Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M1 Garand try to size cases

Boolit Buddy
    The majority of slam fires are caused by improperly sized brass or improperly seated primers. You all realize that the long range (LR) loads are loaded with Federal Large Rifle Match primers (210M) right? These are the premier sniper loads used in the US Army's M14 derived sniper rifle. So how many 10s of thousands of those rounds have been fired in Iraq and Afghanistan? If slam fires were a common occurrence as some of you contend, the ammo would be restricted from use and an alternative found. No such restriction exists. Small base dies size the case to smaller than SAMMI specifications. If new brass, which is made to specification, does not result in slam fires, why size it even smaller? None of the High Power shooters, both M1A and AR-15, I competed with used small base dies. All of us used our own reloads and made sure the ammo was as perfect as we could make it. Brass was always full length sized in regular or full length collet type dies. Primers were all seated slightly below level like they are supposed to be.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Bill,

I agree with you: Cartridge cases fired in a Garand or M14 will go back into the rifle that the case was fired in. There is absolutely NO NEED to resize those cases to "fit all rifles of that caliber." All my many rifles are custom reloaded to that individual rifle's specs and NO other, that is why I label all reloads to a specific rifle.

Some day reloaders will stop over sizing brass. In the 1980s, the belted magnum reloaders finally got a clue and resized to the case shoulder. Back off the resizing die a turn or two and let the individual rifle "tell" you when you have resized enough. I NEVER had a slam fire in my Match M-14s or Garands. I have never owned, or needed, a Small Base sizing die. I have been reloading since 1961.

Adam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123