Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Afternoon project: Range Cart.

Boolit Buddy

Afternoon project: Range Cart.

I got tired of putting my rifles in a case or gun sock then loading them in the tractor bucket to get them to the back side of the property to shoot. Even though they were stowed they still seem to get little dings now and then because I leaned them up against the tractor or folding table.

So last week I picked up a golf bag cart at a garage sale for $5 and came up with this Range Cart this afternoon. All material other than the cart was on hand.

Here is the before photo.
    I had just removed the straps and the ball, tee and score card holder.

And this is the after, nearly complete cart. Needs a couple finishing touches like Velcro strap to hold barrels and felt to line butt stock holder but otherwise functional.

It even holds my range bag.

Folds up nicely too.

Boolit Master
    I like it. Only problem is that my range bag is a bit bigger than yours. Old instrument case, sort of like a small suitcase. That holds my ammo, targets,stapler, spotting scope and tripod that sits in the bench and some minor hand tools also a take down bench rest with bags. If I'm just shooting hand guns most of my stuff will fit in a 20" tool bag I bought at Lowes. I was looking for one like the bench rest shooters use. 4 wheels and what looks like a big milk crate or the other one that has heavy nylon cloth for the sides. I walk with a cane and right handed. Usually only two to three rifles at most. For the pistols and revolvers 3-4 at most. Was thinking of getting one of the Kobalt storage tubs and making a little dolly for it 4 wheels and a tow rope. But with sears taking over as Lowes house brand they have shrunk any displays kobalt has. And was in Lowes looking for a 1/3 rd sheet corded sander. People look at me as if I have three heads. Thanks,Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Frank,
    I'm still exploring ideas of how to carry more on the cart.
    This is mostly for use on the property here, only a couple hundred yards at most. So if I forget something I can always walk back to my shop and get it.

As a bonus when folded up the cart is stable enough to be used as a rifle rack in the shop when I'm working on them.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Job there. The golf carts do a good job. Several had the powered ones with a unit that clipped on your belt and the cart just followed along at the nationals a few years back.
    I made one similar with a horizontal ball hitch and pulled it with my mountain bike LOL. Mine used 20" bicycle tires ( rolled easier and smoother over rough terrain). Another that was popular was the folding wagons used by boaters.
    You might consider a Velcro strap both top and bottom just to be sure the rifles are secure. Another might be to make up some eyes a 4 2 top and 2 bottom and a simple cloth covered bungee cord for each

Boolit Master
    Surplus nylon slings for the M16 & M4 with velcro should work very well. Frank

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Yes i do like it. My range has a small hill to go up and down and it really works on this old fat man carrying stuff up and down.

In Remembrance
    Great idea, and nice job of building it. I have a three wheeled jogging stroller I got for nothing to make something similar. Pictures are available on-line of those units.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Very nice I used a little red wagon I modified when I was going to the range to haul my gear when I went I made a day out of it so I was carrying lots of toys.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I used a $15 Craigslist baby jogger and some ATV gun mounts. Gives you room for a range bag and even a small cooler at the bottom.