Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouch

Banned

Unhappy Ouch

A little background first.
    I know this is only a minor, if not a little painful injury. Much worse have happened and unfortunately worse will happen.
    If posting about my ignorance and discomfort helps 1 person from getting hurt, it's worth posting.

I've recently been casting for a few days leaving my hotplate and PID (pot) settings the same.

After emptying the pot for the ?? time I switched to a harder alloy (2 parts Mono 1 part SOWW)

Using the same 6 cavity mold, I did my first cast getting a good sprue and when I went to move the mold the lead slid off the sprue and down my shoe. My bad!!! There should have been a string of ** but I just shook my head

I know better than that. I know that harder alloys melt at a lower temperature and stay molten longer.

Surprising how fast a fat old man can move. My saving grace is that lead cools a lot quicker than molten steel.
    Consequently, I only have a nice grouping of blisters on the inside of my right foot (which I immediately slathered with aloe) instead of charred flesh.

I wish I still wore bell bottoms, then I'd have been OK.

May this be a warning to some and a reminder to others --- the silver stream is pretty but it can and will bite. It's just a matter of time.

Soo it's either High top shoes, longer pants/bigger bell or leather shoe chaps.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 05-29-2019 at 02:10 PM.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Glad you weren't hurt worse. I know from experience just how fast an old fat man can move.

Thank you for the reminder. It tends to keep me on my toes when I read of other peoples oops.

My little oops today wasn't near as bad but still got my attention. I was reloading 440 gr for my 500 S&W when one rolled off the desk and landed on my little toe. I think I'll wear shoes from now on when sitting at the desk.

Denny

Kinda reminds me if the blissfully ignorant riding motorcycles in flip-flops, tank tops and shorts.

You think every day is gonna be perfect and nothing unexpected will ever happen?

God's gonna cut you down.

Boolit Master
    I'll wear sandals when handloading, but long pants and leather shoes when casting.... The drip-o-matic leaks very little since I lapped the hole and plunger, but enough that if I don't pay attention to the drips that sooner or later I'll get some little splashes on me. I've taken to using a Lodge ashtray/ spoon holder under the spout to catch the drips, then I can grab the pile with my pliers and put it back into the pot.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Really glad your not hurt worse. Leather work boots, long blue jeans, leather welders apron and a full face shield for me. Hot lead doesn't bark, it just bites!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    A little background first.
    I've recently been casting for a few days leaving my hotplate and PID (pot) settings the same.

After emptying the for the ?? time I switched to a harder alloy (2 parts Mono 1 part SOWW)

Using the same 6 cavity mold, I did my first cast getting a good sprue and when I went to move the mold the sprue slid of and down my shoe. My bad!!! There should be a string of ** but I just shook my head

I know better than that. I know that harder alloys melt at a lower temperature and stay molten longer.

Surprising how fast a fat old man can move. My saving grace is that lead cools a lot quicker than molten steel.
    Consequently, I only have a nice grouping of blisters on the inside of my right foot (which I immediately slathered with aloe) instead of charred flesh.

I wish I still wore bell bottoms, then I'd have been OK.

May this be a warning to some and a reminder to others --- the silver stream is pretty but it can and will bite. It's just a matter of time.

Soo it's either High top shoes, longer pants/bigger bell or leather shoe chaps.
    Reminds me of when I was a collision repair man. I had a car come in with major front end damage and I was in the process of cutting the mangled front bumper off the car with a cutting torch, as was the common practice. What was different was for some unknown reason I decided to were a pair of engineer boots. You know the kind that slip on, and are wide at the opening. Well when you were this type of engineer boots tend to cause your pants to form a pocket at the top of the boot. Well imagine my surprise when a piece of red hot slag found it’s way into my boot! I still have a scar, dead center on the top of my foot! Needless to say I never wore those boots to work again!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I wear glasses, but I commonly wear short sleves and shorts with sandals when casting...
    I've gotten a sprue between the toes and the odd splat on the arm...
    Probably should dress up. :-/
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    OW ow ow ow ow!

Hannibal don't mean to get off track but thats exactly how i rode mine. Lost the helmet once out of town.

Boolit Buddy
    I wound up with a 310 grain boolit dropped straight from the mold into my shoe. Aside from not being dressed properly for casting l was also sitting with the Lee pot situated between my knees. So when repeated attempts to kick my shoe off failed l just had to endue the heat until l could carefully get up and not overturn the pot.

It was bad and got worse by the day. Finally l went to my doctor and she gave me Silvadene which started the slow healing process.

Accidents can and do happen. Burns are particularly painful and slow to heal.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Gotten myself several times with bullets that rolled off the folded towel I drop on and when reaching in for the next fill put my forearm down on them. Even through a cotton shirt it gets your attention.

Banned
    The 100% pure Aloe Vera Jell got the blisters down (I coated the burn with aloe then wrapped it with saran wrap) BUT it (the burn) likes to keep reminding me it's there, sometimes really getting my attention (woke me up several times last night).

I do have a tube a Silvadene if the Aloe doesn't continue healing it.

Remember to always wear eye protection and wear cotton clothing that covers your arms and shoes.

I built a sprue opening jig ( I no longer open sprues by hand or hammer on them) so I only wear lightweight mig/tig gauntlet style gloves for casting.

Boolit Master

I had a six cavity sprue hit my apron the other day, bounce, and then end up under my right thigh. I wear shorts because of the heat. I now have a nice six cavity sprue burn on the back of my right thigh.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I am glad it was not worse for ya.

Heal well.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I only wear lightweight mig/tig gauntlet style gloves for casting.
    Here are mine,do you mean this kind of gloves?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190529_030211_717.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	242547

I cannot seem to cast anything with out some burn somewhere. My wife says she loves me but i am not the most graceful person.

Boolit Master

I used to cast in flip flops all the time. I was careful. I wear "crocs" some times now when I cast or sneakers. I have a drippy Lee pot as well and the first few drips are ok, but then the puddle creates a dished out spot and it starts splattering.

On a side note........ While repairing my dehydrator last night I grabbed the soldering iron by the barrel like an idiot. They get pretty hot. I don't have a stand for it so it rests on the handle and you have to be very intentional in how you pick it up. I wasn't.
    The switch finally gave up and basically dry rotted out of the housing. I just jumped it direct to the plug and soldered/shrink wrapped it. 19 years of beef and deer jerky.
    Last edited by EMC45; 05-29-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep a good disinfectant salve on those burns metal burns are notorious for infections keep it cleaned out and covered. Glad it wasn't worse.

Boolit Master

Glad you're OK with digits still intact down there...care to share the shoe type that saved your day?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast