MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester 94 Comanche Carbine w/ scope...?

Boolit Master

Winchester 94 Comanche Carbine w/ scope...?

I've never fired a Winchester lever gun. They are not common up here where I live, this is a 308 country.Anyway, I was handling a -75 Comanche the other day and boy,it was fast! Perfect,immediate eyesight. I couldn't stop thinking about it,it just fit me great,like my Marlin but possibly even a tad faster. Anywhere I looked,the crosshair was right there,right now.

It was wearing a nice little Leupold,mounted very low which I like,I didn't pay attention to the mount... until I got back home. Isn't this a straight up ejection or did they have angle eject in -75?

Gun looks like new,now that I'm back to casting (because of coatings) AND 30-30 became moose legal here in Finland... with all the gold flim-flam the rifle looks so ugly it's actually beautiful. I also have lots of 30-30 j-bullets.

Longtime Marlin 1895 shooter,I'm tempted to...even called the shop today to make sure about the model. Googling tells me these were made in Canada,right?

But does it eject up or angled? I always kinda wanted a 30-30,now I have more excuses than ever.

It sounds like one of those tacky Commemorative post 64’s that we all lusted after back then. My friend sold enough magazine subscriptions (affiliated with Ag class in high school) to win a “Cowboy Commemorative” decked out in Nickel plating. As far as a top mounted scope on a ‘75 model 94- I can’t see it. All were top eject AFAIK. Side mounts were common but most folks just used the irons or bought a Marlin. It sounds interesting and I would love to hunt moose in Finland with a 30-30!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I've never fired a Winchester lever gun. They are not common up here where I live, this is a 308 country.Anyway, I was handling a -75 Comanche the other day and boy,it was fast! Perfect,immediate eyesight. I couldn't stop thinking about it,it just fit me great,like my Marlin but possibly even a tad faster. Anywhere I looked,the crosshair was right there,right now.

It was wearing a nice little Leupold,mounted very low which I like,I didn't pay attention to the mount... until I got back home. Isn't this a straight up ejection or did they have angle eject in -75?

Gun looks like new,now that I'm back to casting (because of coatings) AND 30-30 became moose legal here in Finland... with all the gold flim-flam the rifle looks so ugly it's actually beautiful. I also have lots of 30-30 j-bullets.

Longtime Marlin 1895 shooter,I'm tempted to...even called the shop today to make sure about the model. Googling tells me these were made in Canada,right?

But does it eject up or angled? I always kinda wanted a 30-30,now I have more excuses than ever.
    Google says angle eject came out in 1982 so this should be a top eject unless someone got the date of manufacture wrong .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Google says angle eject came out in 1982 so this should be a top eject unless someone got the date of manufacture wrong .
    Thanks, I just found that AE information,too.

A low scope on a top eject rifle...? I use ghost rings with my Marlin even though it has a rail. (SBL) Just wondering why/how there's a receiver mounted scope on a 94 in the first place.

I may need to go back and have a better look. Sometimes you just handle a gun that points so good, you're losing sleep.

USMC 77, USRA 79

This time take a picture sir... cycle the gun too.. I believe it was top eject too.. but I am wrong about a lot of things...lol

In fact, if possible, load the gun, and cycle the rounds out the top before you purchase.. you may not like the way they come out... just thinking... I drooled over these too, but not any more. Just seem too fancy for my taste now. But the 94 is a cool gun..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

If the price is right, it'll be a good shooter - commemorative or not.

All pre-1982 Winchester 94's were top ejection, so AFAIK there's only three options for a low-mounted scope on one.

1) A receiver side mount - The Weaver mount holds the scope to the left of the bore C/L; the William's mount was available with central over bore rings.

2) A forward mount that utilizes the rear sight barrel dovetail to fix the scope's position with the rear bell just ahead of the front of the bolt face.

3) A short Weaver base (part of a 2-base set) attached to the top rear half of the bolt, for a small scope (like a Beeman S-1) or a reflex/red-dot sight.

While www.xssights.com makes/sells a forward mount for mounting a modern "Scout scope", the front receiver ring would need to be drilled/tapped for the rear end of the mount.

The much older Redfield, Leupold & Bushnell mounts don't need the top of the front receiver ring altered.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I put see throughs on my 336. Gets the job done.

Boolit Master
    Thank y'all - the scope was directly on the receiver,thus the quick aquisition. I started wondering about it at home...

Need to take a new look - I'm looking for a shooter,definitely. Might have been "smithed", I don't really know.

Boolit Mold
    I never heard of any Winchesters that were made in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
    I never heard of any Winchesters that were made in Canada.
    Cooey of Canada made model 37 single shot shotguns and bolt action .22s for Winchester.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Go with a receiver site like a Williams or Lyman and forget the scope. Get a Marlin if you want to mount a scope. The 94's balance carry perfect and a scope just makes it awkward. The newer 94 Angle Eject model's work nicely with a low power scope. The only good option for a non Angle Eject is the Scout scope mount 4th picture from the top in Pietro reply, the Lever Scout barrel mount. Anyway just my thoughts.

I would not be surprised if somebody put that scope on the rifle and had so much trouble that he simply put the gun away, and a few years later sold it.

Boolit Master
    I called on monday and asked for some pics to clarify the scope mount... the pics never came,being friday now.

Oh well.