Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Price of pure lead

Boolit Buddy

Price of pure lead

I have access to approx: 3000 lbs. of lead sheets 8' by 8' that was used in a radiation room. The last price I remember was .50 cents a pound, but that was a few years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    $0.81/lb according to the ticker.

Boolit Master

call your local scrap yard, then offer a little more. most time that has sheet rock and paper glued to it so it does take a little more time smelting but its good stuff.

the ticker is clean certified lead in ingot form not so much raw scrap.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I don't know about where anyone else is from but i say go for it. I wish i could buy it for .50 cent.

I could paid that price immediately from radiator room sheet. Here in Finland you need to pay at least half more and thats cheap price. Last time when I bought radiator room sheet it was nice rolls with out anything else on it.

A dollar the kg in Argentina.
    Same price

Boolit Buddy
    I thank every one that responded. The lead is very clean like factory new other than a few bumps and scratches from removing it. I got all of it but it is way more than I will ever need.

Boolit Master

Where ya at?
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I could use about 50# of it.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned
    I'm with rancher1913, it's worth what they can sell it for locally.

Depends where you're at, in many places they could put it on CraigsList or Offer Up and get $1+ a pound

Let them know what the local scrap yard is buying scrap lead for and ask what they want for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Let me get things sorted out first. SSGOldfart don't know what it would cost to ship it from Pa to Texas. If I decide to sell it on this site I will post it in the selling section.

Boolit Master
    USPS medium flat rate boxes are your friend in this case. It will take some extra packing to make sure the box and contents are "tight" and do not slide and rattle around. That movement will tear open the box. And there is a weight limit. Just check USPS.com for details on the present cost and limits.
    The boxes are free, but the packing material and tape will be an added expense.

Boolit Buddy
    Dusty, the sheet lead is approx: 8'x8'x1/8" thick. Plant manager said it is pure lead from a x-ray room. Two men rolled it up like a piece of carpet. Each sheet weights approx: 640 lbs.

Boolit Buddy
    I buy lead from my local reloading store that usually has ingots. He sells ingots for one dollar a pound. He also has wheel weights at one dollar a pound. I once bought 530 pounds of 50-60 ingots on E bay, the seller was local so there wasn't a shipping cost involved. I like large ingots as they are consistent in alloy content and i can blend as needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
    Dusty, the sheet lead is approx: 8'x8'x1/8" thick. Plant manager said it is pure lead from a x-ray room. Two men rolled it up like a piece of carpet. Each sheet weights approx: 640 lbs.
    I take it you do not check your PM's

Boolit Buddy
    I seen it. Thank you for the information.

Me and my friend had luck years back. He found on junk jard those rolls... One hospital fixed new shields on x-ray room and contractor ordered more than they neened on that job. So those excess lead rolls ended on that junk yard and we got it all. Something like 900 Kg.. Rolls weighted about 45kg each and had some yellow tape wrapped on both ends. So we got unused lead rolls but those wasn't cheap but we still got those rolls all. Because you never know when EU makes some wierd statute to ban lead from private persons...
    Still have like 4-6 rolls left... So nice to hear You got that score!
    Last edited by Teemu; 06-01-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lead is lead, and I'd say 50 cents a pound for pure/soft lead is a very good price. You could sell for more to buy or trade for hard lead or any needed tin or antimony. Good score!

Banned

just so you know it isn't really pure. I got all that was in the old hospital that was torn down here and had it analyzed and it had @ 1% antimony and traces of tin. I don't recall the percentage of tin but it was small. It tested out about 2 bhn higher then my known pure did.

Banned
    They have gotten smart here where I live. The contractors are now keeping the lead they are taking out of the walls when they do a remodel in a hospital. No amount of bargaining on my part secured a portion of that lead.