Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Squirrel Hunting with Cast? What Caliber?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    I know it ain't fun, different, exciting, or hand loaded but CCI .22 SGBs do real well on squirrels. $6/50. Done.
    (Insert sarcasum) Only this is “CAST BOOLIT BOARD” not “SWAGED BOOLIT BOARD” So 22RF dont count.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    (Insert sarcasum) Only this is “CAST BOOLIT BOARD” not “SWAGED BOOLIT BOARD” So 22RF dont count.

CW
    There is this....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?41-Swaging

Last edited by bisleyfan41; 08-08-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    How about why the critters are so interested in wiring all of sudden?

Well it turns out the insulation tastes or smells good to in certain instances!

Some car manufacturers are using wiring insulated with plastics that have compounds that include biomass from plants .... such as peanuts and soybeans to name but a couple.

This is done to meet government sustainability and recycling targets.

Makes a lot of sense don’t it? You certainly need your chewed up vehicle to be more recyclable faster and more easily?

BTW my vote goes to 20 ga shotgun or 22 hornet or 25-20 win.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I’d put mouse poison in the engine compartment. I’ve battled field mice in my truck for a couple years now, I avoided poison at all cost initially but that’s the only way to really push the population back and out of the vehicles. Even with a small army of cats, they won’t get every mouse. I do need to get some cats though to help with the bunny population that decimates my gardens.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    I’d put mouse poison in the engine compartment. I’ve battled field mice in my truck for a couple years now, I avoided poison at all cost initially but that’s the only way to really push the population back and out of the vehicles. Even with a small army of cats, they won’t get every mouse. I do need to get some cats though to help with the bunny population that decimates my gardens.
    I don't want to use the poison solution either, since the half dead mice and squirrels might be eaten by all the black snakes that usually take care of all the mice. And that leads us back to an overabundance of mice. If I use a trap then I can see the dead animal. If I shoot the squirrel then I can see the dead body. And besides, it gives me something to look out the window for when I am drinking my morning coffee. With my 12 gauge double leaning against the wall next to me.

Boolit Master
    They really do not like mint oil but you likely need to find their nest to break the cycle or trap the current adults out already even with the oil.

I agree on the poisons, we are always afraid of the secondary poisoning. They say no “except” ..... you know there is always an “except” in there ....

I am a fan of lead, you aim it and that is that but time is a factor.

I have my cousins Rodentator borrowed and that is a blast (literally). We are inundated with ground squirrels (the rodent variety) here in the PNW as well as the ever determined gopher. The Rodentator uses propane and oxygen and injects it into their burrow. You count until you are about to run out of nerve and then hit the ignition.

Locally an orchardist used one but unknowingly was on top of an intersection of tunnels and the blast broke and ankle.

Another guy was close to his house and went after a ground squirrel. He loaded it up real good, hit the trigger and blew his house (tunnel led to his crawl space).

Two guys in the Canadian prarrie are said to have set several thousand acres ablaze with one.

I was getting a stiff flash back from ground squirrel tunnels and it was burning the hair off my arms when the flames reflected off the oak trees the holes were next to.

There just is not anything easy is there?

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-07-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=Three44s;4701867]How about why the critters are so interested in wiring all of sudden?

Wiring insulation contains salt which is an attractant to mice, squirrels and some birds. Keep yer powder dry...…….robin
    Last edited by robinsroost; 08-11-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    I suppose a .45 caliber muzzleloader is out of the question........
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have a couple favorite squirrel guns other than 22s. I've got a old Marlin 1894 in 32/20 that I shoot 98gr Fn. use mild load of Unique. Also have a m53 Win 25/20 that does well with 60gr FN, also mild loads of Unique. These rifles do less damage to small game than 22HPs. I don't hot rod the 94 Marlin it's over 100yrs old. I have 32/20 revolvers and use same load in them. The m53 Has a bore like a dime but it won't out shoot the 32/20.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately GA regs require rimfire or shotgun IIRC otherwise my 32-20 would be out with me.

Boolit Master

Squirrel Hunting with Cast? What Caliber?

I’ve hunted squirrel with an AR15 using a 4.0 gr. load of BE and a 55 gr. RF (NOE 55-225 RF, actual around 60 gr.). THey say you can't hunt with an AR, there'd be nothing left of the animal Does very well. that is the only cast load I've hunted squirrel with (generally I use a TC Encore, not the black gun). I also have the Gibson load for Lee TL 314-90 SWC (3.2 gr. BE) that I would use in a Mosin. Yet to try that one on bushies. Have never killed a gray with a handgun.
    -BE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 08-29-2019 at 08:30 AM.

I've done this with three centerfire cast boolits loads, though I think that nothing beats a 410 shotgun with #6 for squirrels in trees and it is far safer this way as the projectiles will be harmless when they return to earth. 22LR is hands down the most economical. A 22LR/410 combo gun is THE ideal squirrel/rabbit rig IMO.

Buutttt...32-20 loaded with a ~32 caliber round ball (00 buck) and a small charge of Tightgroup or Unique propelling it to about 800-900 fps (just subsonic) is excellent out of my Contender. I chase them with a cookie of grease and a card wad. I've also rolled them in LLA. I never shoot enough to really foul up the barrel. Just enough room in that short neck. This load also works in 30-30 or 30-40 and is easier. This load will deliver an immediately fatal body shot and not be terribly destructive and pass through.

Another load that I recently discovered (my friend loaded it) was launching a 375 round ball from a 38 special case in a 357 mag rifle chased with grease cookie and card wad at just under subsonic. This load is considerably more destructive I'm sure, but it was accurate.

Another bizzare load that worked well for squirrels was loading three swaged 00 buck balls that were made into little tuna can shapes in a swage tool. I'd wrap them like a tootsie roll in vellum paper and shoot them out of a Nagant revolver with a small charge of tightgroup in 223 cases I converted to 7.62x38R. Stunning accuracy and all three would hit in an inch or two of each other at about 20 yards.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345