Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Savage 340

Banned

Savage 340

Went to a pawn shop I get to a few times a year and there sat the most pristine Savage 340 I have seen since they stopped making them. It's the nice version with a checkered walnut stock and the Weaver Sidemount and a K4 which were both also pristine. Priced at $299.99. It seriously looks brand new.

Had to fight hard not to whip out the plastic, but I already have a pretty good one in .30-30 and have had a bunch of unexpected expenses lately, just this afternoon needing a new starter in my youngest son's car. I may have to check back with that shop sooner than I normally would get back to it, but I doubt that one will last long. Anybody in northeast Kansas looking for one, this one is in Topeka.

Boolit Master
    LAY - A - WAY LIFE is short...

Banned

shows you how life changes and so do these fourms. 20 years ago when I came here to this relatively new forum the guys there would have walking hithiking or even crawling to your house to find a like new 340. It was a cult gun to them.

Banned

Based on the threads that come up, it still is. I payed almost as much for my 340, eight years ago, and it's pretty good, but has some flaws and wasn't the nice stocked version to begin with, and didn't have the vintage scope set up. The last couple of threads on them guys have said people are asking crazy prices for them now.

I like the 340s and have a few variants. They were cheap guns to begin with and generally were used hard and not taken care of so a pristine one like this really caught my attention.

Boolit Master
    I'm still kicking myself for passing on the Deluxe version one in .225 Winchester I passed on a couple of years ago when I was in one of my "I've got enough phases". It was cheap also.........

I've had several 340's (and store brand variants) over the years. Most were pretty beat up but all shot as well as I can and much better than they looked.

At a pawn shop, you should be able to do better than the $300 asking price. Just a thought.

I used to stare at the 340D 30-30 in the Savage catalog when I was saving for my first center fire rifle at age 14. My sister's boyfriend and my oldest brother talked me into a Remington 788 22-250 instead. I'd still like that 340, though.
    Funny, I just saw a plain walnut older variant at the LGS for $250.
    But I have other things to spend money on dangit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

For Texas deer, you were probably better off with the .22-250. I sure like 788s, one of the few things Remington made that I'm a real fan of.

I kind of wish I hadn't seen that rifle now, beginning to ponder making a trip back there this week.

Boolit Mold
    I like mine. Delux with checkering and a side mounted 3-9x35 scope in 30-30, with 150gr spitzer boat tail bullets loaded at 2100fps with 3031 it is quite accurate and light recoiling. I've had it group tight enough that they were almost touching at 100 yards when I can do my part. Can do that up to 6-7 shots then the barrel gets hot and it opens up. Buddy has a plain basic model he bought for $250 last winter. It's about as accurate as mine at 50 but it just has irons.
    It's become my favorite rifle.
    Last edited by FerricOxide; 06-03-2019 at 01:20 AM.

When I went to buy my first deer rifle the 340 was the cheapest and had the money saved up. When we got to gun shop there was a guy buying a bunch of loading components at the counter. So me and my dad started looking in the used rack. Long story short I got a Rem 8 in 35ca for $40, the 340 I wanted was $59.95. Have had many 340s in my life but never did buy a new one. The Hornet & 222 were very popular around here and always were good sellers. I've only owned two 225s and never fired one.

Banned

This whole thing got me to pull mine out of the closet yesterday morning and shoot it. Load was the Lyman 311466 and 7.5 grains of 700X, nice, mild load. Decently accurate too, though the rifle will do better.

One thing I had forgotten about them, overall length is kinda important, rounds that will load in the magazine and feed and chamber easily can still be way too long to eject loaded rounds.