RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester Left Hand Model 70 New Haven Production History

Boolit Master

Winchester Left Hand Model 70 New Haven Production History

My brother is wrong handed and has purchased several left handed CRF New Haven production rifles lately.

Searching on GB, I've seen the Custom Shop Left Hand offers in the $4K-$5K range. We were wondering if all of the left handed Model 70's were custom shop or if they were offered from general production.

We have seen serial numbers ranging all over. I know there was no pre-64 left hand production.

If someone has some first hand knowledge of left hand Model 70 production history I would be very interested.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    I wondered the same. I knew they were available years ago but never heard they were custom shop deals.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter

If someone has some first hand knowledge of left hand Model 70 production history I would be very interested.

AFAIK - LH Model 70's were available in at least 10 different versions over the years.

Left hand Model 70's were introduced in 1997 in the somewhat earlier Classic Sporter, the Classic Sporter BOSS & Classic Sporter Stainless - all on standard production (non-Custom Shop) lines.

The LH option also became available in the Featherweight Classic WSM standard production (non-Custom Shop) line in 2003.

The Custom Shop made LH M-70's in the Classic Custom African & Safari Express (2000-2006 - not in .470 Capstick), Custom Ultimate Classic (1997 intro), Classic Custom Short Action (2001 intro), Custom Extreme Weather (2000-2005) & Extreme Lightweight Weather II (2006) on the Custom Shop production line.

Special Order (individually made) Custom LH Model 70's built to the buyer's specs (within limits) were, of course, always available to the well-heeled through the Custom Shop.

Last edited by pietro; 05-29-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

they could be had non custom shop. i have 1 i bought it new in the box.

Boolit Master

I am going to get some of his info with serial #'s and born on dates and post them here. Might pick up a pattern.

Boolit Master
    The seller of those rifles has been trying various methods to get high value for that collection for years. One time they offered the entire collection for one price.
    The custom shop would make any model 70 in left hand until they stopped making lefty’s about 8-10 years ago. In the last two years the values of LH model 70’s has been dropping, just like most other guns. I have watched some that sold for close to $2,000 linger on sell sites for $1-1,200.
    You could purchase lefty 70’s off the shelf in 270, 7mm mag, 30-06, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, and 375 H&H as well as most of the WSM rounds. For a short period you could buy some chambering in stainless.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Left hand Model 70's don't come up on Gunbroker very often. He got a nice 300 Win Mag the other day for $1300.

He's kind of OCDing on left handed Model 70's right now.

Thanks to all for the info. I know more than I did.

Boolit Master
    I purchased a LH SS Classic (regular production) 338 Win Mag, 26 inch sporter barrel. Bought the wife a 243W and a 308W featherweight SS Classic in RH at the same time. Forget what year that was, but they were running @ $500, at the time. My other LH bolt is a Ruger Mark II in 270 Winchester.

Winelover