Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: TVM kits

TVM kits

Anyone have any experience with kits from TVM (Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading)? Thinking about building another rifle and their selection of kits gives me enough choices. I've done three rifles now, the last one being from a plank so... guess the addiction is taking hold LOL!

Boolit Master
    You can also try pecatonica long rifles out of Illinois. There prices are pretty good and they cut a lot more patterns to choose from.

Boolit Mold
    I built one- the first and only so far, outside of production kits- from a TVM kit, an "Iron Pennsylvania". I was entirely satisfied with it, both in the quality of the parts and the stock, and it built up into a fine rifle, despite my inexperience. Since this is your 4th build, you'll probably find TVM a relative breeze. They were really a pleasure to do business with as well. Communications, timeline and everything was good to go.

What are they running price wise? The Jim Kibler kits I have seen look like the best value out there now.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone know of a SXS shotgun kit?

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    What are they running price wise? The Jim Kibler kits I have seen look like the best value out there now.
    Kibler kits are $1050 but they are practically a bolt together gun after finishing the metal and wood. The "builders kit" at TVM is more interesting to me and only $700 + shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    You can also try pecatonica long rifles out of Illinois. There prices are pretty good and they cut a lot more patterns to choose from.
    Thanks for the suggestion, will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone know of a SXS shotgun kit?
    The Pedersoli website lists a 10 ga. Waterfowl SXS shotgun kit. --->>> https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...rfowl-kit.html

I don't know if they offer any others or not and can't count on their website.
    One would need to speak to a knowledgeable dealer, or their US distributor the Italian Firearms Group, etc...

Met some TVM folks at Friendship this weekend. Great folks and a family business of tradition. The kits I saw looked well priced for the quality components with it. They had a great youth package as well. As soon as I get some experience on a kit I inherited, I’m tempted to try one out! By the way, barrels are Rice and Colerain from my conversations with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonym View Post
    Met some TVM folks at Friendship this weekend. Great folks and a family business of tradition. The kits I saw looked well priced for the quality components with it. They had a great youth package as well. As soon as I get some experience on a kit I inherited, I’m tempted to try one out! By the way, barrels are Rice and Colerain from my conversations with them.
    Thanks!

In Remembrance
    I met the TVM folks several years ago at a SE rendezvous, came THAT close to buying one of their shop-built left hand flinters. Price at that time was about the same as their kits now! Woulda-shoulda-coulda.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Banned

TVM has good "kits", so does Jim Kibler and I prefer Jim's. Understand that none of these onshore "kits" are anything like those screwdriver offshore kits, and basically what yer getting is a reasonably CNC'd stock that Will require a buncha fitting and wood work - got building chops? got good tools?

I've got a friend that built one of their kits several years ago. Its a .32 cal. flintlock. 42" octagonal barrel with all browned metal. Looks 160-170 years old.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Bub
    The newest Muzzleloader magazine has a write-up on a build with a kit from TVM. The author was very satisfied with the kit.

I looked at Pecatonica’s site and they a greater selection of kits but the price for everything is about the same or a little more than TVM.

Banned

there are kits and then there are KITS. the key ingredient is the stock, which can vary from literally an outlined plank to one that this fully CNC inletted and mortised. that's what trad muzzleloader kits are all primarily about - the condition of stock. almost no one is a "gunmaker" these dayze, where custom guns are built by "stockmakers" simply because the barrel and lock are both pre-made. the furniture can be scratch built or pre-made as well. this comes down to one's level of crafting skills - and tooling. the offshore "screwdriver" kits are, for the most part, just that - only a screwdriver is required to put the parts together along with very minor fitting. TVM and Jim Kibler kits have CNC machined and inletted stocks that will always require fitting, but the real hard work is done, and that's always about making a proper trad muzzleloader long gun stock. it will really pay to question kit makers about the stocks they're offering, and then assess that against yer abilities and tool chest.