RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Carbine cases

Boolit Master

Right now, I have only 3 carbines, but I've had as many as 14 at one time and used the same reloaded ammo in all of them. As long as the case was within spec for case length, there was no problem in any of the carbines. I didn't even have any problems with cases that were a bit short since with the tapered case, the cartridge will often not reach the front of the chamber before the sides of the case stop it. The only "problem" I ever had was with one particular Saginaw that must have had a rough gas port. It would accumulate lead in the piston chamber and needed to be cleaned every 3-4 hundred cast rounds. None of the other carbines that I've owned ever had that problem. I should note that I've owned and shot 28 of them including a full auto M2. And yes, I even shot cast in the M2 without problems.

Boolit Master

I am no expert cuz my Ruger BH with the 7.5" tube eats any .30 carbine round that fits into it's chambers. I bought 500 new cases frm Starline and many of them have over 25 reloadings on them. I have yet to toss one of those cases unless I goofed the process badly. However that is one LOUD GUN!
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    I am no expert cuz my Ruger BH with the 7.5" tube eats any .30 carbine round that fits into it's chambers. I bought 500 new cases frm Starline and many of them have over 25 reloadings on them. I have yet to toss one of those cases unless I goofed the process badly. However that is one LOUD GUN!
    Uh.........ear plugs?

Seriously, my favorite load these days is 11 grains of 2400 under a 130 grain gas checked boolit. VERY reliable and accurate as all get out in my IAI repro carbine.

I've owned several carbines over the years, including one with a weird "switch" near the receiver ring.....one of the major reasons I took up reloading. Anyone remember "The Enforcer"? A carbine cut down to form a pistol.....I had that thing long enough to fire a full 30 round magazine and decided it was a novelty and nothing more. Sold it.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 06-09-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I had some steel case WW2 carbine ammo. Fire the ammo & leave the cases. While you can reload them, they like to stick in the chamber with out some kind of varnish/ lube on them.

Boolit Master

Steel cases are very hard on carbine extractors. Those sticking cases will often break the edge on the extractor causing extraction/ejection problem and making replacement of the extractor necessary. Even the soft steel cases made for the military during WWII were only allowed to be used for stateside training for that reason. I recommend not shooting any steel cases unless you have a junk carbine and don't mind buying and replacing extractors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12