Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 22TCM can cast boolits, a crimp question.

Boolit Master

22TCM can cast boolits, a crimp question.

So, I have a pretty accurate load based on the Lyman 225438 powder coated and checked. I use one of Al's expanders to get a good clean seating, works very well. The issue I am facing is one that I am not used to dealing with... How to crimp the darn thing. I have the Lee die set and and am not happy with the crimp. I would like to find a decent taper crimp die. All I want to do is fit the neck down to the bullet, I really do not want a strong crimp. The bullet is held well enough by neck tension, but the last step on the die leaves them just a tiny bit open.

So, what are all of you doing in this case?

Boolit Master

How are you seating the bullet with the lee dies? I see on the lee site. It said something about ordering a separate part. Im going to probably go with the Hornady dies. Ok 'nuf on that. Maybe you can crimp with a 223 crimp die?
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I have the lee 22TCM set that was made after the 22TCM was intro'ed. It has a full length sizer, seat die and some kind of powder die. The seat die wants to crimp, but does not do very well at all. I do not like the dies very much, and may have to order another seater from someone else. The case is so short that I do not know what else to try. It has really not been a problem, the neck tension seems to work and the extra .001 expansion does not hang up, but I just do not like the unfinished round.

Boolit Master

I was looking at these. But lee dose not have them on the site. Im afraid if i order them i'll get the 2 die set.
    https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=20084
    So im going to get these.
    https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=20943
    This guy does a great job explaining loading for 22tcm. And he's comical to boot lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhj3wUc_ZkM
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I've Both sets. Got the Hornady first and didn't like the way it worked when using it to size down cut cases. So I bought the Lee set. It works better for me in necking down .223 cut cases, but I like the hornady for loading.
    It's set up on my 650XL and does decent job of crimping. Really don't need much at all, as there is no recoil to back the bullets up..... I've GC'd mine, then powder coated or vice versa, it doesn't matter, and I've left off GC and just PC'd them. No lead either way. I just shoot off hand, so accuracy is about the same... But such a hoot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I was looking at these. But lee dose not have them on the site. Im afraid if i order them i'll get the 2 die set.
    https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/...ducts_id=20084
    That is the set that I have, they work fairly well but the powder die does nothing for me as I single stage load. I would just love to put the smallest of taper crimp on them. BTW, using the Ideal 255438 44 grain round nose and it is flawless.

Boolit Mold
    My tcm set is ch4d with Lee fcd added. I need to go cut a 22 cal m style size button for it I want to load cast.
    I use the fcd to remove that tiny lip at the case mouth that is sometimes left over.
    It is a collet type fcd.

Boolit Buddy

Not important for the rifle, but the crimp on pistol cartridges is worth some attention. The steep feed ramp can cause a bullet to move back into the neck. This is a very high pressure round as is and the case is usually very full of powder...just an observation from my early endeavors with the TCM22.

I love bringing the pistol to the indoor range on the weekends when the rifles are hammering targets at 7-10 yards. It is an attention grabber for sure. I much prefer it to the FN 5.7s I have tried.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Grand Master

The seat die wants to crimp, but does not do very well at all.
    Sounds like a die adjustment problem. Unless the stem is not adjustable, you can back off the die until the crimp feature no longer works and lower the stem to correct seating depth.A roll crimp can be adjusted to just remove the flare, without rolling a crimp..
    My Anchor is holding fast!

ADMIN

I have to look as its been a few years since I loaded any 22tcm. I loaded a bunch initially and haven't shot enough to load more.
    I have the hornady , lee and CH4D die sets.
    I ended up using a die out of each set to get it to load successfully.
    I would have to go look and see what dies I used to do what.

I forgot to mention, I load on a 550. I had a custom powder funnel made that was like the pistol style.
    That solved a lot of issues.
    I had a extra funnel made for 22 hornet too as that was always a issue getting the perfect loading done.