RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Svt-40 with cast. Function test with IMR 4895

Svt-40 with cast. Function test with IMR 4895

Hi!

Following a question in another thread about the Svt-40 capability to function with cast boolits and IMR 4895, here's what i've done today. 4 loads were tested, five rounds each. No one prooved to be able to fully cycle the bolt. No paper was shot, i was shooting at a 100Y gong. I'm using NOE old 316299 (sized at 0.314'') that gives me 217-218gr fully dressed with aluminium checks and alox loaded in chinese steel primed cases. Powder is commercial IMR4895. The plan is to get function without touching the gas port screw.

28.5/29.5/31/32gr of IMR 4895 won't cycle the bolt and eject the case in this particular rifle. I've got 3 stove pipes (failure to eject/half eject jam) with the 32gr load of five rounds. No pressures signs have been seen, i will make some more test ammo and i will increase powder charges to 34/34.5/35/35.5 for the next range trip.

I also have Olin WC852 surplus powder and IMR 4064 in good supply and i also would test them but i don't have any clues what data to use with these powders and cast boolits.

Be safe.
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

I find SVT's fascinating
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I'm too poor to get a nice beretta or a danish garand so i'm using their russian counterpart.

"Powder is commercial IMR4895. The plan is to get function without touching the gas port screw."

Can i ask why?

Do you have any way of knowing how that screw was adjusted in either direction before you got it? What someone else may have done?

I'm not saying your wrong, just curious.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegcaissy View Post
    Hi!

Following a question in another thread about the Svt-40 capability to function with cast boolits and IMR 4895, here's what i've done today. 4 loads were tested, five rounds each. No one prooved to be able to fully cycle the bolt. No paper was shot, i was shooting at a 100Y gong. I'm using NOE old 316299 (sized at 0.314'') that gives me 217-218gr fully dressed with aluminium checks and alox loaded in chinese steel primed cases. Powder is commercial IMR4895. The plan is to get function without touching the gas port screw.

28.5/29.5/31/32gr of IMR 4895 won't cycle the bolt and eject the case in this particular rifle. I've got 3 stove pipes (failure to eject/half eject jam) with the 32gr load of five rounds. No pressures signs have been seen, i will make some more test ammo and i will increase powder charges to 34/34.5/35/35.5 for the next range trip.

I also have Olin WC852 surplus powder and IMR 4064 in good supply and i also would test them but i don't have any clues what data to use with these powders and cast boolits.

Be safe.
    I do not have any experience with a Svt-40 ..7.62 x 54r .. I do have a bit of experience with a m1a Clone in 308 shooting cast
    400 rounds cast with out cleaning.. got rained on and had to clean...

I would think part of the problem is reusing steel cased rounds

30-32 grains of IMR 4895 is in in the ball park with the 308

Adding a tuff of dacron and dropping down a grain and working up again did wonders in the 308

if it has a adjustable gas port ? opening it and using brass cases should get it working

Have you read BruceB work up on the 308 ? lots of information there ...... its a stickie

Hi!

Using primed dumpable steel cases is a solution to the svt40 problem of denting the cases while ejecting. I want to try to get a load that don't need to change gas settings when i shoot surplus ammo. I've already read bruce b sticky, i'm not going after that kind of testing. One bullet, couple of powders (if needed), that's it.
    Last edited by Kegcaissy; 05-30-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm too poor to get a nice beretta or a danish garand so i'm using their russian counterpart.
    Last (only) time I saw an SVT locally it was snapped up by the funshop owner before I could get back with my checkbook. But even when I can find one online it is going for an awful lot more than any of my Garands ran me through the CMP. SVT-40 and MAS-49/56 are next on my list to get, just need to find either for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    Last (only) time I saw an SVT locally it was snapped up by the funshop owner before I could get back with my checkbook. But even when I can find one online it is going for an awful lot more than any of my Garands ran me through the CMP. SVT-40 and MAS-49/56 are next on my list to get, just need to find either for a reasonable price.
    Find an importer from canada, there's plenty of them there. Pm me for some cues.
    Last edited by Kegcaissy; 05-30-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hi!

Using primed dumpable steel cases is a solution to the svt40 problem of denting the cases while ejecting. I want to try to get a load that don't need to change gas settings when i shoot surplus ammo. I've already read bruce b sticky, i'm not going after that kind of testing. One bullet, couple of powders (if needed), that's it.
    Keg,

In my M40 Tokarevs, I routinely adjust the Gas Port Settings, as they were designed to be adjustable. I keep good notes, by gun serial number and loads, and adjust the gas as needed for my ammo used.

I am a bit confused why you want to adjust your loads to a FIXED gas setting???? It may be doable, but I would adjust the gas to the accuracy load.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    You're handicapping yourself by not properly utilizing the easily-adjustable gas port settings.

Boolit Grand Master

Hi!

If that's what you want try a slower burning powder to increase gasport pressure. 4350 & 4831 are suggested.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

A powder I have used in 54R with success is W748. Try that with a CCI #34 primer. Slower than 4064 and 4895 but not too slow like 4350. I use it with J bullets in all my semis.