for a printer or get a friend to print a target. Then take your targets to a copy machine and make copies or just print more off your printer. I guarantee you can often find a printer for less than $50 and possibly as little as $20. I know because I have done it.
    Find a small CPA office - they often have older printers that still work they will give you. I am currently using an older high volume office quality printer that I got for carrying off. The owner had 2 more that he wanted me to carry off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I need targets for rifle work. I don't have a printer so that's not an option for me. I save paper plates for targets but they don't work so well at 100 yards. I like ez2c targets but they are expensive. Anything else out there?
    EDG

Moderator Emeritus

Computer Printer:
    I believe most all public libraries have computers with internet access, and they surely have printers connected. I use the local public library for my printing needs (20˘ per page), because my needs don't rise to the level of the cost of owning and maintaining a printer.

Back in the Day, my supervisory electrical factory job (that ended in 2003) was mostly office work. Lots of paperwork. I'd save/recycle used office paper, as one side was still blank. After hours (with permission), I copy targets onto this 8.5x11 used paper. I still have some of those target...and it's been 16 years since I made those free targets.

These days, as I am retired,
    I go to the local printing shop, luckily my small town (Glencoe) still has one. They have a closeout shelf. Many times, they sell reams of Card stock for a few dollars each. I buy them, and have them run them through their super duty copier at a reduced price, since they are using paper I already bought from them. So for less than 10˘ each, I get some super nice 8.5" x 11" targets on colored paper that is similar thickness to a business card.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    A guy at the range I go to sometimes was showing me this once, actually worked very well. He said get whatever color construction paper suits you, cover it with the cheapest clear shipping tape you can find and then spray it with the cheapest spray paint you can find. I was surprised how visible the bullet holes were on a pistol range.
    Now this is a neat idea...I'm gonna have to steal it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I don't know why I didn't really consider getting a printer. At one time i had access to a work sanctioned xerox machine and I used to print a few here and there and they added up. I do have a friend with a printer, but I haven't talked to them bout it yet. I might could get them to run off some if I bought the next ink refill.

.20 each would get expensive quick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    holographic smiley faces at the dollar tree stuck to the center of their colored plates or a plain piece of paper.

I also use their colored construction paper covered with clear shelf liners then painted.-- cut to whatever size target you want. = Shoot-n-see targets.

My Costco pizza comes on a round piece of cardboard.--smiley dot in the middle and -- I'm good to go.

or a compass, a marker, and a ruler

these are DIy shoot-n-see
    Nice targets

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast