Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: iron sigseehts

Boolit Mold

iron sigseehts

Looking for a good deal on a nice set of iron sights for an AR I am picking up. It is in 5.56 not .308, not that it matters all that much. Anyway, not real familiar with brands and options. I have some peeps on my Kimber 82G and I have upgraded them, but I haven't went any further into iron sights. I see Troy Industries around a lot....ads. Not sure how many people use them though. Interested in good quality. Need to be able to take a guy off a camel at 500 yards with them. Looking for input. Thanks for your time guys and gals.

Wow, not sure how the thread name got so messed up......just noticed it. Lol.

The standard A2 sights been pretty darn good for many years when I shot service rifle HP I used the regular rear and a slimmed down front post . Biggest thing is you want your adjustments to be repeatable.i don't think you'll get that with cheap made in China sights . Same with the flip up back up sights less moving parts the better. Are you mounting these on a free float rail or tube or whatever they call them now ? If it were me I'd use a good quality fixed front and a carry handle A2 rear . If your shooting 500 yds your gonna need some windage adjustment .and don't hit the camel !
    Last edited by RU shooter; 05-31-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

I like Magpul
    There is/was a deal at PSA
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/magp...sight-set.html

Did that guy steal your camel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have found the military Matech rear sights to be quite satisfactory. They fold down fairly low and have a cam that takes you from 200 out to 600m. After 300 meters - if I remember correctly - the increments switch from 100 to 50 meter jumps.

Magpul has their new MBUS Pro folding metal sight that has elevation adjustment in the stem, and it folds REALLY flat. The front version of that set is also nice - quick to adjust and you can turn the post 90 degrees to have a standard M4 width or a skinnier "match" option.

Beware folding sights that retain the M16-A2-style dual folding apertures. Most of them only lay flat with the large "night" aperture in the default setting, so you have to flip up the sight, THEN flip over to the smaller day aperture that you're most likely to be using. Irritating.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

are you looking to use the gun exclusively with opens or are you looking for backups. If the first just buy a carry handle. If you want backups magpuls are good sights and like was said psa runs deals on them all the time. I think the last set I bought were like 60 bucks which is about half price. They may be plastic but they aren't cheap plastic.

Banned

are you looking to use the gun exclusively with opens or are you looking for backups. If the first just buy a carry handle. If you want backups magpuls are good sights and like was said psa runs deals on them all the time. I think the last set I bought were like 60 bucks which is about half price. They may be plastic but they aren't cheap plastic. this is my favorite back up sight. Ive got a couple but there a bit more spendy. Uncle Sam even uses these.

NO eBay links, ever!
    Last edited by Pressman; 06-02-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Honestly, I am not sure if I will use this exclusively with iron sights or not. I may, but who knows. I am not a big 5.56 fan to be honest. But, I want a rifle in 5.56 for 2020 and the possible SHTheFan scene then. I have a Ruger ranch rifle with a scope. Maybe I will go irons with it and scope the AR. Probably more efficient that way.

With the above suggestions I just jumped on the Magpul Gen 2 sights on sale at PSA. Someday if I really enjoy the irons I may jump on some all metal Troy Industries. They look pretty nice.