WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any old Levergun advertisements, Signs, Antiques?

Any old Levergun advertisements, Signs, Antiques?

I know there are specific sections for these things but they aren't quite as active.

Do any of you guys have any cool pieces of lever gun history? Signs, tins, original ammo boxes, Old paper advertisements..etc!

They would be neat to see if you could post pictures.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here's my favorite:

Attachment 242871
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

There are a lot of reproductions around, especially on eBay. There are also some cool reprints of old pictures with leverguns. Originals are rare and expensive.

Boolit Master
    It's not an original,but one of my favourites!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I love seeing the prices on some of the old stuff. I wish I could go back in time sometimes I have a few signs of my own but they are all repros.

Moderator Emeritus

My favourite is a Winchester ad which accompanied me to about 100 (or more ) Hunter Safety classes!Attachment 242881 I'd ask students to note hunter violations of "safety rules" -- which include the hunter running with his finger in trigger guard while hopping over a limb, aiming at a running deer with no idea what's behind ("know your target and beyond!) it, as well as a few other minor ones. I do not recall from whence -- e.g., what magazine this appeared in -- but I've never seen another copy. Maybe someone "with a brain" suggested to the Winchester promoters, say, "safer" demonstrations of their firearms in use?
    geo

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I love seeing the prices on some of the old stuff. I wish I could go back in time sometimes I have a few signs of my own but they are all repros.
    No kidding! 1000 rounds for $35!
    But..... inflation adjusted amounts to $974.....

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    My favourite is a Winchester ad which accompanied me to about 100 (or more ) Hunter Safety classes!Attachment 242881 I'd ask students to note hunter violations of "safety rules" -- which include the hunter running with his finger in trigger guard while hopping over a limb, aiming at a running deer with no idea what's behind ("know your target and beyond!) it, as well as a few other minor ones. I do not recall from whence -- e.g., what magazine this appeared in -- but I've never seen another copy. Maybe someone "with a brain" suggested to the Winchester promoters, say, "safer" demonstrations of their firearms in use?
    geo
    Looks to me like the hunter is straddling the log and bringing the rifle to his shoulder. Where do you get "running?" How do you know the hunter does not know what is beyond his target other? You seem ro have lots of things to bother about that are not on your plate.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    No kidding! 1000 rounds for $35!
    But..... inflation adjusted amounts to $974.....

It was still expensive for the 19th century. I saw an advertisement for an 1886 winchester and it was for 25$. People had to save up alot of money for ONE rifle. Not like today that we could own multiple rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    It was still expensive for the 19th century. I saw an advertisement for an 1886 winchester and it was for 25$. People had to save up alot of money for ONE rifle. Not like today that we could own multiple rifles.
    Very true. I have an 1886 45-90 that was delivered to an ancestor for $19 total in October of 1886. $28 with the unknown quantity of ammunition that was purchased at the same time. Likely took a pile of remount horses and big steers to get that bought. But apparently it was enough of an improvement over the Spencer he had that it became a necessity.

Very true. I have an 1886 45-90 that was delivered to an ancestor for $19 total in October of 1886. $28 with the unknown quantity of ammunition that was purchased at the same time. Likely took a pile of remount horses and big steers to get that bought. But apparently it was enough of an improvement over the Spencer he had that it became a necessity.

I wish mine Was from my family. Instead it's the first gun I bought myself

I have an 1895 Winchester in .35 WCF ... but unfortunately I didn't pay $25 for it ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Inflation is nothing new. I have a copy of Frank Mayer's book, The Buffalo Runners. When he decided to go west and hunt the big shaggies in the mid 1870s he paid $225 for his Sharps rifle and reloading gear. He said he later bought another Sharps in a different caliber. He went on to say that after the last big hunt in the early '80s and the buffalo were gone, you could buy a nice Sharps or Remington in any Denver gun shop for $25. He never sold his and still had two of them when he passed in the early 1950s.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I have this rifle my great grandfather bought in 1899 was professionally reblued in the 70s by my dad Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F90DE3F-E362-4E33-AB7B-1087AC1516E8.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	242977
    Will do 4-5” groups at 100 yards with 170gr cast flat points and iron sights 30-40krag chambering though

Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    I have this rifle my great grandfather bought in 1899 was professionally reblued in the 70s by my dad Click image for larger version. 

Will do 4-5” groups at 100 yards with 170gr cast flat points and iron sights 30-40krag chambering though
    Do you shoot it often?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I have an 1895 Winchester in .35 WCF ... but unfortunately I didn't pay $25 for it ...
    Yeah... I have 8 of them in 35 that cost a bit more than that also.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post

Is that a Williams on the receiver? I have a 30-03 with that combo and can't seem to get the rear sight out of the picture inside of the 250 yard mark. And I'm fairly certain that I can't even see a 4-5" group with that thing in the way! Nice rifle.

Yeah... I have 8 of them in 35 that cost a bit more than that also.....

You must really like that caliber.

I have a nice 95 Win original in 3006. I had 3 hunting buddies that were brothers and were die hard Remington fans. When I bought the 95 I paid $100 for it and they were hacking on me because for another $29 I could have bought a new 700 Rem. In their honor in my gun room is the Remington poster of the guy meeting a Grizz on a mountain path. I added the title as SOL just to hack on them. Sadly they have all three passed and from natural causes. They didn't have to go through with tackling a Grizz with a Remington on a mountain path.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast