RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My local barbershop

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

My local barbershop

I went into James Wood's barber shop in Kalispell to get a haircut this morning.

James said to the customer he's working on, I have something to show you.

He pulled up his shirt, and pulled out a new Sig Sauer he had just got. The customer then pulled up his shirt, showing a Glock. James asked me if I was packing, so I pulled my vest aside to show my Colt.

About that time another customer walked in, and was immediately informed he had to be armed to come in. Pulled up his shirt, another Colt.

Great place to get a haircut. One man, one chair shop, that runs on Indian time. If he happens to be there, he may open the door and you might get a haircut.

Two fat old dogs lazing under the window on a rug. One gets up occasionally to get a dog biscuit from a pile on a chair across the shop, goes back to the rug and takes his time eating it. Neither dog ever tries to snatch the biscuit from the other, they know there are more where that came from.

Old stuffed deer heads on the walls, perforated targets, clippings from gun magazines, hunting photos of local big game taken by friends, family, and himself. A table overflowing with old outdoor magazines, a "William Tell'd" pair of arrows leaning on the wall.

100% of staff and clientele armed, no one shot or killed.

This is my kind of barber shop.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Barber shops are almost non-existant around here. My barber shop is in the kitchen. I may not be packing while getting a haircut, but the shootin' iron is not too far away.

I'm jealous, mine has maybe one (old) M-T and a bunch of sports mags. Doc's office only has women mags. And no gun signs.
    Whatever!

Sounds like a great place to get a haircut, and a great town. The one I go to has a very impressive collection of model airplanes of all vintages hanging from the ceiling with fishing line, a couple of dummy 1873 Colts on the wall right in front of the barber chair, and an honest to goodness 33 1/3 stereo console that last trip in was playing The Tijuana Brass. There's also a jukebox complete with neon lights, but I don't know if it works.
    The main barber is 82 years of age and still gives pretty good haircuts, but hasn't had one himself in years. There is another barber who is there part time. He's from Alaska, and likes to talk about his 4 ex-wives.

Cool.

If he was closer, I'd quit shaving my head just to go there.

The dogs sound like the redneck security system we have here.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a cool place.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Now if there was a shop like that around here i would use it. As it is i just go out back to trim what hair i have.

Boolit Master
    My barbers are the rudest people you’ll ever meet. Never a kind word from any of them. Of course they deal with us jarheads all day so they get back what they give, lol. It’s a fun time and your never know when they’ll follow through with their threats to give you a screaming high And tight, lol.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Cool.

If he was closer, I'd quit shaving my head just to go there.

The dogs sound like the redneck security system we have here.
    I don't think the dogs would be much security! The only way they would hurt someone is if you trip over them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't think the dogs would be much security! The only way they would hurt someone is if you trip over them.
    Ours are more aggressive.
    Once I was worried a relative was going to get a rash from being licked so much.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Waksupi, there is term for your shop, it's called disappearing Americana. I think a lot of others have gone by the wayside. I don't know of a drugstore with a ice counter. There are a few Ace Hardware stores around. The last saw sharpener anyplace in the county quit about 6 or 7 years ago. I sure miss all that stuff.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

The barber Dad Took us to for years was in the back of his home. Actually a friend of dads. But if we were "good" when Dad was getting his hair cut then after we got to go out in the yard with his 410 and fire a few rounds each. I remember it since it was an old trapdoor that had had the rifling reamed out. Big and heavy for us but what a treat.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I went into James Wood's barber shop in Kalispell to get a haircut this morning.

James said to the customer he's working on, I have something to show you.

He pulled up his shirt, and pulled out a new Sig Sauer he had just got. The customer then pulled up his shirt, showing a Glock. James asked me if I was packing, so I pulled my vest aside to show my Colt.

About that time another customer walked in, and was immediately informed he had to be armed to come in. Pulled up his shirt, another Colt.

Great place to get a haircut. One man, one chair shop, that runs on Indian time. If he happens to be there, he may open the door and you might get a haircut.

Two fat old dogs lazing under the window on a rug. One gets up occasionally to get a dog biscuit from a pile on a chair across the shop, goes back to the rug and takes his time eating it. Neither dog ever tries to snatch the biscuit from the other, they know there are more where that came from.

Old stuffed deer heads on the walls, perforated targets, clippings from gun magazines, hunting photos of local big game taken by friends, family, and himself. A table overflowing with old outdoor magazines, a "William Tell'd" pair of arrows leaning on the wall.

100% of staff and clientele armed, no one shot or killed.

This is my kind of barber shop.
    I envy your situation.....can you get a shave there?
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Nice!!
    Bob

Boolit Master
    When I married Lori and moved to Phenix City it took me some years to find a barber shop that wasn't a beauty shop in disguise. I finally found one just about two miles away. A real barber shop with gun magazines on the table, guys that don't look like they want to kiss the customer, and people that know me well enough to know that I have a firearm when they see me...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

One of my favorite things to do was go to the barber with my father. Old classic barber chair. The barber was getting older, white hair but hand as steady as granite. They’d even shave you there. There was something special about going to get a haircut with dad. Barber passed away about 5-6 years before dad did. Thanks for bringing back fond memories. It’s a shame that typenof shop is fading away into history.

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    I envy your situation.....can you get a shave there?
    No, he just cuts hair.

Boolit Master
    I had a barber shop like that....stuffed deer heads, shooting hunting magazines on the tables, the barber/owner was a die hard duck hunter and had ducks and geese on the wall as well. When he got older his daughter joined him cutting hair and finally Bob's heart gave out and he passed. The daughter hired another gal and the whole tenor of the place changed. Now we have unisex "Salons". Oh I'm armed, but nobody would show they are carrying for fear of giving the women the "vapors". Oh, they don't shave the back of the neck anymore either.....loved the feel of the hot lather even though Bob's hands got shaky near the end, and you were as likely to get nicked as not with that old straight razor. Sigh....miss those times.
    Last edited by Rick Hodges; 06-05-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    I been going to the same barbershop for 50+ years, but would change if yours was within 50 miles. One time went to the next small town as a kid and that was an old time barber shop right out of the 80's { 1880's } , old nickel plated and white porcelan barber chair, rows of framed arrow points on the walls, all found by the owner locally, and he let us little kids play with the minnows he kept in the old cast iron claw foot bathtub in the back room. Wish I could go back to small town America of my youth.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have an old school barber shop to go to ....
    But the barbers are slowly getting older and retiring ! They have two ladies cutting hair but I don't like how they cut mine .
    My favorite male barber put a sign up that he would no longer be cutting on Saturday's ....writing on the wall...wont be long and he will be retiring...drats !!!!! I've been getting my hair cut there on Saturday mornings for 47 years ... I Hate Change !
    I can break down and let the ladies cut it , shave it all off or just let it grow shoulder length...
    I'm leaning towards the Arlo Guthrie look , get out my old guitar and start singing "Alice's Restaurant".....1967 was a great year ...yeah that's the ticket !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast