RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do aluminum checks have any advantage over copper

Banned

do aluminum checks have any advantage over copper

only a couple bucks cheaper per 1000. Not enough to justify buying them over copper if cost is the only issue. Do they actually do something better?

Boolit Master

I hear tell the copper ones are better over 2000fps. They are quite equal up to that point. I really havent noticed a difference with my shooting from 1000 to 2000 fps in multiple different calibers.

I make own from alluminum so the savings is great. Only takes a couple thousand checks for the tooling to pay for itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Seconding what RC said. Pick some aluminum checks up cheap to try then pick up a check maker. Its pretty cool watching the punching of disks and the cup forming, then applying your own check to your own boolit.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I hate to say it but a couple bucks makes a difference to me . Wife claims i will squeeze a nickel until the buffalo farts. I only just saw the aluminum for sale a few months ago so will try them next time i need them.

Boolit Master
    If you have a bad mold with a fat shank some of the thinner Al checks will go on easier and straighter than thick copper ones. My Lee 8mm mold has such a fat shank I have to buy the thinnest checks I can find or they won’t bottom out on the base.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I have been pondering a GC maker for some time now. So, along with Lloyd Smale, I too am interested in hearing the "Pros & Cons" from those who have things figured out pretty well about the differences between the two.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    I got into making my own cause I couldn't afford to pay Hornady prices and I didn't find any other source before deciding I wanted to make my own. And I just like to do some things myself and farm others out. I cant advise on the difference, seems a non issue for me and the way I do things. But for a couple bucks I'd go with copper.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    My concern has always been with aluminum galling, just like copper builds up but is removable, not sure about aluminum.

Boolit Master
    I have never noticed any build up with al or cu checks.

I make all my own checks from aluminum because I can. More for the fun of it but it does make the cost of checks almost nothing. I make my own check makers as well.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 06-04-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere (probably here) that aluminum will wear your barrel faster because of a thin layer of aluminum oxide that forms on them. I've also read claims that it is a different form of aluminum oxide and not a problem.
    I really don't know; just throwing it out there. I occasionally use aluminum checks if I have them, but I prefer copper even if they cost a bit more.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Do aluminum beer cans work for checks. Or are they too thin?

Boolit Master
    I only purchase them when I need undersized checks and they are not available in copper. Don't think there is enough economic difference between the two. Especially, almost all of the ones I have purchased, have a nick on the edge.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have a freechex II I believe, for .45 caliber boolits. I'll use a Pepsi can that's cut and folded over to form the checks. I know that they are thinner than using flashing or copper checks but they do just fine. I also use them for the .44 SRH with no problems, although I did it at first just to see if I could...and to my surprise it worked!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I have a freechex II I believe, for .45 caliber boolits. I'll use a Pepsi can that's cut and folded over to form the checks. I know that they are thinner than using flashing or copper checks but they do just fine. I also use them for the .44 SRH with no problems, although I did it at first just to see if I could...and to my surprise it worked!
    This is good to know about ,have anyone use AL flashing ,if so how it works. I have the first 22cal Freecheck that was made years ago and did not try it yet. I did bought the Gator checks. that cost less then Hornady. I did start with Lyman press on and then when to Hornady then I seen on here some time ago about the Gator ones and made a large order of all the ones I want. So for now I am set on them but always looking for different ideas to try out sometime.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    What does the tooling cost?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    What does the tooling cost?
    http://freechex.net/photo_i.html
    http://patmarlins.com/
    and there is someone that makes them on this forum in the vendors section.
    They run about $100 to $130 per caliber. Good stuff, lasts and like they said above, pays for it's self.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    http://freechex.net/photo_i.html
    http://patmarlins.com/
    and there is someone that makes them on this forum in the vendors section.
    They run about $100 to $130 per caliber. Good stuff, lasts and like they said above, pays for it's self.
    I think it is PatMarlin.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memb...?722-PatMarlin

Do not think he is a vendor here any longer, but here is his webpage:
    http://www.patmarlins.com/

I need to get a hold of him for some of my doins as well.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

I've used aluminum check without problems. I haven't used a whole lot of them, but never saw any difference between them and copper. I'm no metallurgist, but have a hard time believing galling or aluminum oxide would cause a problem.

One place where the aluminum would be an advantage is the plain based gas checks. I've only used a few on undersized bullets for the .351 WSL, and had a problem with some coming off in flight because they were designed for .358 diameter bullets, but I think the concept is good and I'm going to try some on regular .358 in a few things when I get to it.

Banned
    Doesn't the bullet mold have to be designed for the gas check?

Banned

The plain based ones are made of very thin metal and slip over a plain based bullet and are then swaged on when you size them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast