Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Alox 350

Boolit Master

Alox 350

Anyone have any comments about ALOX 350? I have a can of it, plan on mixing with beeswax 50/50, but would like someone to comment...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    50/50 BW to Alox350 was just too soft for me. I tried several ways to stiffen it up. I ended up with this recipe and it was very accurate up to full speed 30-30 levels in a robust bolt action. FWIW, I did not try it any faster.
    2 parts Beeswax
    1 part Paraffin
    2 parts Alox350

If I was to buy more 350 and make it again, I would try 2 parts of each ingredient.
    Last edited by INTRLOPER; 05-28-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Anyone have any comments about ALOX 350? I have a can of it, plan on mixing with beeswax 50/50, but would like someone to comment...
    If you are trying to achieve the traditional NRA 50/50 lube (Beeswax/Alox 2138F).

According to Glenn at White label Labs, you need to add 6-7% Micro Wax to the Alox before blending with Beeswax.

https://www.lsstuff.com/store/index....ish3559vsba3q6
    Xlox 350 has the consistency of a light grease.
    This is not a tumble lube. It can not be made into a tumble lube.

The traditional NRA forumula for 50-50 lube Is 50% BeesWax and 50% Alox 2138F.
    Alox 2138F is no longer made. Alox 350 is the current replacement.
    Alox 350 can be mixed with 6-7% Micro Wax to get an approximation of Alox 2138F.
    Your mix of of Alox 350 and micro wax can now be mixed with 50% Beeswax to make 50-50 lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Well, Criminy - where do I get the Micro Wax? Couldn't find it on the White Label site...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    Well, Criminy - where do I get the Micro Wax? Couldn't find it on the White Label site...
    Just use a touch more beeswax and do not worry about it. This is not nuclear physics. It is balancing soft with hard and sticky with slicky, nothing more. Not like the original Petrolite micro wax that was originally used is even available anyway. Instead of mixing 50/50 try 60/40 BW/Alox. Personally I would go more like 65% BW to 35% Alox. Whatever makes you and your guns happy is all that is important. Some folks take lube and perhaps themselves way too seriously. Truth be known alox 350 will not do anything Vaseline will not do, other than stink.

Moderator Emeritus

There are some sellers (two varieties) on Amazon as low as $13 per a one lb lot ...and the Amazon free shipping over $25
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Will do @ 65/35, and publish...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Boolit Master

Quite a few years ago I corresponded with Ken Mollohan(Molly here) before he passed away concerning NRA lube after Alox 2138f was discontinued. He gave me the same advice as JonB in post #3 above. He also suggested that I email a supplier/manufacturer of micro wax and indicate an interest. They sent me a free sample.
    John
    W.TN