RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Hunting with Cast? What Caliber?

Well that lee 314-90 swc with 2.5 tight group is quiet and accurate in my sks at just around 900fps it’s quieter than 22lr quiets

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A .22 Hornet might work well for this job too

Boolit Master

Just like Uncle Grinch in Georgia, in Alabama we are limited to rimfire firearms or shotguns with 2 shot or smaller. Something I've noticed when using a shotgun for squirrels is at long range a larger size shot kills better. I load #5 copper plated shot. The plated shot is much harder than non plated shot. It penetrates much better. I'll admit that the reason I'm doing this is twofold - I get more clean kills and I don't have to worry about picking shot out of the meat. I understand that you're not eating them and just want to get rid of 'em - you'll kill a lot more of 'em with bigger harder shot.
    Last edited by mac60; 06-30-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    A .22 Hornet might work well for this job too
    The .22 Hornet is the best I've found so far. It just downloads so easily. Two grains of Bullseye is my standard with a cast, but it makes more noise than I think you'd want if neighbors were a concern. I've gone as low as 1.5 grains and it works well too and is much quieter.

I would think a .25-20 or similar with cast would be the perfect squirrel rifle, I just don't happen to have one (yet).

Boolit Buddy
    Run a pole or 2x4 between 2 trees. Wire an ear of corn in the middle. Set 2 110 conibears on either side Of the corn repeat as needed

Boolit Master

I agree the 25/20 is quieter than the Hornet and the 32/20 is quieter still, all with very light loads.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I love that .32-20 idea, I've shot many squirrels with my win '92 loaded to original .32 WCF specs. I use the 115 gr RNFP at 1250 fps because it groups the best of any I've tried although it is overkill for squirrels. The best mass harvest I've done is with a small pile of corn about 40 yards from a treestand (a very comfortable one), wait until the pile is about completely gray with squirrels and blammo! One blast from my BT99 with a handicap load and it's game over, there are usually some that are still doing the death shuffle so I dispatch them with a Stevens Favorite .22 short. The most clandestine way to rid squirrels is a product called "Tomcat" which is a solid rodent bait (anticoagulant) smeared with peanut butter and placed strategically near your bird feeder. The bait chunks have a hole in the middle, best to screw them to a treetrunk or something to prevent translocation.

I had made up some reduced loads for my 22-250 with 45gr PB cast. to shoot like a 22lr for this reason when I want to use that rifle to go out and also shoot regular loads in the same gun. for more then one use of game. I did crony the load with GC that is what it came with and PB and after I get what I was looking for in GC and then I enter all in a site that is for reduced loads to see what the load will be and went from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I shoot a Speer swadged 115swc in .314 dia boolit on top of tha tiny scoop of PB powder. It dosnt make 700 fps and shoots a gnats eye. With very quiet report. I dont think Id use it much past 25-30 yards but I always have a couple In my pocket what I have that gun!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    So far we have always used a .22. This year, however, I suspect we’ll use all manner of cast bullets with cat sneeze loads. 7x57 and 8x57 for sure. Always used safely, of course - no shots fired up at all. We have plenty of opportunities to shoot down at them at our place, and there are a lot of squirrels.

The boys and I enjoy eating them.

8mmFan

Boolit Mold
    I use the "Original" Cast bullet -.32 patched roundball out of a 32 Blackpowder rifle. Cracks like a 22 mag and will touch them with death at 50yards. You can get a lot of use out of a pound of black powder!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    I use the "Original" Cast bullet -.32 patched roundball out of a 32 Blackpowder rifle. Cracks like a 22 mag and will touch them with death at 50yards. You can get a lot of use out of a pound of black powder!
    This is something I will eventually get around to trying. I have a .32 muzzle loader and cast up some .310 round balls a while back to try. What loading of powder should I start with? I'm fairly knowledgeable about muzzle loaders and have hunted with .50s and .54s, but one this small is a new game.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure its been suggested already, but the 30 carbine would be my choice given the guns you mentioned, and the distances you mentioned. I'm also sure that you would really want to powder coat them so the gas block didn't get leaded. I would load the 30 carbine as if it were a 32-20. And you would have to cycle the action by hand.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I have kind of cleaned up the squirrel problem with 1-1/8 ounces of #5 shot in 12 gauge Remington Gun Clubs over 25.0 grains of Herco. And some Winchester copy wads of course. They fly good and kill good at close ranges and through the trees. Now I am going to upgrade to an old Military rifle in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with a carbine length barrel. I also happen to have cast, but not sized and lubricated yet, a whole bunch of Lyman 266469AV 437 RNGC 140 grain 6.5 mm. So, what kinds of loads will work well with this bullet for squirrels? Powder types and amounts? Of course I will look all of these suggestions up in all of my manuals. But is there any combination that works well for this application? I prefer a bolt action so I can keep my brass. But an M1 carbine with 129 grain cast sure was one of the first suggestions I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Kansas has no such regulations.

The one I use for squirrel loads most in the Hornet is this one, you can get it hollow pointed (never have seen a need) plain based or gas checked. I ordered mine all plain based because I never planned to shoot them at more than .22 LR velocities.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...mrbcsd9nnirff5

This guy sells what looks to be very similar bullets on gunbroker
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/815126840

As mentioned, I also shoot the Bator bullet Midsouth had special orders for a while back, but I think it's discontinued. The current Lee is not the same. I recently got one of the original Ranchdog molds for his .22 bullet I hope to get to this Summer as well.
    I have that 22cal boolit in 45gr GC/PB and have it shoot PB like a 22lr . out of my 22-250 Rem 700.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Like hazmat, a 32 cal patched ball out of a long barreled flintlock. You learn to be reeeeel steady.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy

I know it ain't fun, different, exciting, or hand loaded but CCI .22 SGBs do real well on squirrels. $6/50. Done.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    This is something I will eventually get around to trying. I have a .32 muzzle loader and cast up some .310 round balls a while back to try. What loading of powder should I start with? I'm fairly knowledgeable about muzzle loaders and have hunted with .50s and .54s, but one this small is a new game.
    Rich, I load 20 grains of 777 in my Traditions Crockett. It makes less noise than a .22lr and hits like a .22 magnum. It will keep 5 shots in a 1" circle, from the bench, at 25 yards. I have read that you can go down to 10 grains of 777 or 3fg and I will try that. Keep yer powder dry...……...robin

Boolit Master
    I will tend to use light charges of bullseye for my cast squirrel loads. 3.2 gr. BE with Lee 314-90 SWC in any .30 cal is ample squirrel medicine. The same load under a NOE 225-55 (rcbs) in .223 is also very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    I will tend to use light charges of bullseye for my cast squirrel loads. 3.2 gr. BE with Lee 314-90 SWC in any .30 cal is ample squirrel medicine. The same load under a NOE 225-55 (rcbs) in .223 is also very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish Lee offered this as a six gang mold...I go through a mountain of them

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast