MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 38/50 Rem Heburn

Boolit Bub

38/50 Rem Heburn

Just acquired a Win 1885 in 38/50 Rem Heburn. With a set of RCBS dies. Question, can I form brass from 30-40 Krag and or 405 Winchester brass into cases for the 38/50?
    What bullet mold works best for this caliber.
    Any suggestions on Loads for it?
    I would be grate full for any help
    Thank You.
    RiceGuy
    Last edited by Riceguy; 05-30-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Forming can be done with either, but 30-40 would be my choice. Just fireform it with a bit of fast burning powder with cream of wheat filler as that's what I do. Then trim to length.
    I imagine your have a pretty slow twist in that rifle, so most likely something along a 250 gr or so bullet.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Vendor Sponsor

LynC2- question- Why would a Winchester Highwall chambered in 38-50 Remington Hepburn necessarily have a slow twist?

To the OP, Beware, 30-40 Krag has a slighter smaller rim than the 405 Winchester. Depending in how the chamber was cut and the reamer itself, they both MIGHT chamber and fire, or not. Often the reamer is ground with one or the other in mind for a good fit. If you have the rifle in hand it would be good to get a sample and test before committing to forming a lot of cases only to have trouble.

I am going to make a leap of a guess and say, most likely the chamber is set up to use Krag cases.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    The barrel is 28 inch with a 1/12" twist. Problem is pretty much solved, the previous owner has sold me had a couple of hundred cases of fire formed brass that he had. I did email the guys at RCBS and within the same day they solved the problem and have a multiple step up expansion using 303 brass for me. (they are a great bunch of fellows, I highly recommend them) The former owner was using 360 grain cast bullets from a Paul Jones Mold that he used with Black Powder in competition shooting.

Boolit Bub
    yes I believe he did use the Krag cases.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear you figured it out. Wish you had provided more information initially. I thought you might of had an old Winchester that used the 250 gr loads. It should be fun for silhouettes.

Boolit Bub
    Thank You for the help. I look forward to receiving it. It will go nicely with my 38/55 and my 45/70 also in Winchester 1885's

Make sure you post a few pics when you get it....sounds like an interesting caliber.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I didn't have the info at first. Took a chance on it when I bought it.

Boolit Master
    I hope you find a good load that shoots well. Did you get the mold by chance and his loading data? It will save you some time and components.☺
    BTW, .303 cases may well be too short for your chamber. Measure the fired cases to know.

Boolit Bub
    yes I'm getting all his info. Great guy he is a really helping me get set up. We email every day so far. I think he is glad the Rifle has a good home.

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone have any smokeless powder loads for this 38/50HB, would like to use some for paper punching. I have a bunch of 260 gr cast bullets to use for it.
    Also have most all powders.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceguy View Post
    Does anyone have any smokeless powder loads for this 38/50HB, would like to use some for paper punching. I have a bunch of 260 gr cast bullets to use for it.
    Also have most all powders.
    Try 17.5-18.5 grains of 4227. That is what I use with my 38-50 with a 280 grn.