Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A dud CCI round !

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I actually use thunderbolts last time i dusted off the 22 and i do stand corrected i did get a few duds with them.

The photos are of gun powder that was recovered from .22lr duds.
    Notice how much green priming compound is mixed in with the powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1250098a_zpsb262eee5.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	242518

Name:	P1250097a_zps37726ff5.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	242519

Name:	P1250093a_zps6c7b4ee8.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	242520
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-28-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Very interesting. Certainly suggests that the primer compound wasn't retained in the rim cavity as it should have been. Or maybe wasn't in the rim to begin with.
    Cognitive Dissident

There's 2 interesting stickies on RFC.

One has cross section photos of different .22 cases that shows the intact priming compound on the wall of the case. --->>> https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=545484

The other describes what makes Eley Prime different.
    Eley has their own patented process which basically consists of a powder that's put into the case and then tamped down by machine to spread it.
    Then water is added to the case which activates the brown powder.
    Apparently Aguila also uses this Eley patented priming technology.

It's described under the paragraph "How Eley Does it" --->>> https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=547914
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-28-2019 at 03:51 PM.

22Plinkster explained that the priming compound can break free from the rim when 22 ammo is treated roughly, especially happens with loose bulk ammo. That's why I expect that I've not had a CCI dud.

Good point. Bulk ammo today undoubtedly gets dropped/poured into those plastic tubs like it was gravel.

But that doesn't explain the bricks upon bricks upon bricks of Thunderduds that were boxed normally and still have duds, I have bricks going back to the first Clinton administration. Been stored in ammo cans at room temperature all that time. Cans picked up and shifted by car twice when I moved house. Positively pampered. I can guarandamteeya that there'll still be a half dozen duds in every brick. More if I shot guns with weak hammer-fall, like the notorious Stevens Model 12 Marksman.
    Last edited by uscra112; 05-29-2019 at 12:54 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I bought a few boxes of .22 and mixed them all up. Some REM and some WIN. Never had issues with Winchesters.
    Im pretty sure I fell on a box of factory REM rejects or something that got packaged by mistake. So many duds... No thunder.

Boolit Master
    Thinking Back, I believe I had a few "duds" shooting my Winchester 1890 as a youth, but that was With .22WRF rounds from an old Box of Peters that came with the Guns, the box was 'ratty' and falling apart as I remember it.
    I don't remember any 'Duds' firing my 'Premark' Ruger Auto, even with the Grade 7 PTL's I used in my training operations.
    I vaguely remember one firing a Marlin Model 56 when Hunting Jack Rabbits, but that was way 'Back When' hunting them was still legal in Los Angeles County, CA.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-12-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Good point. Bulk ammo today undoubtedly gets dropped/poured into those plastic tubs like it was gravel.

But that doesn't explain the bricks upon bricks upon bricks of Thunderduds that were boxed normally and still have duds, I have bricks going back to the first Clinton administration. Been stored in ammo cans at room temperature all that time. Cans picked up and shifted by car twice when I moved house. Positively pampered. I can guarandamteeya that there'll still be a half dozen duds in every brick. More if I shot guns with weak hammer-fall, like the notorious Stevens Model 12 Marksman.
    How about shipping cross country via Motor Freight in a hard sprung semi-trailer over 'less than perfectly smooth roads?

Chuckling,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

I've never had a CCI dud. I find that amazing. Back in the 90s I settled on CCI Standard Velocity for NRA Bullseye since it was the only affordable ammo that boasted such reliability. I'm not good enough for the real expensive stuff. I find it astounding that after a nearly 20 year layoff I returned to the sport to find people saying exactly the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I've never had a CCI dud. I find that amazing.
    That's why I'm keeping as a museum piece.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    The .22 conversions for my Austrian Tuppeware have eaten tens of thousands of the Remington "cheaper by the bucketful" Golden Bullets, since they're one of the factory recommended brands that cycle the slide reliably. The other brand recommended is CCI MiniMags.

Zero ignition problems with the CCI's, of course. Interestingly enough, back in the day the frequency of duds with the GB's was so high that occasionally I'd find abandoned boxes of them on the range missing only a few rounds. They were also kinda bad back in the shortage days. But the buckets I've bought recently are pretty good. I think I've only had a couple or three duds in the past three or four buckets (over 5000 rounds in three buckets full), and those went off when rechambered and rotated for a different point of impact for the FP.

i have at least 2 duds ayear from cci.
    Time is not money when it is spent doing somthing one loves to do.

Like Vincent motorcycles did, we send all the substandard product to Australia.
    Cognitive Dissident

lol i bet you do
    Time is not money when it is spent doing somthing one loves to do.

Are we talking CCI Standard ?

Boolit Mold
    The CCI SV in the new packaging works great in my brother-in-laws Victory Performance Center with the stainless barrel. His son has the PC Victory with the carbon fiber barrel and has failure to fire on 1 or 2 in every magazine. Both guns shooting the ammo from the same lot case of 5000. Like I said this is the new packaging. Go figure.

Since it works in Dad's gun but not son's, Ockham's Razor suggests that son's gun ain't all it should be. Are they examining the "duds" for light strikes?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

uscra112 you need to take your dud on a road trip to Lewiston Idaho, I wouldn't say another word until CCI makes an offer you can't refuse! You may be shooting free ammo for LIFE!!!!!!!!
    Charter Member #148

Lewiston is close enough a friends in the Magic Valley that it could be a twofer.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast