Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Hunting with Cast? What Caliber?

Boolit Master
    How would one of those 38 or 45 pistol shot shells pattern out of a rifle length barrel? One of those Henry single shots with 357 load of shotshell (saw a post making shot cups out of old milk jug plastic) may do well at short range from a rifle length barrel

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am shooting these tree squirrels at distances from about 25 yards out to 50 yards or more with the 12 gauge shotgun, selecting the full choke barrel for those longer ranges. A pistol caliber with a shot cartridge would be real limited in range. But the 22 long rifle with scope would be the thing since it has a scope on it. Trouble is the squirrels are never sitting still. And I am not sitting in the woods waiting for them to show up. I see them out the window and grab the shotgun and run out the door to find them running. Even if I sneak out they are already on the move. But they do tend to always be around the cars. A 410 might work at close ranges, but I don't have one. Nor a 20, or a 16, or a 28. For trap loads I just load the 12 gauge shells down in the same range as a light 20 gauge. 7/8 oz of 7-1/2 shot at 1100 fps. Should I buy a bag of #6 shot and load 1-1/4 oz at a higher velocity for those longer ranges and more killing power? I hate to use my AR-15 in 223 with scope because I lose all of my brass. Although when I am shooting at coyotes I don't even stop to look for the casings.

Banned

That .356, a .38 Special wadcutter and about five grains of Bullseye or similar charge of a pistol powder would be the ticket.

5 gr. of Unique or Bullseye under a cast bullet for the 223. Turns it into a 22 WMR. They however will not cycle the action/ Don't have that problem because I used them in a Martini Cadet

Boolit Mold
    Richhodg66,

Is the 45gr WFN a commercial boolit or do you cast your own? If the latter, what mold?
    I'm getting ready to reload for a .22 Hornet H&R 058 rifle.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

These aughta be dandy form a 22H 218 Bee or 222/223...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Better check you DNR rules first. I know Georgia does not allow centerfire cartridges for small game. It’s rimfire only.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banned

Kansas has no such regulations.

The one I use for squirrel loads most in the Hornet is this one, you can get it hollow pointed (never have seen a need) plain based or gas checked. I ordered mine all plain based because I never planned to shoot them at more than .22 LR velocities.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...mrbcsd9nnirff5

This guy sells what looks to be very similar bullets on gunbroker
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/815126840

As mentioned, I also shoot the Bator bullet Midsouth had special orders for a while back, but I think it's discontinued. The current Lee is not the same. I recently got one of the original Ranchdog molds for his .22 bullet I hope to get to this Summer as well.

Subsonic 22LR or shorts. Click call (like a dog call) will make them stop and look at you. Works for grackles too. Hot melt bullets work good to 50 and don't go much past that.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've used 22 Long CB Caps a lot in past. 22LR for pack rats tho, detest those. Had one crawl into an insect zapper to avoid the cat in my shop once; ZAPPP the back rat didn't survive. "So tragic"

Boolit Master
    HAH! Don, a friend's wife had that attitude about deer until she tasted venison. First, it was "Don't hurt the poooor widdle animals!" After grilled venison chops, she said "Get out there and kill some more - that meat is good!"

To answer your question about cast squirrel loads, most .30 cal's will readily accommodate a .315-.325" dia. RB with card wad and soft lube cookie in a reprimed unsized case with a few grains of something fast. Most have sufficiently long necks that the assembly won't fall down into the case, the best of these being the .30 carbine - small case, good ignition and the 16" twist is easy on a RB. Even a .375 RB pushed through a size die proper for the throat in your rifle makes a dandy light-weight plinker of sufficient accuracy for what you describe. I cast mine of WW's and size them the same day, while they're still soft. A few grains of Red Dot, 700X, PB, trail boss, etc., say 2-5gr will get them moving with plenty of zip. It's fun to develop this kind of load, but wouldn't it be easier to use a .22 rimfire , or, as dangitgriff mentions, a pellet rifle? That said, a friend had good success with heavy .22 pellets in primed .223 cases, no powder IIRC. Not sure how fast the twist is in your AR and how that would affect the accuracy, but giving it a try would be simple enough. In the 6.5 Swede, I've wondered if roll-cutting the gas check shank and two or three driving bands off of Lyman 266469 or similar and turned base first would work as a small SWC. Never tried it yet, but it's on the idea list.

Boolit Master
    30-06 168 Berger on top of a max load of 4350.

I apologize in advance for any squirrel residue on your car or roof.

I used to use target loads of #8 in my 12 ga for squirrel, but I was losing too many. When I moved up to #6 lead it would solidly anchor them.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

It is my firm belief that a 22LR/410 gun is an ideal squirrel and rabbit gun. I have hunted both with everything from a 32-20 contender wearing a red dot to a 20gauge SxS, to a Kimber 82. I keep going back to the 22/410.

I use 11/16 oz of #6 in the 410 and CCI blazer to stinger depending on the temp (colder temps, slower ammo) .
    Last edited by curioushooter; 06-07-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have worked up a good load for my 30-30 - 175 gr cast boolit sized at .311 in front of 2.9 grains titegroup. runs around 615fps per the chronograph.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    For .22LR at lower costs, 2 good sources for price lookups;

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

The first you can control a bit more, but searching within the results on the 2nd gets you the same results; I don't think they both search the same web sites completely, I tend to look at both.

3.2 cents for CCI (assuming it's Blazer) is not too bad for plinking etc.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It sounds like you need a .36 flintlock rifle, and round ball.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    It sounds like you need a .36 flintlock rifle, and round ball.
    waksupi, I prefer a .32 caliber percussion. Mine is a Traditions Crockett, much more accurate than I am. With 20 grains of 3fg it makes less noise than a .22lr and hits like a .22 magnum. Next, I will try 10 grains to see if there any perceivable difference. Keep yer powder dry...………….robin

Boolit Master

Just load up a box of training rounds for your 223/5.56 AR.very easy to make, 1st clean case,drill the flash hole out with a 1/8 drill bit now Mark the cases so you don't use them for full power loads I use mag primers because they will work the action on our AR's and M16's,next load a 22 caliber pellet into the neck of your primers case, I found accuracy was better if I loaded the pellet backwards. This is the training round use to teach troops to shoot the M16. Many hours where spent shooting down a hallway into sandbags,I've used it for years keeping everything out of the garden,squirrels rabbits mice and even a few dogs here are there.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 06-29-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Shame you don't have a .25-20. 60 grain cast and about 1.7 grains of Red Dot makes a dandy subsonic squirrel load.

In a .22, the CCI Quiet round does it at across-the-yard ranges and won't alert the neighbors. I use them on the opossums that plague us every summer.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast