Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wadcutter vs WFN for 45 hunting?

Banned

Wadcutter vs WFN for 45 hunting?

Folks I'm getting a bolt action converted to 45ACP and looking to run some light powder loads with suitable cast bullet maybe 185-200 grains, close range on small pigs and small deer. Velocities around 800-850fps, maybe 3.5-4 grains of clays is what I am aiming for. Quiet is the name of the game for the location I will be doing it and I can't hunt with a can. Shot placement and sticking to practical ranges will be paramount of course.
    I was wondering what bullet type might do the best here? Does a wide meplat help a great deal? Is there further value in going to a wadcutter then? I know slow cast bullets can penetrate like the dickens, but am I being inhumane with this setup? Question could equally apply to handguns or levers in 45 colt too. Thanks for any replies, experiences, anecdotes or even abuse!

If the WC can cycle in your rifle you can use it if not go with the WFN and see if that will cycle. then go from there. Handgun will not matter for a wheelgun. I know for me to shoot WC in my rifles I need to put one in the chamber then one in the tube for a lever gun.As for bolt I forgot what I done I think it might of cycle you need to check that yourself.This is what I found what works for me. as for the WFN can be call also SWC . As for the powder you are usen .I do not know someone will have a better idea.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    Thanks trapper9260 yes I left out I will single feed the WC for the first shot if necessary

You welcome .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

It has been my experience that the wider the meplat on the bullet, the greater terminal effect it seems to have, when velocities are equal.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Your shot placement will be more important than bullet type. I've dispatched hogs in traps with the 200swc but a .22 works there so not much help. I carry my .45 autos with the 200swc or the 230 truncated cone style along on hunts but I haven't had a close enough shot to try it yet- but I feel confident it'll work. I did stalk a sow once(using a dry creek bed) and made the shot at 20 feet using a .38 Special with Rem. Golden Sabers. It's placement first and always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A 45 cal round ball been killin stuff for years .its not a Flat nose and weights a good bit less.moving faster yes.Can't say about pigs but for small to average size deer I would go for something like a 230 gr flat nose at those speeds and take out both lungs .your still gonna need to track them till they run outta gas
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I can say on deer the WFN is very effective I prefer it as it seems to drop game and in testing equal weight and velocity and caliber better penetration and disruption of soft tissue. But feeding may take you in the direction you need to go. If you really wanted a boolit Hollow point the SWC and they really get the job done but with a little less penetration.

Banned

for hogs, i'd pick the one that penetrated better.

both should be good.

Vendor Sponsor

Everything is good up to the boolit weight. You won't find very many large meplat offerings in that weight range. I would suggest a 250gr boolit. There are 3 250gr LBT designs that are great at close range and would make for very effective kill shots.

When you have your conversion done, MAKE SURE you are afforded at least .100" to .150" of .4525" freebore in front of the chamber before the leade ins start.

L to R: 250gr LBT OWC, 250gr LBT WFN-PB, 250gr LBT WFN-GC

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Man you can always recognize Veral’s designs things of beauty....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    for hogs, i'd pick the one that penetrated better.
    Absolutely.

This is one of my neighbour's dogs,they sold him to Africa.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190530_011020_755.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	242818

Boolit Man
    I agree with Doug Guy, I cast 255 grain RNFP for my .45ac and .45 Colt rounds………..

Boolit Grand Master

Having dealt with several bolt action converted to 45 ACP (M98, M93 & SMLE s) I can tell you with reasonable assurance you should wait and see what will feed in your rifle. Every choice prior to that will probably be a wrong choice. That is from experience.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    As to your question am I being inhumane with this setup. A 45 cal slug with a large meplat is a killer. Shot placement is still crucial.

Boolit Grand Master

One last word of warning; unless the bolt action is a SMLE a bullet with a large meplat will be difficult, if not impossible, to get to feed reliably. With SWCs a H&G 68 profile can feed reliably with correct fitting an tweaking of the extractor and feed ramp. Shorter nosed SWCs and Runs won't feed reliably. Even the Lee 230 TC will only feed reliably from some mags.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    Folks I'm getting a bolt action converted to 45ACP and looking to run some light powder loads with suitable cast bullet maybe 185-200 grains, close range on small pigs and small deer. Velocities around 800-850fps, maybe 3.5-4 grains of clays is what I am aiming for. Quiet is the name of the game for the location I will be doing it and I can't hunt with a can. Shot placement and sticking to practical ranges will be paramount of course.
    I was wondering what bullet type might do the best here? Does a wide meplat help a great deal? Is there further value in going to a wadcutter then? I know slow cast bullets can penetrate like the dickens, but am I being inhumane with this setup? Question could equally apply to handguns or levers in 45 colt too. Thanks for any replies, experiences, anecdotes or even abuse!
    This sounds reasonable and should be pretty quiet and with sound shot placement you should be good to go with many flat point designs, and yes humane at close range. Hopefully your conversion is being done by a smith, not bubba, and will feed most every nose type with perfection!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I'd go with a heavier bullet. 1000fps in a bolt action 45 acp is pretty easy with 260+ grain bullets.

I shoot these 270gr out of my bolt action 45 acp with impressive thump on steel plates. G&F won't let me to hunt with it here which is a shame because it would be a great stalking rifle.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

I always prefer a WFN. But as repeatedly mentioned feeding is important too!!

As bullet kill by disrupting tissue, the more you can disrupt the more efficient a killer it will be. WFN design is about the best available for any given caliber.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I'd go with a heavier bullet. 1000fps in a bolt action 45 acp is pretty easy with 260+ grain bullets.

I shoot these 270gr out of my bolt action 45 acp with impressive thump on steel plates. G&F won't let me to hunt with it here which is a shame because it would be a great stalking rifle.
    I wonder what we can do about getting that amended in the regs. It's idiotic.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast