RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRP trigger kit for Springfield XD/XDM...anyone tried one?

PRP trigger kit for Springfield XD/XDM...anyone tried one?

I have been hearing interesting things about the PRP(Powder River Precision) trigger kits for the Springfield XD/XDM line of handguns. They are supposed to decrease pull to around 3.5-4.5 lb and be much crisper than factory stock.
    I like the way my XD/XDM guns perform with the exception of the triggers. If this would actually fix that issue, I would gladly invest the money and time installing them.
    Has anyone tried these and have experience with them?

Boolit Master
    The springs will reduce the pull. I have an xdm 10mm that I put in the PRP Ultimate Easy Fit Trigger Kit and liked how the reset was reduced to virtually no take-up and then I worked on the trigger bump on back of trigger so there was limited over travel. I have read about putting in the sear but for what I was wanting the possible benefit from a new sear I didn't see necessary. I have read where most (who have done both sear and without) can't tell the difference between the factory and the PRP sear.

I have also put in a Springer Precision Kit and this is ok as well. I prefer the PRP however if a person has smaller hands the Springer kit does set the trigger back closer to the grip.

Boolit Master

I spent the xtra and got the comp trigger for my 9mm XDM after i tried a friends. Reduced take up, overtravel and breaks about 1.5-2 lbs. Not a carry trigger by far but nice. Easy installation that you can enjoy for a few hours.
    Last edited by Greg S; 06-04-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I had my 9mm XD-M 5.25 done. Very pleased with the results. Consistent trigger pull at 3# 3oz. Very nice people. Quick service, i dropped the gun off on a Monday and it was done on Thursday.

Put one in my XDs, well worth the money.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    I put one in my xdm 5.25 40 it breaks at 3lbs 4 oz. and my xds both were big improvements

Boolit Master

Just verified mine with an RCBS trigger gauge as the above sounded abit light. 2.5-2.75 lbs. That is with the lighter spring(s). G

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Put one in my XDs, well worth the money.
    I would 2nd this comment.

I did the entire kit (sear + springs) and it made the gun much easier to shoot.
    One thing is it can be a real bugger to get in correctly. A 3rd hand would definitely be helpful in this instance. I think I disassembled my gun about 4 times trying to get everything correctly into place.

Do yourself a favor if you are going to install the kit. Purchase a few extra roll pins. Inevidably you will bugger one up, even when using a set of roll pin punches.

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith used a kit for my XD 40 and then fine tuned it. I don't know which kit it was, but it is around 3.25-3.5 pounds according to him. It is light, but not too light, as I have shot a number of different types competitions with it which include running around a course of fire. It is night and day difference from a stock xd trigger and some of the factory triggers were awful. The travel and reset is very short, but it doesn't hit primers as hard so spm are no good (got a bunch when they were greatly discounted). My AR 9mm build had the same problem with a stock trigger and light springs with those primers so I went to a 3gun trigger on that one and only use the magnums in the carbine.

My mom's xd9 trigger was so bad that it wan't possible to dry fire without moving the gun slightly. My brother's xd 40 trigger is ok and I don't mind the stock trigger on my XDs 45 at all, but that is a carry gun.

The XD is completely new and better feeling with a great trigger and the kits definitely improve that, with better results when hand fit, based on trying other people's triggers but not having actually installed any myself.

Thank you all for your responses. This is the information I was needing to make my decision.

Boolit Mold
    Funny to see this here since I had dinner with the owner and his two delightful boys last night in CDA. PRP makes the best XD parts, among many other things. I've been installing PRP trigger kits in customers guns for many years. Pretty normal pattern to install a new PRP trigger kit and then have the customer bring me all the rest of their XDs so I can do the rest.
    Don't forget the firing pins/strikers and the firing pin retaining pin. The PRP firing pin retaining pin on the XDs is cheap insurance. I install them on every XD I touch.

Boolit Master
    Like many guns I have heard the stock trigger will get better with a lot of shooting , but like many revolver guys I am spoiled to good triggers and couldn’t wait. My XD-E 45 trigger has lost over a pound over 5 now under 4 in a few thousand rounds , it is another Springfield I am really happy with and carry about 95% of the time , I prefer DA/SA autos for carry if PRP made parts for it I would have them in it.

Boolit Master
    Interesting, I recently picked up the xdM in 10mm and it has a nice trigger..I wonder if they did anything in-house about that recently.
    Just measured it, 5 1/2#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 07-01-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Interesting, I recently picked up the xdM in 10mm and it has a nice trigger..I wonder if they did anything in-house about that recently.

I don’t know if they have , my stock triggers were not bad , more accomplished shooters would probably be fine with them . But I need all the help I can get .
    And some stock triggers are much better than others .

Boolit Master
    Just measured it, 5 1/2#.

I kept the factory sear in my 10mm XDM and simply put in the striker safety lever and trigger to remove the long trigger pre-travel/take up on the XDM trigger. The Ultimate Easy Fit kit comes with trigger and sear spring which made the trigger pull really nice as well.

I am a satisfied with the outcome.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    I kept the factory sear in my 10mm XDM and simply put in the striker safety lever and trigger to remove the long trigger pre-travel/take up on the XDM trigger. The Ultimate Easy Fit kit comes with trigger and sear spring which made the trigger pull really nice as well.

I am a satisfied with the outcome.
    Easy job?

Easy job?

I would like to know that answer myself.
    I have watched a number of videos detailing the conversion process.
    Of course, all of them were done by someone who had experience doing this and they made it look easy.
    I don't know what possible problems there might be a person could run into that were not discussed or shown during the videos.

Boolit Master
    It’s always tough to answer how difficult something is for someone else not knowing what experience , mechanical aptitude and tools they have .
    That said with the good tutorial videos available if you can see what tools were used and prepare before starting I am no gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination but have some mechanical aptitude and I like working on things . Putting in the PRP kit ( I have done 3 different ones XD-S XDM 3.8 & 5.25 ) I don’t recall any problems doing the work at all. Any new gun I will fire 200 to a 1000 rounds before doing anything to see if they have a problem that requires return to the factory , this also gives them time to develop some wear patterns that can show where I might want polish to smooth the action.

Boolit Master
    That answers my question nicely, thank you.

Well, I just ordered a PRP trigger for my XDm 45. It will be interesting to see how well it works and how easy it is to install.
    I did order the punch set to go with it. Hopefully that will make it easier.
    If it works well, I will order another trigger for my XDm 9mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast