Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need some opinions on a couple of lever gun values

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Need some opinions on a couple of lever gun values

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on “fair value” of a couple of lever guns I am thinking of possibly selling as I “downsize”. I’m not talking about “inflated” prices but rather a good honest fair market value. The guns are as follows:

The first rifle is a

Marlin 336SC (Sporting Carbine) – waffle top
    Serial No. E375XX – puts it as 1948 production year
    Caliber: 30-30 (5 + 1 capacity)

I don’t believe it is the original front sight and the rear sight has been removed leaving an open dovetail. It has a receiver peep sight. I am not expert but I would estimate the original blueing as 90 to 95%. Bore is good and it is a good shooter. It does have some handling dings etc. but overall, whoever owned this rifle took very good care of it. Hopefully some photos will help- I know it’s hard to arm chair quarterback a value but a fair ballpark figure is all I’m looking for.

The second rifle is a Winchester 94 “Ranger”.

Winchester 94 “Ranger”
    Serial No. 60781XX
    Caliber: 30-30 (7 + 1 capacity)

This rifle has the hardwood stock (not walnut) and the cross pin safety. It is as made with no alterations. I purchased it and while it did not have the original box, the person who consigned it at the LGS where I got it said that his father had purchased it new and never fired it – it lived in his father’s closet until he died and his son consigned it as he had no interest in it. It is “as new” as far as wear / handling marks / etc. I think I have fired perhaps 50 – 60 cast rounds through it – a nice shooting little rifle with my reduced loads and a 115 gr. flat nose.

I don’t hunt anymore and I don’t shoot these anymore – even though I love reloading the 30-30. I will probably get a single shot 30-30 so I can still reload and shoot 30-30 but it will be a “fun gun” if I do. It’s time for these two to go so I need a fair ballpark figure on what each is worth. I realize that geographic location makes a difference as well. As they say . . . “they are what they are” so need some help in determining value or each. These and several other rifles will be leaving the nest and I’m replacing them with a 38/357 and 45 LC lever guns that I will shoot and enjoy much more often.

Thanks for any help you can give – much appreciated.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 06-04-2019 at 09:58 PM.

The winchester ranger would be priced 300-350 in a local store.

Rifle #2 - Winchester 94 Ranger 30-30

Winchester 94 Ranger 30-30

The ranger should be 7+1 capacity.

A lot of folks get disappointed when they go to sell mass produced lever actions.

Demand is so-so, and there are gazillions of them out there.

$300-ish is pretty realistic.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thanks Bazoo - I corrected it to 7 + 1 - hit the wrong key!

Winger - yea . . . kind of like being a thoroughbred horse and finding out you bought a plow mule . . . LOL That's why I say "they are what they are" - no one is going to offend me by giving their honest opinion - an item is only worth as much as a willing buyer is willing to pay for it on a given day.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Thanks Bazoo - I corrected it to 7 + 1 - hit the wrong key!

Winger - yea . . . kind of like being a thoroughbred horse and finding out you bought a plow mule . . . LOL That's why I say "they are what they are" - no one is going to offend me by giving their honest opinion - an item is only worth as much as a willing buyer is willing to pay for it on a given day.
    Well, something else that kicks ya on the transom, is not being in the gun selling business.

Like when you take in a $6,000 dollar diamond ring to sell at a jewelry shop.
    They put it on a scale and offer you $400.
    It sort of works like that.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Around here both would be between $300-400.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The marlin would bring 450ish round here I think.

Thanks much for the help - greatly appreciate it. It pretty much lines up with what I was thinking they would be worth. I was figuring maybe $275 - 300 on the Ranger and a tad bit more on the Marlin - maybe $350 or so. Am taking them to the gun shop this morning to see what they say they think that they can get for them on consignment - lever guns seems to sell out of this shop pretty well - just want to be fair about it and not underprice 'em but not overprice 'em either. I had my fun with them and it's time to move on so I am just chalking up any loss (or the consignment fee) as "rent" for the enjoyment I had with them. Thanks again! Jim

FWIW, a few years ago, I sold a Ranger for $325 and a 1960's .35 Marlin Sporting Carbine for $500 - both were in excellent original condition (98%, +/-), with no alterations.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    They have made millions of the Marlins. Great guns though.

I'd price the marlin on the high end and let it soak a while, if you ain't in a hurry. The right person might see it. It is a very nice example.

I just noticed that the 94 Ranger has a gold-plated trigger like the Marlin 336.... looks good on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tex - the trigger looks gold do to the camera - it's actually silver in color.

I took them down to the LGS where I've done business for many years. The place has been in business for may years and they are a good group there. All shooters and reloader themselves and good to deal with. I had consigned some rifles with them to sell over the winter and had a check to pick up so I took them down and told them I wanted to consign them. I put them on the counter and just told them to tell me what they thought they were worth and what they wold put on them. I was actually surprised - several looked them over and they came back with $400 on each them. This place seems to do a good business of selling lever guns - both new and used. I watch their listings and they seem to move quite a few used ones at what I have always considered fair prices. I told them to go ahead and as I discussed with them, we can always drop a little but it's hard to add. They thought that they would probably move well.

At the same time, I asked to see their Henrys and they had a whole rack full of different models/calibers - steel and brass receivers. What was nice was that I had the opportunity to heft and handle all the models and in different calibers. I "thought" that I wanted one of the big boy carbines - either in steel or brass and had pretty much decided on that - in 357. I surprised myself when I kept going back to the Big Boy steel rifle with the 20 inch barrel - I hadn't handled one but had watched a number of videos andI had the impression that I would prefer the shorter carbine - I was wrong. The steel BB in357 that they had on the rack had a nice burl grain pattern in the buttstock and it just sort of melted in my hands and arms when I raised it up. The guy pointed out the grain and said it was one of the nicest that they had had come in from Henry in a long time, even though their walnut stocks are always nice. As they say, "a bird in the hand" and for just a very few dollars more that what it would have cost to buy on online and do the transfer, etc. - it came home with me. My plan has been to downsize and get rid of the guns I no longer shoot and get down to two centerfire rifles - one in 357 and one in 45 LC - to go with my favorite revolvers. I have a feeling that this 357 Henry is going to by my "huckleberry" and get the most use.

Thanks for the input - greatly appreciated and now we'll see how long the Marlin and Ranger last at the gunshop - time for them to go to someone who will get some use out of them and enjoy them as much as I did.

I'd love to have the Marlin, not too often you see a 2/3 magazine around here. Someone will be very happy with it for 400 bucks.