RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 38-55 bullet suggestions???

Boolit Master

38-55 bullet suggestions???

My home built HighWall single shot 38-55 project is nearing completion (baring no farm equipment breakdowns!) and I am going to be buying dies and molds now. Since this is my very first experience with the 38-55 I can only guess as to where to start if I do it on my own so here are the particulars, barrel blank is a Green Mountain 1-12 twist .375 x 27" long (actual finished and installed length should be 24" to 25"), would like to go longer length but 27" was as long as was available at GM in the raw blank version. This is going to be mainly a paper and steel plate killer with maybe the possibility of occasional long range Coyote sniping (my trusty T/C Contender carbine in .204 Ruger usually serves that purpose), these paper/steel targets are at 100, 200, 375 yards but a bullet that would work at longer ranges would be desirable. I have a bunch of different caliber Lee molds that were cheap and ok (barely) and would consider another one if there happens to be an exceptional one for this caliber, which I seriously doubt is the case, but I think I would rather buy a quality mold with a bullet of known quality and performance for what I intend to use it for an suggestions?
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    I would contact Bear Creek Supply out in CA and look at their moly/poly coated 255 grain FP boolit. I got 300 of them sized .380 for my rifle with a .379 bore. Every one I pulled from the box measured .380, and all were +/- 1.5 grains of the stated 255. They stock them in .377, .378, .379 and .380. They are $39.95 for 300 plus flat rate box shipping. I got mine in about a week from placing the order over the phone after a pleasant lengthy discussion with a very knowledgeable owner. I was very surprised to learn that he was still able to do business in CA. GF

Boolit Grand Master

I have a C Sharps high wall with 1-12 barrel (McGowen) in 38-55 I shoot Black Powder loads in it. It does very well out to 500yds with both the 335 Lyman "postel" style bullet and a 360 grn Nasa style from Old West moulds by Bernie Rowels. A friend is doing good with the rcbs 312 grn bullet in his 38-55. We both cast from 20-1 alloy for these bullets. My loads run in the 1200 fps range. A ram at 500yds isn't at all safe LOL.
    The big issues with long range coyote sniping will be reading the wind over the distance, and time of flight of these big bullets. Even at a slow pace a coyote can move a lot in the time it tkes a bullet to get there.
    The 1-12 twist will like the longer length bullets and shine with them. The heavier weight will carry velocity and energy better. In reality the 25" length wont be giving up much velocity to my 30" barrel. If using iron sights it does give up some sight radius though. If using a scope then this isn't an issue.

What I would recommend is acquiring some known bullets with known lube and testing them in the rifle to see what it really likes and performs with then buying that mould. 20-23 bullets gives a good idea of performance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    My home built HighWall single shot 38-55 project is nearing completion (baring no farm equipment breakdowns!) and I am going to be buying dies and molds now. Since this is my very first experience with the 38-55 I can only guess as to where to start if I do it on my own so here are the particulars, barrel blank is a Green Mountain 1-12 twist .375 x 27" long (actual finished and installed length should be 24" to 25"), would like to go longer length but 27" was as long as was available at GM in the raw blank version. This is going to be mainly a paper and steel plate killer with maybe the possibility of occasional long range Coyote sniping (my trusty T/C Contender carbine in .204 Ruger usually serves that purpose), these paper/steel targets are at 100, 200, 375 yards but a bullet that would work at longer ranges would be desirable. I have a bunch of different caliber Lee molds that were cheap and ok (barely) and would consider another one if there happens to be an exceptional one for this caliber, which I seriously doubt is the case, but I think I would rather buy a quality mold with a bullet of known quality and performance for what I intend to use it for an suggestions?
    If you are shooting blackpowder the LEE 379-250-RF gives nothing away to the expensive molds at coyote ranges (say 250 yards) - If you have that mold already try it before you go shopping for something else

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The Lyman 335 bullet and 4198 powder will be your friend in that rifle.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I’m a newbie to the 38-55 and the Lee 250 works fine for my JES rebore 94. I size to .377” and I am pleased with it. Mine is not a target gun but I can hit clays at 100 yards with it.

Boolit Master

I shot A LOT of Bear Creek Bullets when My Kids and I were Cowboy Shooting. For almost 20yrs.
    No leading, the black moly was a bit disconcerting at first in cleaning. But Hoppe's did just fine.

Used to by them at the Range from another shooter. Thought they were out of business.

Glad to hear they're not.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Lyman 375449, Hornady crimp on gas check, and 3031 powder

Good luck on your project.

https://www.shootersforum.com/bullet...a-38-55-a.html
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    OldRed,
    I have several rifles in this cartridge and few others in the this caliber with a larger case preceding this bullet. Where you have a 1:12 twist it will stabilize a heavier bullet allowing it to perform a little better in the wind... if that is ever an issue for you shooting targets or plate. I have a couple of strategies I use and it involves different bullet weights for different yardages but that is irrelevant. In most of my rifles I've had very good luck with one bullet in particular, it's a product of Buffalo Arms - number JIM376360M3 - they may say it's of of stock but I've had good luck with my orders with them - fairly prompt... just my 2 cents.

Boolit Master
    For anything over 200 yds. you will want something like the Lyman 335 grainer.

My Hiwall also has a 1:12 twist and I purchased a Paul Jones 375gn boolit. Used in association with Starline long (1.125") brass it uses a full 50gns Swiss 1 1/2.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I usually try to buy 100 bullets of the size and weight I want for a new gun first. Or hit up some friends for some bullets in whatever size they use. I'd rather do some testing first than buy a mold and then find out my gun doesn't like it.
    But for a .38-55 it's tough to beat a bullet in the 250-255 gr. weight. I'd start by buying 100 in this weight range and work up a best load with it.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry about taking so long to get back but I have been on the road for the last few days. The Lyman 335 sounds like a winner and while talking with the owner of the gun shop I stop by frequently I found a fella that casts that bullet and was willing to sell me some so I will give those a try out when I get the rifle shooting. I hadn't done much research on available bullets until now, I probably should have mentioned that I likely would not be interested in flat nosed bullets for this single shot.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master

With your barrel length of 24-25" the lyman should be very good for you. In my High wall with 30" barrels in hot dry weather it seems to be a little light on lube for BP. After a string and blow tubing I sometimes feel a little harder fouling the last 2" or so of the barrel. Not crusty just stiffer or harder. With your shorter barrel length you should be better off here.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I think I would rather buy a quality mold with a bullet of known quality and performance for what I intend to use it for any suggestions?
    MOA at 100 - 200 - 300yds with Accurate Mold of the clone of the original Ideal 375166 ...
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=38-320E-D.png
    Regards
    John