Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Gun

After reading page one I walked away. "Nothing smaller than .390/9mm"

Well that may work for you young fellers. Today went back and read the other 2 pages and was glad to see some love for the .32's and .22mags.

Personally I seldom carry. There really is no place in Fargo ND that I feel I have to be armed to go there. When I do carry it is a little H&R snubbie, double action in .32sw long. Now I know from practice that I can put 6 into a golf ball at 20 feet. Have seen groups that would almost fit in a bottle cap.

I also have figured out that Military and LEO's have one set of expectations from a confrontation. IE they want to see the guy causing the problem in cuffs or cuffed to a gurney on the way to a hospital.

Private citizens on the other hand just want him to go away, leave them in piece.
    So we have differing requirements for that pocket pistol.

If pulling it and cocking at, pointing it at them is not enough to stop the aggression.
    I'm minded to put one in his eyeball. At that point he has bigger problems to worry about than me.

I'm not saying that the military/LEO's are wrong, for them I suspect they are right.
    But their idea's of minimum requirements are not necessarily mine.

So yes when I carry it will be the little H&R. I have it in a small holster with clip. It will go IWB on my left side (Yes I prefer cross draw) or in my pocket. Small enough to have a low footprint. Accurate enough to do what I need to do.

I do not have a pocket .22mag at this point. But if I did I would carry it.

Heck I would carry a Ruger Mk III 22/45 in .22lr but with the long barrel and the
    Red Dot sight they are a bit bulky.

But Phoenix arms makes a nice 10 shot .22lr semi in 2 barrel lengths that would easily slip in a pocket. Sell for 120$ sometimes a bit less. I have 2, both are car guns. Kept in a small zippered case, unloaded, but with 2 loaded mags and a 100 round plastic box of ammo. You just need enough situational awarness to get you the 5 seconds needed to get it into action.
    Both fit in the door pocket of our vehicles. Almost invisible, but better to have and never need than to need and not have IMO.

Last, I don't expect my opinion to be those of others. But for me it works. YMMV

Boolit Master
    Kel-Tec P11. It's not your Sunday afternoon fun gun for pleasure shooting, but it's accurate and reliable with 10 in the mag and one up the spout.

Boolit Master

A little dated (2011), but here is a link to a "mouse gun" comparison chart:
    https://mouseguns.com/pocketautocomparison.pdf

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Interesting data, TY Beerd.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yes... very nice pocket gun chart... I saved it for reference
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I said earlier that I soometimes CC 38 Spec., & 357Mag snubbies for "pocket" pistols.

I did not mention, as it may not be a requirement for the OP , or anyone else, but I also have a requirement that most do not have, it seems, & that is that the "pocket pistol" I want to carry can be fired multiple times THRU the pocket, without hindrance for the action to do so.

While some may not consider that as a concern.

I do. That is why I prefer revolvers for something to carry in my "pocket".

It does not matter if I am carrying in my right rear/wallet pocket, front right pocket or not. If I decide to carry it in a jacket/coat pocket, I would want it to be able to be fired THRU the jacket if necessary.

I am not sure that most semi auto pistols will operate in that manner "THRU" the clothing without issue from the slide action. I don't think it is something I would want to have my, or someone close to me, life & limb be dependent on & have it fail in some manner.

Just adding in a bit of something to consider, "before" one makes the final decision on what they want to carry for a "pocket" pistol.

G'Luck on your choices!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    A little dated (2011), but here is a link to a "mouse gun" comparison chart:
    https://mouseguns.com/pocketautocomparison.pdf
    Yes. Thanks!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Beretta nano

Boolit Master
    I have a Phoenix arms hp25 for pocket carry. Also have a 3" sp101 in 327 federal that fits in most of my jeans. Ruger's lcr line is also a solid choice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I have a Phoenix arms hp25 for pocket carry. Also have a 3" sp101 in 327 federal that fits in most of my jeans. Ruger's lcr line is also a solid choice.
    What type of holster do you use for the Sp101
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I like the phoenix 25 have one and am amazed at how reliable and accurate but at 20 oz it to is a bit heavy for me.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Tracks completely with my observations on this over rated pistol, too. I had lots of my cops that wanted to carry one for off duty/back up purposes. Over 15 plus years of trying, we NEVER saw one make it through a 50 round qual course without significant malfunction rates and that was with factory ball ammo. Plus, as Outpost75 mentioned, they have tons of sharp edges that cut the hand and therefore make manipulations and the training thereof, nearly impossible. A pox upon them...
    Amen!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I carry a S&W 638, wife carries a Taurus 851 (S&W638 clone) with CrimsonTrace Laser. We like the protected hammer and single action capability, easier to hit the actual 6lb smelly black and white skunks while staying out of range (20 ft). Snake shot first up on the farm from May thru September., skip over for other stuff. The sheilded hammer goes in/out of pockets without catching on stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Concur on the 638 for the same reason above. The single action comes in handy for those non life threatening but necessary shots on pests that crop up from time to time. Handloaded wadcutter is a fine option for around farm and pasture use. Cheap cost of ammo encourages the occasional field shooting which keeps the skill level higher.

Boolit Master

I guess I'm exceptionally lucky in my Walther/Interarms PPK/S. It never gives me a jam. But you are right on American Ammo vs European Guns. No works !

I load HOT for my PPK/S and French PP in .32ACP, neither gives me a problem. Went through 8 mags for the PPK/S. Kept 5, sold the others on fleabay.

My COLT COBRA 2" gets shot with 2-3 boxes of ammo every year for 35+ years. Same for my 20yr old S&W 638.
    Both are still tight.

Kel-Tec, bought one of the first one, sold it a month later. Haven't touched one since.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

S&W 49 or 649 (stainless) Bodyguard ( j frame 5-shot 38 special revolver).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VRDGAR

It is the "humpback" design, that has a hammer shroud. Doesn't snag on withdrawing from a pocket. It is single and double action. More accurate than you would think. Put a set of Uncle Mike's combat boot grips on it, and you have a very potent, pointable, accurate, compact gun.

148 grain DEWC bullets with about 4.5+ grains of Unique or 3.5 grains Bullseye are snappy, penetrating projectiles for defensive purposes.

A picture of my S&W 49 Bodyguard 38 special with Uncle Mike's boot grips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190531_151010.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	242715
    Last edited by catboat; 05-31-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Picture added

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a NAA Black Widow (.22 mag) that I put in my pocket on occasion. It's accurate and fun to shoot.

Boolit Buddy

I agree with JB, while rolling around on the ground in a fight is a poor time to discover that you have a one shot due to weak grip. I have always been a 2” Revolver for Back-up kinda guy, I have dallied with most near every configuration of Back-up gun, including a S&W 469 in an Ankle Holster, always returned to the 2”. I was told that by an Old Marine early in my career, would of been loads cheaper but probably not as fun to stick to the 2”, I think I have finally settled it
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    What type of holster do you use for the Sp101
    No holster. I just put it in my pocket. I blew all my money on the gun, brass, and a mold. Too poor to afford a holster for it just yet. ��

Boolit Master

Pocket Gun

Taurus PT-738 (TCP) is a shooter.
    Unnoticeable with the right pants in a squirrelskin holster I made. I put 10-20 rounds through it every once in a awhile and I cannot recall ever having a failure. I can group with it at 25 yards if I do my part. Holds 6+1.

It is my understanding that Taurus came up with the design and Ruger followed with the LCP. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 06-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast