Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 54 tc maxi ball

54 tc maxi ball

I won an auction on flea bay for a tc made maxi ball mold in 54 cal. Yes, I have a problem with collecting molds. These cast at 430 grains? Anyone shot these at game? Pretty happy with the 50 cal version, so I thought the _4 might be fun to fool with in my new England.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I have hunted a lot with the standard maxi ball, and the maxi hunter with the roundnose and a dimple in the nose, which one do you have? I have taken around 43 deer here in Ky an Tenn., most of them 150 yds and under, and most traveled a short distance when hit with a .54 caliber slug, usually about 26", straight down. I have a 1" Hawken barrel, .54 on a Renegade stock that has been glass bedded. With scope, it will shoot a cloverleaf at 100yds, with the Maxi HUnter or Lyman plains bullet, 450 grain. I shoot them with 105 grs of 2ffg, with a vegetable fiber wad, oiled underneath to protect the base. I worked up in 5 grain increments, in a machine rest I made, at 105grs it all came together, when I went to 110, it opened up again. At last count around 47 deer had fallen to this combo. I used to get in on some cull hunts, and have killed 4-6 deer in a weekend where they were badly overpopulated, on crop predation tags. I gave 2 to hunters for the hungry, and processed them when I got them home. Was a busy two days.

Maxi ball is what I bought. Elk are on the menu, so I don't want the rapid expansion of the hunter.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    It works just like you want on Elk. My hunting partner and I got Elk in the 90's with them in the .54's

Boolit Master

Took A Big PIG with one in central Calif. back about 30 years ago. Went right thru him side to side, broke a rib going in, and one going out.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have a T/C Maxi-ball mold too. It drops 435 gr. consistently.

Boolit Master
    Got the same mold only because its rare. Gave up some time back not shooting those heavy weights in my Hawken 54. 100 gr charge of Gorex Black with a crescent butt stock. Did a number more than once on my right upper arm & shoulder. Uf Da!!