Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 9mm Largo

Boolit Master

9mm Largo

I have an Astra 400 and a Spanish Destroyer carbine, both in 9mm Largo. The Astra came with 250 rds that were mostly duds, so I got some 9mm Largo brass and loaded rounds with the bullets from the duds.
    The bullets are 125 grs jacketed, and measure .353". The carbine's bore measures .353" - .354", so the pulled bullets work well. I tried using 125 gr cast bullets sized to .356" (smallest sizer I have) but they would not chamber - not even close. I cannot find any .353" -.354" bullets anywhere online. So, I could have a custom mold made, or a custom sizing die.
    For the heck of it I pulled a bullet from a factory (Winchester) 9mm jacketed bullet and it measures .353" (115 grs). I made a dummy round with that bullet and it chambers perfectly.
    Does anyone know where I can get some .353" - .354" cast or jacketed bullets?

I do not own a Destroyer carbine, but do own several Astra 400s. The one I usually shoot and reload for is quite happy with .355" diameter bullets, but handguns can be individuals in taste. I also shoot an Astra 600 in 9mm Luger that uses the same bullets.

As to where to find .353"-.354" bullets, I'd first try our forum vendor, Casting Machine. He is currently offering 124 gr. cast and lubed or powder coated in .356", but I'm pretty certain that he has the ability to size them smaller as he does with other calibers; or you could buy the appropriate sizing die and do it yourself by just running his larger bullets through the size die you need. Another place you could try is Midway USA. They carry an amazing selection of bullets, both jacketed and cast. Just do a search on their site.

Boolit Master
    I've looked just about everywhere - the smallest diameter I could find was .355". I'll probably get a Lee sizer. Or, I could keep pulling the Winchester bullets once the duds run out. Fun...

I had a Destroyer and a Star both 9mm Largo. The ammo I got my hands on was Mil Surp but was Berdan primed. I used 38 super brass that I thinned the rims by turning. 38super would work but it looked to me it would over work the extractors. I used bulk Win FMJ and cast with no problem. You might have a chamber problem and a little polish job may solve it.

Boolit Master
    I did a little more experimenting, with the Astra and the Destroyer, and the problem was the shape of the cast bullet I was trying. Both guns take .355" jacketed bullets, but neither would take the cast bullet due to its shape. That's why chamber casts are very important, as many here have said.