RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Making 1911 grips by hand

Boolit Master

Making 1911 grips by hand

Hello all. As I make progress towards finishing a set of desert ironwood 1911 grips, I thought I’d lay out my process. Normally I use my jigs and power tools and I can make a nice set of grips in little time. For these grips I’m using nothing but hand tools. I’ll include pictures at a later date.

Tools:
    Rasp
    Files
    Chisels (SHARP!!!)
    Sanding block
    Lots of sand paper
    Surface plate
    Eyeball

Step 1: Select the wood
    I try to pick up nice blanks at every opportunity. To me, the grain should flow with the gun. I also try to book match as much as possible. If I’m buying pre cut blanks I want a thickness of .300 or thicker. This gives you plenty of wood to work with.

Step 2: Initial sanding
    I find this step important to see where the chatoyance might be hiding. I’ll do a quick sand up to 600 grit and wipe on mineral spirits to see what I’m working with.

Step 3: picking grain layout
    To do this I use a pair of clear 1911 grip panels placed over the blank. This allows me to best orient the grip for maximum grain and flow on the pistol.

Step 4: Roughing to size
    This is where the rasp, files, and chisels come into play. For a wood like ironwood you need laser sharp chisels and good files. Go at a steady pace, but be aware that ironwood will chip and tear out out if you’re not careful. Keep the super glue handy...

Step 5: sanding to size
    Once I’m close to my finished size I’ll switch to sandpaper and the surface plate to get straight lines to the final width of the grips. Normally 80 to 120 grit will make short work of it.

Step 6: Drilling the holes
    Do not do this with a hand drill and eyeball, lol. I purchased a jig and special bits just for this. A mill is best, but a drill press works just fine. If you do it with a hand drill, ensure you have a round file, lol. Once again, use sharp bits because ironwood will chip and tear out. Make any necessary repairs after this step to the edges of the screw hole.

Step 7: contour top of grips and cut in channel for plunger tube
    I like my grips to cover the plunger tube, so you’ve got to make sure you cut the channel and make clearances for slide release. I make my grips to go edge to edge of the frame so I also cut a clearance for the thumb safety. The right side grip panel needs a clearance filed In for the mag release.

Step 8:sanding to correct thickness and contour
    To sand to thickness I just double side tape the grip to a block and sand on a surface plate. I am shooting for .250-.260. Ensure you flatten the back of the grips to 220 grit first and then remove material from the top to final thickness. This will be done during final sanding and contouring. This allows you to hit a nice high grit finish, and have crisp screw holes.

Step 9: final finish and polish
    I take ironwood to 1500 grit, put on a couple counts of ultra thin super glue and buff with white compound. This gives a glass like finish and makes the grain glow. Once again, you want that chatoyance.

Using hand tools it takes me several days to make a set of ironwood grips, but the result is similar to what I would get using power tools. The process goes much faster with softer woods. I hope this helps someone out and they learn how easy and enjoyable it is to make their own grips.

Vendor Sponsor

I was gonna suggest the special bits that drill both sides of the screw holes, they are different sizes and that ridge left in the middle is the only thing that holds the grip on. You drill a through hole, then both ends of the special tool use this hole for their pilot. I made grips and never afforded the luxury of the right stuff to do it with..

Dang.. I have a lathe now, I could just make my own..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    There are a couple bits you can use. The one with pilots is the bee’s knees. I like to drill so the screw head is flush with the top of the wood That’s the fit I go for. My holes are also snug to the bushing with the relief deep enough to accommodate a Challis bushing o-ring.

After I finish this set I’ll start on a couple sets of maple and walnut.

I always admired folks that could make those.

I started a set once.
    They looked like they'd been chewed off the side of a log by a retarded beaver.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    They are surprisingly easy to make. I got tired of people wanting Ivory prices for wood grips. So I started making my own to get the fit and finish I want. High figure blanks are usually under $75.00, and the process with power tools is incredibly fast and easy. All of my power tools
    Are in storage so that’s why I’m doing them by hand.

Now when I want grips, I make some. Just as I did with my Ruger, beretta, etc. I got tired of trying to find people to make the grips I wanted from the materials I wanted for the price I wanted.

Go get you some wood from Lowe’s to practice on and you’ll see how easy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I always admired folks that could make those.

I started a set once.
    They looked like they'd been chewed off the side of a log by a retarded beaver.
    �������� ��

Quote of the Moment

Boolit Master
    If ya get the chance & can do so, some pics of your progress would be great!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Good luck on the project
    And
    Yes, pictures please

1911 grips are a good one for beginning grip makers. Iron Wood or laminates are a lot harder to work than walnut or similar hardwoods. Straight grain is easiest to work for the beginner.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    It can be very satisfying to make your own grips. It will give a since of pride to have grips that you made on a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    It can be very satisfying to make your own grips. It will give a since of pride to have grips that you made on a gun.
    Yes and it beats paying $75 +. I'm trying do make a jig to duplicate S&W target grips. These can run $100 and up for used ones. Making them by hand is a time consuming project. OK if you just want to make a set for yourself for one gun. It's getting to be a racket at shows to peel original grips and replace with rubber and sell original grips separate. Over half the S&Ws I buy have aftermarket rubber grips. At the very least I put some aftermarket wood grips on them even if they are in trade pile.

Boolit Master
    One trick I employ so as to eliminate any possible tear out when drilling the screw holes is to locate and drill the holes first (with slight counterbores to support the screw head), then do the shaping. I made a couple sets out of fancy walnut and rosewood, but stopped using highly figured wood when I started checkering them as so much of the figure is then camouflaged by the checkering.

Boolit Master

Pictures will surely help...

Boolit Master
    I concur on the checkering. It really hides beautiful grain.

Banned

I enjoy pipe smoking
    Point
    The grain can be really nice, but rustication can be good too
    I like it all
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002-386-2305_1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	242582

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004-009-10606_1.5171.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	242583

Boolit Grand Master

Look forward to finished product pics

Boolit Master
    I’m waiting on a drill press to get here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I’m waiting on a drill press to get here.
    When did a drill press become a hand tool???
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Lol. Ummm, it’s hard to get the holes right with a hand drill, lol.