Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: selecting an expander plug from NOE

Boolit Master

selecting an expander plug from NOE

Hello folks, I'm interested in purchasing an expander plug from NOE. I'm wanting to try loading .431 and .432 boolits for my 44spl, which has generous throats. I'm using RCBS and Lee dies at the moment, but no matter what I try, my boolits swage back to .430 once they are seated. I hear NOEs plugs can help this problem.

I'm a little unsure about what size to choose. I see a .431 x .427(P), .433 x .429(P) and a .434 x .430(P). Any explaination of these sizes would be helpful. I called and emailed NOE, but I think they are probably a small company and don't have a great deal of time for phone calls and emails.

Boolit Master

If you want to keep those dimensions, go for one that is .002 over diameter for the second step. I would likely go for the 434 and a decent roll crimp. The 433 might work as well.

Boolit Master
    Okay, so if I'm following you correctly, the first number is the amount of flare for the case mouth (or the size of the step) and the second number is the plug size that expands the brass. Is this correct?

Boolit Buddy
    you are correct. If you are using .432 boolits the .434x.430 would give you .002 neck tension with .002 oversize flair to easily start boolits in case mouth.

Boolit Master
    excellent. I'm ordering the .434x.430 and the .433x.429. They are cheap enough, and I can find a happy medium somewhere between those two. Thanks.

Banned
    NOE Expander Plug Setup

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=1795.0

.434x.430

.434= case mouth flare diameter

430= case neck expansion diameter

It also depends on your brass "spring back" [different headstamps = different thickness/composition of the brass case]
    and how soft your lead alloy is.

I've had better luck with the second measurement .001 over boolit diameter YMMV

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    NOE Expander Plug Setup

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=1795.0

.434x.430

.434= case mouth flare diameter

430= case neck expansion diameter

It also depends on your brass "spring back" [different headstamps = different thickness/composition of the brass case]
    and how soft your lead alloy is.

I've had better luck with the second measurement .001 over boolit diameter YMMV
    So have I.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

There are a number of factors that effect neck tension, but I like .002" under bullet diameter. .001" might work in rifles, but they always seem to seat too easy for handguns, and failed to hold while pressing hard with my thumb.

Boolit Master

I have purchased expander plugs from another vendor and have always selected bullet diameter to 0.001" under boolit diameter for the expander size. I have loaded for 44, 41, and 357 magnum. All pass the push test, so neck tension is good even with boolit diameter expanders.

I have found that brass will only stretch about 0.001" to less than 0.002". anything that requires the brass to move more than this is deforming the case neck anyway and will either deform to accommodate the projectile or swage it down. that is why I select an expander based upon the diameter of the boolit I want to use or 0.001" below that diameter. It works great for me. YMMV.
    Brad

I like the Noe expanders to be .001 under for most handgun rounds and bullet size if the rounds will be fired in a bolt action or single shot. There are exceptions. You will want more tension for tube fed rounds and heavy recoiling rounds. As you mentioned, they don't cost much so get two or three expanders and see what works best for your loads. Gp