Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone fill me in on 700X - new to it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Can someone fill me in on 700X - new to it.

I'm wondering if someone can fill me in on 700X?

Long story short - when the "shortage" was going on and powder was hard to come by as the shelves were bare, I was able to pick up a couple of containers of 700X. There was very little on the shelf and the fellow at the LGS, who shoots IDPA, said he used it and liked it O.K.

Normally, I have Bulls Eye, Unique, Red Dot on the shelf but my shelf was getting empty. A week after I picked up the 700X, I found a 8 pound jug of Red Dot and snatched it up. Over time I have learned how good the RD works and have used it in 38s, 9mm, 45 LC and it really shoots well in my mild 30-30 and 8mm Mauser loads - but that's for another thread sometime.

I have the 700X and figured I might break the seal on one container and start using it up. I know that a lot of folks use it - I just have no experience with it. I found a load in my Lyman 3rd Edition Cast Boolit Handbook for a 141 grain WC. I have a 140 gr. WC mold so I thought I would cast some up and load some 38 special up and try them in my Uberti '51 Richards & Mason conversion. I'm not looking to shoot heavy loads and never have.

The data shows for the 141 gr WC - COAL of 1.310 with a starting load of 2.2 gr of 700X and a max load of 4.0 gr. I figured I would load some up at the minimum and try 'em and maybe some at 2.4, 2.6, 2,8 and 3.0 gr. to see how they worked.

Looking at the burn rate chart. it shows that 700X is between Red Dot and Unique.

I know the 700X will work fine - but -

Is there anything to look out for with 700X? I usually use a Lyman 55 powder measure to drop charges and check often with my scale. How does 700X meter out of a powder measure? Good or poorly? To be honest, I haven't even opened the container to take a look at the powder. I figured that there were enough on here who may use it that they could advise if it meters O.K. or the powder has any "weird quirks" so to speak.

These will be 38 special loads - what other cartridges do you use it in with good results? I'm just going to be "batch loading " these so if the powder doesn't meter well, I can just weight up each charge. If I find a load that is accurate for me out of the '51 conversion, I will probably make a dipper for the charge and practice to see how consistently I can dip the grain weight needed.

Thanks for input - appreciated.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I used 700 for. .45 ACP wadcutter, 4 grains with H&G68 very accurate at 50 yards, 5 grs. Is a full charge.
    Never cared for it in .38 Special because it's larger particle size wouldn't meter uniformly in the Star. But if your measure will throw Red Dot uniformly, it will do OK with 700X. I never did any special load development, but shot the same charge weight as worked for Bullseye and found it OK. Used 10 grains with 457193 in .45-70 Trapdoor.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I like it. It is large flake (800X is even bigger!), but works well. Like Outpost said it does well in the .45 and also .38.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Mike Ventrino did an article on 700x years ago. I think I scanned it. I shot a lot of .44 Keith's over 7 grains for an accurate medium load that left brass really clean.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Cast Handbook #3 has 700X data for several cartridges.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

I just loaded some 45 acp with 700X. Used it before and in 38 special.

My measure drops it at +/- 1/10 gr. More smoke then Bullseye. Overall, a good powder.

Larger flake powder. Is my 12 ga shotgun powder for* trap & Skeet.

http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/samp...?powder_id=177
    Last edited by 243winxb; 06-01-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: *spelling

Banned
    love it for subsonic 300 BO loads with the heavies

Boolit Master
    Have been using it for shotgun shells and target pistol loads since the 1960s.... Only thing I have been loading lately with it is 9mm and I have a couple of drums of it and tons of 9mm brass....

Great powder that has never given me any issues...

Bob

Boolit Master

It was "my" powder back in the 70 and 80's when I was shooting local shooting matches in trap and skeet every weekend. Good consistent results(pattern wise) and easy to clean. I once tried some in the .45ACP in the mid-80's and I really don't remember too much about the results. I haven't used any in revolvers or pistols since so I must have not been too impressed. Of course I didn't load many rounds, so it would not have been given a real chance to show what it could do. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Buddy

Although I think of it as a DuPont powder, the Hodgdon website has pressure tested loading data for it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used it in 12ga 7/8 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads, 38 spcl, 45 acp and as a cast bullet rifle powder in several rifles, 7.5x55 Swiss and 7.62x54R come to mind where it worked fine, no quirks. Once it was gone I have not replaced it instead use Red Dot in similar applications since I have it. You have a couple cans so 1 pound of powder and many rounds of fun shooting.
    Charter Member #148

Vendor Sponsor

I used 700x in 45 ACP with 255gr K boolits man that load was hell on bowling pins! A center hit would literally lift the pin in the air and THROW it 5-6 feet behind the table. I cannot recall the charge weight but it was maxed.

