Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Proven 45-70 molds

Proven 45-70 molds

I’m seeking a couple molds for my #5 Rolling Block 45-70. 28”bbl. 1:18 twist. I’m planning on shooting BP loads as well as smokeless. I’m in the process of testing out a Lyman Postell bullet.
    ( bought em from Montana Bullet Works ). I’d like hear what molds are favored by the 45-70 crowd. I’m not hearing good ratings from Lyman these days. Seems like their molds aren’t throwing what their supposed to be throwing. I’m in the market for 400gr. and up.
    Thanks to all,
    Burch
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

There probably isn't many that don't do well.

I'm happy with my RCBS 405s that cast out about 415-420 gr. with the **** I melt & use.
    I've got both the gas check and flat base one.

I've drifted away from the gas check version only because I'm not pushing them fast enough to need it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I mostly cast my bullets from Buffalo Arms molds. Mainly I use their various Money bullet molds, but have also had great results with their Creedmoor and elliptical designs. Their molds are very high quality. Mine are always round to within a half thousandth.

They also make a copy of one of the versions of the Postel bullet in case you want a higher quality version of the mold that Lyman sells.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    For a mass produced mold that is a step above the Lyman molds and a little less expensive than the BACO ones, you might want to consider the Saeco molds. The #745 shoots quite well in my Shiloh Sharps rifles and there is load data for smokeless in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook if you want to go that way.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

I have gotten good results with the lyman 457125 round nose govt 500-510grn, The lyman postell 535, and a Old West silhouette ( postell style) at 550 grns. This bullet has 3 generous lube grooves. One thing you might consider is buying or asking for test bullets in the various styles types to test. After teasing you know for sure what bullet you need. I also have a brooks adjustable paper patch moukd that does well when set to around 530 grns. Something to consider

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have gotten good results with the lyman 457125 round nose govt 500-510grn, The lyman postell 535, and a Old West silhouette ( postell style) at 550 grns. This bullet has 3 generous lube grooves. One thing you might consider is buying or asking for test bullets in the various styles types to test. After teasing you know for sure what bullet you need. I also have a brooks adjustable paper patch moukd that does well when set to around 530 grns. Something to consider
    That was actually my goal. I bought the postell that was cast from the Lyman mold. The bullets I received were 529gr. give or take a gr. and sized to .459 which means their particular mold drops .460 or better. My groove dia. is .458 I’m loading BP with those.
    Josey Wales

Boolit Grand Master

That will work fine as long as it will chamber when seated in your brass. I have one 45-70 with a tight chamber ( My Brochardt) that gives me issues with a .461 dia bullet in starline brass. My others all run great with them.

My lyman postell drops at 528 grns and .460 dia but it has been reworked into a nose pour mould, Similar to the hoch nose pour moulds. It cast very good bullets and is very consistent. When my son comes over Ill see what I have cast I think I have some of the Old west 547 grns cast and some 457125s. Ill put together a "care package" for you

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    That will work fine as long as it will chamber when seated in your brass. I have one 45-70 with a tight chamber ( My Brochardt) that gives me issues with a .461 dia bullet in starline brass. My others all run great with them.

My lyman postell drops at 528 grns and .460 dia but it has been reworked into a nose pour mould, Similar to the hoch nose pour moulds. It cast very good bullets and is very consistent. When my son comes over Ill see what I have cast I think I have some of the Old west 547 grns cast and some 457125s. Ill put together a "care package" for you
    Wow, that would be highly appreciated.
    Josey Wales

I have a PGT 545gn mould that has been proven at 1000yd Creedmore shoots. I don't know if they are still being made?

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I have a PGT 545gn mould that has been proven at 1000yd Creedmore shoots. I don't know if they are still being made?

Don’t get any better than that
    Josey Wales

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a 458193 that is hands down the most flexible bullet I've loaded . From 75 foot can killers to all I care to shoot in a Marlin 1895 it has so far been the most accurate .

I also have the MP 462-425 , it's good if you drive it hard .

The a NOE version of the 458132 , I believe that is the 535 Postell you're shooting now , with solid Trapdoor loads it's as good as the 193 .
    The Lee 458-340 , I have lube issues with but if I weren't such a cheapskate that probably wouldn't be a thing . Accuracy is hohum . Maybe agrevated by the lube issues .
    I've paper patched the 457132 and a Mountain Molds 453-350 . Both shot as expected in my rifle with moderate Trapdoor loads and starting Marlin loads for the 350 .
    The 1895 G is only 18" with a 1-20 twist .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .