Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 5744 Replacement Testing With S.W. Buffalo Rifle. Large Or Small Case?

Boolit Grand Master

5744 Replacement Testing With S.W. Buffalo Rifle. Large Or Small Case?

I am going to test out some cast boolits a member here gave me in my 416 Ruger. Most of the data I have found for lighter 300gr cast uses 5744 which is kinda pricey. I ran across several web posts including information from Shooters World that Buffalo Rifle is a direct replacement but have no data. I bought 8lbs of it at a gunshow to try it.

My question is would it be better to start testing in a smaller case than the 416 to see how it compares or would it matter?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think case size makes a difference for what you want to find out? Whenever I do this I like a sample of both powders to test at same time same loads. FWIW I understand that they ARE the same powder, just different packaging, so all you are dealing with would be lot to lot variations. AA5744 is like $5-10 a pound higher than most powders here.
    Charter Member #148

I would like to see your results?
    To bad you are not doing 45/70, as I was interested in Shooters World Powder.

Wondering if anyone else has Tried Buffalo Rife in a 45/70, under a 405 Hard Cast Boolit?

Thx,
    Barman 5
    out

Boolit Master

Hi. Yes, I’ve tried (and use) Buffalo Rifle in lieu of AA5744. I was told that the Shooters World Buffalo Rifle (Lovex D060) is the same powder used in earlier versions of 5744. I use exactly the same load data for both, and then might tweak slightly for accuracy. I also use this powder for cast loads in my .45 Colts, .260 Rem, .30-06, and .300 Sav with excellent results. I’m on the road, so don’t have specific load data or pics of groups. Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi. Yes, I’ve tried (and use) Buffalo Rifle in lieu of AA5744. I was told that the Shooters World Buffalo Rifle (Lovex D060) is the same powder used in earlier versions of 5744. I use exactly the same load data for both, and then might tweak slightly for accuracy. I also use this powder for cast loads in my .45 Colts, .260 Rem, .30-06, and .300 Sav with excellent results. I’m on the road, so don’t have specific load data or pics of groups. Ed
    45LC I have in both revolver and lever. Sounds like a plan to compare velocities with the 5744 published. Thanks
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I'm curious, is buffalo bore as dirty as 5744?

Boolit Buddy
    i got tired of paying the price for 5744. so i got some buffalo rifle and never looked backed. i call ken johnson of shooters world and he told me that buffalo rifle is a one for one replacement for 5744. in my 30-30 loads nra silhouette match loads it is a one for one replacement. i have not used it in anything else. but i shoot a lots of 30-30 getting ready for matches. it does not seem to be a dirty as 5744.

I am a fan of 5744 and have developed 45-70 loads for a TD and '86 Win that are very accurate. However, I find this thread interesting, so I was just looking at the SW and Accurate websites.

The SW website states that Buffalo Rifle powder is a "medium-burn rate powder like aa5744". However, it is my understanding, and stated on the AA website, that 5744 is an "extremely fast-burning powder". Which website is correct?

5744 is now roughly 50% more expensive than 5744, which is a good reason to use Buffalo Rifle, but only if the charges are one to one.

Good thread...

Edit: As to the OP's question, I would think that a large case would be the best place to test Buffalo Rifle against 5744, as 5744 is sold as a premium powder for use in large-capacity BP cases. Just to go head to head with that advertising, so to speak.
    Last edited by 40-82 hiker; 06-05-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    .... I was told that the Shooters World Buffalo Rifle (Lovex D060) is the same powder used in earlier versions of 5744. ..
    Ed
    This is exactly what I was informed.
    I purchased an 8lb jug to try (because, what's the sense in walking in from the shallow end?).
    I was talking to the Shooters World rep at the Wanenmacher show a few months ago. He said that Lovex was the maker of the original 5744. Buffalo Rifle is that formula.

Lovex no longer makes 5744.

The 5744 that is made today is slightly different from the original (I believe just a hair slower ), because it's made in a different plant. I am betting that the difference is inside the lot-to-lot variances of any powder.

Boolit Master
    It works the same for me in my 35 Whelen as 5744 did. I'd start with information you have.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, I have an old bottle of 5744. Says "Made in the Czech Republic". How many powder makers are in the Czech Republic?

It's the same powder. I use it one for one in my .45-70s

Boolit Buddy
    While my 50/95 likes 5744, my .43 Spanish hates it. Plus I don't like the hang fires I get in the .43. Over all I think its over rated.

I tried some Buffalo Rifle yesterday in 223 cases. 14gr. under a Noe 60gr. RN. Very happy with results. When I first tried 5744 a few years ago my complaint was that it burned real dirty in my 30-06 rounds. Not so in this load for the 223. Very clean burn and good accuracy. As I gain more experience, I believe I was using too light of a bullet in those 30-06 loads. Very happy with this powder, glad I bought more than just 1LB. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Couple of us have shot it across chronographs with 30-30 cast loads. The Buffalo is slower than 5744, maybe on the slow side of 4198. Still works well in rifle loads. Buffalo seemed too slow for pistol cartridge loads even with heavy bullets.

Boolit Master
    Still have a few bottles of the AA5744 with the made in the Czech Republic on them. Frank

Boolit Master
    I'm curious about the S W buffalo powder as well since the death of SR 4759 Iv'e been trying to find a good replacement but can't bring myself to pay that kind of money for 5744 so Iv'e been using IMR 3031 or unique depending on the caliber.