As a side note, one of the only AD's I have ever had came with that load. I was cycling live ammo prior to a pin match b/c I didn't have any dummies with this particular boolit, and the hammer followed. I had a 4" Craftsman vise on my bench about 3' away, I say I "had" b/c the boolit broke the vise and dang near shot it completely off the bench.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thank you all - greatly appreciate your input and experiences with it!

I think we kind of get in a rut sometimes and get so used to using certain powders that we're hesitant to try something new - at least I find myself thinking that way - chalk it up to senior citizenitue!

I perused my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbood 3rd edition some more and I think I'll try the 7--X in the 45 LC too when I get around to it. I have all four editions of the handbook and will dig the others out to see what they have in them for the 700X.

I have 3 of the Lyman 55 measures - got them with the intent of setting one up for my 38s and the other for my 45LC s - the third one for a younger fellow that I'm hoping will take an interest in reloading - slowly accumulating things so he can reload 38s as I have a S & W I'm going to give him - he's in his 40s and likes to shoot semi-autos - hoping he'll want to shoot revolver as well as he has expressed som interest.

Anyway - even though the three Lyman 55s are all the same,I found one of them to drop Red Dot more accurately than the other two and am amazed at how well it does it - I keep close track by checking with the scale. I think I'll set that one up next week along with the scale and see how well and how accurate it does with the 700X. The charges will be small - 2.2 grains to about 3.0 grains so we'll see.

As I mentioned earlier, I went to using a lot of Red Dot for just about all I load - I don't load max for anything but in my 30-30 and 8mm Mauser, it sure works well for lighter loads and lighter bullet weights. The 8 pound jug is going to last me a long time but I'm anxious to try the 700X. When I went to take a look at my powder supply (I story it in coolers) I discovered that I also have two 1# containers of AA2. Have never tried that either - I remembered I bought it during the shortage and completely forgot I had it.

Thanks again for your kind responses - greatly appreciated and who knows . . maybe I"ll like the 700X that it will become a "regular" on the shelf? Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

"I discovered that I also have two 1# containers of AA2." I love that powder in 45ACP, when I finish off the current 8 pounder of WW231 it will be replaced with AA#2, accuracy and velocity tit for tat same loading but #2 much cleaner for me.
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Castpics now has a section where you can search loads for a certain powder.
    This is going to be really useful to many people.

Castpics is being re-vamped and Larry Gibson some of his extensive knowledge to the site.

**Note** Castpics may have growing pains

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...okup-by-powder

Castpics (and stickies on CB) are under-used resources.

Boolit Master
    I used 700X for trap and skeet loads. Every load from 7/8 to 11/8 oz loads. Also 38 Special wadcutter loads . When I first started casting I got good groups (less than1") with about 11.5 grs 700x and 180 gr boolits. It is a very useful powder for lighter loads.

Boolit Grand Master

A good powder , no quirks or problems to be aware of , my Lyman 55 meters it just fine.
    At one point in time it was the accuracy champ-be all - end all powder to use in 45 acp with cast boolits for competition . I used it back in my NRA Bullseye Match shooting days...not any more accurate than Bullseye...but when the great powder shortage hit , Bullseye disappeared , I spotted 3 containers of 700X and snapped them up ...it's a good powder and works in many applications .
    I like it . Bullseye , Red Dot and 700X are three powders that can get get the job done .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

I have used a lot of 700-X and find it works well. It is, however, filthy stuff. I use it for light (7/8 ounce) trap loads and have to frequently take my semi-auto apart for a thorough cleaning. Might not be as much of an issue with a different gun.

Boolit Bub
    Deleted.
    Last edited by blackhawk man; 06-06-2019 at 05:56 PM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've had good results with it and no problems metering even down to 2.7 grains . I do settle the powder into the measure well before I start metering though .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast