Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Recommended Jword reloading forum

Recommended Jword reloading forum

As the title suggest, i'm looking for a J word forum. I'm reloading for an AR to start shooting CMP service rifle and have a question and not sure where or if to ask here, so hopefully this post is ok.

I've check with a Hornady OAL gauge and the bullets set .010 and .015 back and tried factory ammo that measured .035 off and cycled fine but out of caution smoked the rounds and came up with these marks below.

The marks are only on one side, a straight line in the middle with curved lines on either side going opposite directions. What the........?

Anyhow, if you all can help, with additional forum or what i'm seeing i sure would appreciate it.

I figure to cerrosafe the chamber tomorrow, it got late fast tonight.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190529_230122.jpg   20190529_230052.jpg   20190529_230016.jpg  

The ejector button will push them over to one side as they chamber and the bolt face rotates & locks, you'll see strange marks.
    Or if you feed them from a magazine, the lips will leave marks.

If it was done by rifling in a short chamber, the marks would be all around the nose, one for each land
    and you'd probably feel it when they chambered up and the bolt didn't want to lock.

If they fit a loaded cartridge gauge, they're probably OK.

This is just a wild guess. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-29-2019 at 11:48 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-30-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thanks for the replies, guys! I've been out in the shop tinkering with it and it is in fact the barrel extension that's doing it, those edges are sharp.

Thanks again, i really do appreciate your time!

Moderator Emeritus

M-Tecs mentions many good ones, I'll add one that I have a couple of friends at.
    https://www.handloadersbench.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

shoot a few thousand rounds and those edges will dull a bit.

either way they won't affect anything.

if the bullets were seated too long, you'd have a "ring" around the bullet where the rifling startes and you'd have a heck of a time getting the bolt to close, or in the opposite case, youd have to 'grenade' your AR to get the round out.

Thanks for the links....... definitely a steep learning curve for HP shooting.

I load for a couple of singles and bolts and have gotten pretty familiar with seating depth and the associated marks on the bullet, but these with the radiuses going opposite directions threw me.

I load for couple ARs also, but just volume/plinking rounds straight from the book. Now that i'm making "match grade" AR ammo and seating heavy bullets close to the rifling is what got me double checking things when this turned up. It's an AR/semi-auto thing my singles/bolts don't do. Once i slowed down and s-l-o-wly ejected the case i could see that's when the drag occurred causing the marks.

That's why i do this stuff....... always learning. Now if i could just be competitive with cast bullets

Boolit Master
    Just a idea ... FWI

But i was loading some new to me brass.

A new 55g bullet fmj and had been loading soft point .. did not change the die or anything

A new powder for me to try ...load and seat 100 rounds ..

max oal by the book .. neck and cannelured were all most touching .. looked like factory

Went to the range

loaded rounds were too long for a ar mag

Went home and added .015 to the seating die

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

It is also suggested to lap the bolt/extension but I don't think that is often done. Takes off the sharp edges but also makes the lugs all take even pressure. Those marks are from entering the extension so easily solved by diamond file or (yikes) dremel. As you are in competition, I would eliminate the problem. Truing the receiver/barrel too.
    Last edited by popper; 06-07-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Depending on your neck tension of your casings, you can also detect contact by carefully measuring rounds seated a bit long first before chambering and after removal. The overal length will be close to zero clearance. I will seat another round just barely deeper and measure before and after chambering to see if the bullet seats deeper.

This technique is for bullets that do not engrave well upon engaging the rifling.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”