MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help me say NO...

Boolit Master
    I got one in a custom 6 MM / .250 - 3000. got the gun smiths findings here on the wall. The stock is from one of the 2 great Missouri stock makers that are de-funk now. BOY kids it is smooth.... Something that was crafted when it was built.

The “British Mauser” is a good one. I’d say go ahead and get it. It sounds like it’s set up to shoot.
    It is amazing how many millions of 1917s were made in just two years by Remington, Winchester, and Eddystone.

Boolit Master
    What is that old saying?, better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Frank

Banned
    Will you use it enough/bring you enough enjoyment to justify buying it? Will it put a strain on your finances/relationship. Will it hold it's value. Does it call to you at night and are you losing sleep over it. Have you had a bad week and need a big pick-me-up.

Boolit Grand Master

Two manufactures Remington and Winchester produced millions of 1917's from 1917-18. Winchester seem to be the most desired and Remington from the Eddystone Penn arsenal(stamped Eddystone) the least. Heat treating was done by eye, color of hot metal instead of actual temp, some Eddystones are found to have brittle front rings that cracked. I would say buy it sounds interesting.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I'd buy it if I got disposable funds burning hole in my wallet...

Boolit Master

Best bolt action mechanism EVER, I.M.O., but you're right, they ain't small, and they ain't light. They've got a lot of bearing surface on the square barrel-to-action threads, and a lot of bearing surface on the action bottom, so the accuracy potential is there, and the '06 will reach farther than those girly little .308 Winchesters. Simply MASSIVE camming potential getting them in and out of battery. Hopefully, the rifle you're considering HAS NOT been converted to cock-on-open, but for the target rig it appears to be, maybe not a deal breaker.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

IF they are asking 500, don't pay them that, even out the door.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Do yourself a favor if you do buy it, don't go shooting Unique or Red Dot, whichever powder it was, with a dacron filler like you were doing in 8mm, you'll ruin it!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    OP, you expected THIS lot of ENABLERS, to not suggest you buy it RIGHT NOW? You don't know us very well! LOL

(Just got more'n one new toy here, myself, so I'm addicted too. Oh well So it goes!)

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    One subtle suggestion.........go back and ask to examine the rifle. If it has been converted to "cock on opening" with one of those kits available years ago, that argues a lower price. Why? My son found a sporterized 1917 Eddystone for only $150, and a beautiful thing it is too. BUT, that miserable cock on opening conversion would NOT smack the primers with any reliability, so he bought the necessary parts to return it to issue. It's one of his favorite rifles now.

By the way, you could tell your wife you bought it for her then hand it to her. Since it sounds pretty heavy, I can almost guarantee that she won't like it. Take it back, look disappointed and buy her a new casserole dish instead.............

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    One subtle suggestion.........go back and ask to examine the rifle. If it has been converted to "cock on opening" with one of those kits available years ago, that argues a lower price. Why? My son found a sporterized 1917 Eddystone for only $150, and a beautiful thing it is too. BUT, that miserable cock on opening conversion would NOT smack the primers with any reliability, so he bought the necessary parts to return it to issue. It's one of his favorite rifles now.

By the way, you could tell your wife you bought it for her then hand it to her. Since it sounds pretty heavy, I can almost guarantee that she won't like it. Take it back, look disappointed and buy her a new casserole dish instead.............
    Good point. The cock on closing feature was intended to make the user manipulate the bolt as is intended on a Mauser, hard, like you're trying to rip the bolt off, and then trying to shove the bolt through the bore. Also aids in extraction and helps prevent short stroking
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I don't have any problem with cocking on closing. I rather like it.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Once you get over 8 or 10 or 12 or ...., the wife no longer cares and another no longer matters. Finding safe secure storage and properly exercising (shooting) all becomes the problem. After the first 3 or 4 she no longer wants to here 'Look what I found FOR YOU'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12