Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman Lubrisizer issue

Boolit Master

Lyman Lubrisizer issue

I have a Lyman lubrisizer. I bought it used and do not know its model number. But it is orange, fwiw.

It works pretty well, but there is a small ribbon of lube that extrudes above the plunger that forces the lube down and into the dies. Is there some way of fixing that? Can those plunger pieces be bought as replacement parts? It is not really a big deal, but it is annoying.

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

the "plunger piece" is called a Pressure Nut. The new style has O-rings and is available from Lyman and will work on all the lyman lubesizers with a Hex end on the Pressure screw.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Thanks. That was an absolutely perfect answer. Solves all my problems in one tidy note.

Have a great day!

Boolit Master
    Also available at most Ace Hardware.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Also available at most Ace Hardware.
    Huh? When did Ace start selling ANYTHING from Lyman?

I need to figure out what nose punch for the RCBS 180 grn .38-40 bullet too. Hmm. Bet Ace doesn't have that.

Brent it's either the 45 or 450 I think the 4500 has a different color. but here is a parts list for the 4500 and the 450.
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...lubricator.pdf

http://www.imashooter2.com/Lyman_45.pdf
    Last edited by Lead pot; 06-02-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Back the pressure off a turn or two when not sizing and lubing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BudRow View Post
    Back the pressure off a turn or two when not sizing and lubing.
    Always.

Boolit Master
    The O rings are available from Ace.The pressure nut is not.Depending on the age and model of your lube sizer it may not have O rings.The 45's and some 450's have a brass sleeve around the pressure nut as a seal.I usually replace the old style parts with the new style with O rings.

Boolit Master
    Yes, mine has the brass sleeve. I have been on the Lyman website, but could not find the part, so I left a message for them. I should hear back in a few days.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Huh? When did Ace start selling ANYTHING from Lyman?

I need to figure out what nose punch for the RCBS 180 grn .38-40 bullet too. Hmm. Bet Ace doesn't have that.
    If Ace did have it, it would be $500 bucks!
    I can't remember if you have a lathe. The easiest would be to do like you are and get the part from Lyman. Somehow failing that you can make one on a lathe (Al can or I can for you). They are an east project. I have made parts for a few of my old lube/sizers in a pinch, but always finding correct factory parts is better.

About your nose punch; One of the best pieces of advise I got 30 years ago was to use a simple flat faced top punch for flat nosed bullets. It allows the bullet to center/square itself in the lube die. It also fits whatever style and caliber flatnosed bullet you are working with that day. If you need one of those let me know.

See you in a month.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    The part number for pressure nut with Rings is 2990708 @ $5.79.Part number for 2 O rings is 299068 @ $1.16.Do a search for Lyman replacement parts.They have a separate website for parts and they take orders online.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have the old style pressure nut then the thread is non-standard. I ended up making both the nut and screw, but you can sleeve the original nut and then turn the o-ring grooves.

Top punches - if you know someone with a 3d printer then you can get custom punches for pennies. PLA is plenty strong - I have thousands of rounds each though several printed top punches with essentially no wear. Even if you don't have a drawing for the bullet, Fusion 360 can import an image to scale that can be used as a template.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Yes, mine has the brass sleeve. I have been on the Lyman website, but could not find the part, so I left a message for them. I should hear back in a few days.
    It's under 4500 lubricator sizer parts.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/4500-l...lacement-parts
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    this is great. I'm all over this.

Chill, I don't have a metal lathe - just a wood one. But I think I'm good.

So far, I have been using a flat top punch. It works just as you said and I don't know why to change but if I was ordering this other part, why not the punch too. Maybe I'll just skip that.

I'm loading for Raton. And not just bullets. Got to load the larder too. Beer is mostly chosen and ready. Antelope, pheasant, squirrel, and ducks are sorted and ready. I dehydrated and bagged a huge bunch of wild oyster mushrooms today.

Tonight I'm loading up some .30-40 for fooling around in an old Krag.
    Getting close.

Boolit Grand Master

My 450 has a brass expansion ring instead of rubber O rings .
    I removed the prtessure nut and brass ring , cleaned it and carefully pried the brass ring out of its recess , slightly enlarging it...when re installed ... it no longer leaked . I had bought a Lyman Conversion kit to change it to O ring seal but after cleaning the brass ring and getting it back to it's original shape I just stashed the conversion kit and will change it out if it starts leaking again . Unit was bought in 1972 so the brass ring hadn't been cleaned or adjusted for 45 years .
    Before replacing the brass ring , try cleaning and getting it loose again....the old parts might just surprise you.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastera View Post
    If you have the old style pressure nut then the thread is non-standard. I ended up making both the nut and screw, but you can sleeve the original nut and then turn the o-ring grooves.
    My 45 had the brass sleeve and the thread was the same. I swapped in the newer part without changing the screw. Maybe there was a point where they switched threads but kept the sleeve?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    My 45 had the brass sleeve and the thread was the same. I swapped in the newer part without changing the screw. Maybe there was a point where they switched threads but kept the sleeve?

Of all the different Lyman pressure screws, in all the different units (both model 45 or 450) that I have seen/used, they all had Hex drive, and they are all the same thread, but there were other differences that only mattered in regards to the reservoir cap.

Now, the Ideal #1 pressure screw has different threads and has a square drive.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    i have the dark grey type.......and not very well made IMHO.......fortunately it is an update on the pressed handle that breaks.....anyhoo,the nut and brass rings is from the earlier model......and as you might expect the improvement is solely to do with Lymans profit margin......IMHO,the O ring one leaks lube around the nut something terrible,because the whole assy is all wrong......the O ring grooves are too shallow,or the rings are too big,take your choice,anyhoo,the rings dont fit properly ,and are clipped off ,or extruded from the groove as the piston is installed the first time........lube leaks around the edge.......the grey one has a multitude of machining faults too,which will be familiar to users.......finally,the sizer die retainer has too fine a thread,is easily crossthreaded,which makes the whole casting unserviceable....IMHO,were it made in China ,it would be no worse............hence,buy the RCBS one ,which pinched the old Lyman design...and quality.