RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: My New Toy

Boolit Mold

My New Toy

Recently purchased a Browning 40-65 BPCR rifle. Two questions... What do y’all think of this caliber? What BP cast bullet and BP load will shoot best?

Boolit Master

Great round but depends on what you are going to do with it. For target a 400 gr boolit works best. For hunting I use a 325gr flat point. I use mine in competition and for hunting and have taken a number of deer with both of mine a roller and a C-Sharps Highwall.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I really great caliber for almost any type of shooting. I have a few .40's, and two in .40-65W. The gun and caliber you purchased will do about anything you want to do from hunting to long range work. I don't shoot BP, so mine get smokeless loads. Can't help you with BP charges, but I have excellent results with the RCBS CSA 350 bullets in mine for distances out to 1,000 yds.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman 400 grn snoover performs well I have shot it out to 500 yds. I also use an old west 400 grn nasa bullet by Bernie Rowels that perfoms very well and last is a buffalo arms mould for a 425 grn PP bullet that's good. My rifle is 1-16 twist I think. Check your rifles twist rate first and then start working on a bullet.
    I cast from 20-1 alloy lube with SPG or emmerts and load for 1150-1200 fps.
    What I recommend as to loads is start at a powder charge wad stack that is no compression no airspace this is the starting point. Work up in 2-3 grn increments testing as you go, this slightly increases charge compression and velocity. If possible chronograph as you go watching velocity, extreme spread and standard deviation. as the compression goes up burn will become cleaner ex will become smaller and groups become better. When you find the 2 points that are closest to what you want test at the mid point of the loads IE 57gtns and 60 grns then test at 58 grns.
    Powder a .060 wad and a .002 tracing paper or newsprint wad compress to depth and seat the bullet

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Any of these bullets will provide excellent accuracy in a 40-65

Saeco 640 40-65 1:16 381gr
    Saeco 740 40-65 1:16 421gr
    Saeco JIM NASA 40-65 444gr
    BACO 450400 40-65 400gr

A friend's wife shoots a Pedersoli .40-65 & if you want long range accuracy, try an "Old West Bullet Moulds" 410 gr. NASA bullet over 67 grs. of 3f Goex express- she hit the 1538 yard "Billy Dixon" Indian 3 of 5 shots on the last outing- her girl friend hit it 4 of 5 with the same load.

And here's a read ... http://historicshooting.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=514
    Regards
    John

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Don't know anything bout the caliber but that is a beautiful rifle.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

In Remembrance

I have one myself. Great rifle for long range shooting with black powder loads once you figure out what works. For best results, check with the expert: texas mac. her is a link to his website: http://www.texas-mac.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    I have one myself. Great rifle for long range shooting with black powder loads once you figure out what works. For best results, check with the expert: texas mac. her is a link to his website: http://www.texas-mac.com/
    Yep he has a lot of good stuff about the Browning rifles.
    For just general Black powder cartridge reloading and shooting go to
    https://shilohrifle.com/forums/
    Those guys on the web site are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Boolit Grand Master

Well the guys here have helped me a bunch also. They are also very good shooters and at passing information along. You just need to ask the questions