MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: 30mm scope rings? Low, Medium, or High. How do I pick one?

30mm scope rings? Low, Medium, or High. How do I pick one?

Just bought a new rifle and scope at the local gun shop this morning. Howa Mini 1500 in 300 Blackout. Weaver bases. Bought a 30mm scope. It's a Strike Eagle 1-8X24 with illuminated reticle. Have no ideal which hight rings to buy. My friend at the shop guessed high, but that is just a guess. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master

I have same gun in Grendel also wearing a 30MM But Mine is a Bushnell IIRC its in LO rings!! (But def not taller than Medium!) Its a 40 or 45MM objective so smaller then yours.

I don't really think You need HIGH, But I prefer my scoped as lo as I can get them. Some don't.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

https://vortexoptics.com/media/catal...x24_fr_w_1.jpg

Are you sure yours is smaller than mine? Mine has no bell shape objective on the front. Its a straight tube. Maybe my terminology is incorrect.

Boolit Master

a med or low, depending on brand. you do have to do some measuring, and check specs of the rings, as just about every single makers low/med/hi, are different from each other. when in serious doubt, its hard to go wrong with a medium, unless you have a scope with some giant objective. do some reading, as some brands measure rings from top of base to center of ring, and some are from top of base to bottom of the ring.

Boolit Master

Best method I've come up with for determining 'optimum' scope height (for me!) is to stick globs of modeling clay (or glazier's putty) onto the receiver and press the scope onto the globs, adjusting the height adding or subtracting clay, until the eyepiece is aligned with my eye when the rifle is shouldered then measuring the distance between receiver and scope tube (both front and rear). After that, it's a matter of selecting the necessary base and ring heights.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Usually the last number denotes the size of the objective in millimeters. The higher the number, the higher your rings must be. The scope you have pictured cannot be a 24 mm objective if the main tube is 30 mm. The scope you have pictured will probably work with low rings in my opinion.
    I have never seen a scope with no objective Bell that was more than 6 power on the high end.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered some Burris Signature Z rings. We will see.

The easy way to do this is for a 42mm objective lens is:

1.) Divide the objective diameter by 2 to get the radius, which is, in this case, 21mm.

2.) Divide the diameter of the scope tube by 2 to get the tubes radius. Typical diameters are 1 inch (25.4mm) or 30mm.

3.) Subtract the tube radius from the objective radius to get your required clearance.

4.) Look at rings. Find a company and design you like best. Then get the ring height which will give you that clearance. The Low, Medium, and High labels are just general height alterations of the rings design. Look on the back of the packaging or the manufacturers specs online to see how high they actually raise the scope.

5.) Buy the rings and get it right on the first try.

Caveats:

This method assumes the objective lens is the largest diameter. If the ocular lens is larger (like on a scout scope or something) use that instead.

This method also assumes a rail or something underneath the objective. On more traditional hunting rifles with a tapered barrel profile, you can get away with lower rings depending on the geometry of the rifle.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Usually the last number denotes the size of the objective in millimeters. The higher the number, the higher your rings must be. The scope you have pictured cannot be a 24 mm objective if the main tube is 30 mm. The scope you have pictured will probably work with low rings in my opinion.
    I have never seen a scope with no objective Bell that was more than 6 power on the high end.
    That pic looks exactly like my scope and it says 1-8X24 right on the box. And it is definitely a 30 mm tube. So, I have no explanation. My concern is the ocular lens in the rear. It's big enough that the bolt handle clearing the scope when opening the action is my concern.

I get it. The 24mm is the lens diameter instead of the tube.
    I dislike the big eyepiece of modern scopes for the reason you mention.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F01C03DD-66F2-4574-A729-495938DDECF2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	242618My rings are Med height.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw