Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barreling an old Savage 110 for a "410 shotgun"

USMC 77, USRA 79

I doubt that 410 plastic shells would feel sloppy at all.. but a brass shell might...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Uf Da, this one has really got our DNR stumped. Nobody seems to be able to find out if a shotgun is defined by the chamber, or the case. Most people didn't seem to care, but I got to talk to a nice guy today who is going to look into it.

It's a simple question, what is a shotgun? It sure isn't an easy answer. Personally I feel a shotgun is a smooth bore, but rifled slug guns are legal here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Uf Da, this one has really got our DNR stumped. Nobody seems to be able to find out if a shotgun is defined by the chamber, or the case. Most people didn't seem to care, but I got to talk to a nice guy today who is going to look into it.

It's a simple question, what is a shotgun? It sure isn't an easy answer. Personally I feel a shotgun is a smooth bore, but rifled slug guns are legal here.
    I've wondered the same thing. You can buy a factory shotgun that has a rifled barrel to shoot slugs. So to me the effective rule (I am NOT a lawyer, just saying what I see) is a shotgun is a gun designed to shoot shotgun shells.

Boolit Grand Master

I was just reading from someone who use 9.3x74R brass to fireform 3" 410 shells. Google comes back with plenty of examples, including currently available brass at prices not much more than 444 marlin. This is exactly what I have been waiting for. If I cut out the head stamp, no DNR could ever tell the difference.

Now I don't care if the DNR thinks 444 marlin brass is acceptable, I'll have true 2.500" .410 shotgun brass shells. My next step is to buy some 9.3x74R brass and make sure it is going to work with a 44 caliber bullet, then move ahead with this project

I am really surprised by the sheer number of cartridges that have existed over time that are all basically .410 shotshell size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12