Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10ga super buck

10ga super buck

Anybody loading pellets larger the 000 for 10ga? My son whose motto is "too much isn't close to enough" wants me to load some super buck loads for a modern sxs 10ga. I checked and i can fit (14) 0.375" round balls (2.5 oz payload) in a 3.5" hull. There is enough room for a powder charge that would kill on both ends. If anyone has been down this road please post your results or PM them to me.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I have grown accustomed to having my retinas attached in their proper place, so I can’t help you.

Banned

Yikes!

Boolit Grand Master
    If it's not in a reputable load data book, there might just be a reason. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    If it's not in a reputable load data book, there might just be a reason. Stay safe.
    I say the same as you . Weight out the shot to make it equal to what the load data is and then fill in the rest space with spacers. I would not push it with the 10.I have one also that is a SxS and I do not push the load from the data there is for it. I also have the data for to load them in 2 7/8" but have not use it yet. I mainly just load it to 3 1/2" .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Imagine getting shot with 14 .38 special revolvers in the chest at the same time.
    The 10 ga probably has more speed.

I think if it was me rather than pushing for a max load, I'd be building a light tatical load. 8-10 of those shot with a slightly light powder charge, and either cornmeal or buffer around the shot. I like cornmeal because it works, its food for the critters, and it will be gone, undetectable in a year. Unlike plastic buffers.

For my 12 ga I do roughly the same thing. 9 #1 buckshot that self stacks in 3 groups of 3. Powder charge backed down from 21 gr of Red Dot to 18. Lighter, easier on the user, but still deadly serious on the receiving end.

But its your dime and your time so make yourself happy.

Boolit Master
    I’ve loaded the 10 gauge with 0000 (.380”) and 00000 (.397”) that I cast and killed deer with both . Plunked a doe at about 23 yards last season with the 0000 stuff and knocked over a smallish doe at about fifteen yards with the 00000 stuff three seasons ago . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	257F2CE5-5BD2-402E-9140-8A8741166F3F.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	242454 That’s the one with 0000 from last season used a Parker EH 10 gauge with factory original 28” barrels choked cylinder and light modified .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    OBTW , what I loaded isn’t in 3 1/2” hulls but rather 2 7/8” . Six pellets of 00000 or eight of 0000 .

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with richhodg66... YIKES! Indeed!

I have to say the 10 ga. with 000 or larger buckshot must be a force to reckon with! Even with a relatively light load that is a lot of largish balls flying! Talk about an alley cleaner!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I'm with richhodg66... YIKES! Indeed!

I have to say the 10 ga. with 000 or larger buckshot must be a force to reckon with! Even with a relatively light load that is a lot of largish balls flying! Talk about an alley cleaner!

Longbow
    I’m 100% sure the six 00000 pellets I shot the little doe with all found the mark at 15 yards . And I’m 99% sure the eight 0000 pellets found there mark as well I the deer pictured above . As to recoil , the thump from these loads is no different then any other 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounce load I’ve put together for my 10’s . Now I will say a couple of the slugs thump a bit more but all the slugs buckshot and birdshot loads use 29-30 grains of SR7625 .

6 pt,

Did you use a wrap and or buffer with your 0000 and 00000 loads? I can load the 0.375" balls in layers of 2 and use a 0.01" wrap with buffer or i can load them without a wrap.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

I had this site saved for a while as an example of someone that gives hunters a bad name. It does have some of the info you are looking for.

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/0000_super_buckshot/

I have been searching quite a while for a load, which would stretch out the distance for those long shotgun shots. Having watched two truly great bucks laugh at me as my 000 pellets rained down in a swamp twenty yards before them as I shot six times each at them, convinced me I needed something which would have more knock down power at greater distances than a shotgun is supposed to be used. I am not a proponent of shooting long range (150 yards +) at deer for fear of just wounding the animal, but there are those instances when you see a monster and you just have to try. On the day above, the deer were absolutely memorable. The first deer I just herded to my friend Bob who had a 30-yard shot. The deer measured 30 mm in diameter at the base of the antlers with 7 1/2 inch G2s and an 18-inch spread. It was a perfect eight point deer and largest he had ever shot. The other deer, his twin, just leapt away laughing. This set me on a quest to find larger shot.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    6 pt,

Did you use a wrap and or buffer with your 0000 and 00000 loads? I can load the 0.375" balls in layers of 2 and use a 0.01" wrap with buffer or i can load them without a wrap.

BB
    Yes on both accounts I use a .003” Mylar wrap with both sizes and a buffer . I also use the Remington SP-10 wad but remove the petals (shot cup).
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 05-28-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Discussions like this really whet my appetite for the Pressure Trace system.

Dear Santa...

M-Tecs,

For a fleeting moment I thought that site you mention was some sort of satire or some anti-hunters idea of putting hunters in a bad light. Sadly, the guy seems to be for real. "...but there are those instances when you see a monster and you just have to try". Absolutely disgusting!
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    M-Tecs,

For a fleeting moment I thought that site you mention was some sort of satire or some anti-hunters idea of putting hunters in a bad light. Sadly, the guy seems to be for real. "...but there are those instances when you see a monster and you just have to try". Absolutely disgusting!
    His email addy is on that site, maybe it is still valid. I am thinking he needs to hear from some real hunters.

BB

6pt,

Have you recovered any of the wraps? If so, does it look like they actually protect the RBs from flat spotting in the bore? I guess recovered RBs from the right medium would provide that answer too.

BB

Boolit Master

BB, as you know I have loaded all manner of buckshot. The key to success seems to be 1) a 2 stack of HARD shot; 2) moderate velocitiy; 3) buffer. Powder charge dictated by equivalent weight, fast lead shot load which is generally a slow ish powder. If 3/8 balls will 2-stack in a standard 10 ga wad I would put enough buffer in the bottom to cover interior base of cup and start stackin. It's ok to go above shotcuup for a stack. Add buffer and shake down even with top of shot then thin overshot, fold crimp. Load constructed like this shoot best out of full choke. You can get more pellets in 3 stacks of varying heights but I have never seen them pattern as well. Here's 70% of 00 in a 10" circle at 40 yds constructed this way.

PS: I have never gotten good result from wraps vs wadcups.
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 05-28-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I own two 10 gauges. I’ve used them for coyote hunting along with my 12 gauges. The biggest issue I’ve always had is any thing bigger than number four buck will not hold an acceptable pattern past 30/35 yards. I can keep 6 pellets of number four buck in a 5” circle at 60 yards out of my 12 gauge beretta silver mallard and beretta using a kicks .680 goblin thunder choke tube. Double 00 buck I’m lucky to put one or two pellets in a pie plate at 30 yards with both 10’s and my 12’s ...and that’s trying with over 2 dozen different chokes. Smaller is better IMO. My 10’s definitely hit harder I’ll give them that but I’d take #4 buck VS 00 or bigger all day long when shooting farther than 30 yards. The big federal slugs I can hit very accurate at 75 yards out of my 10 gauge browning gold 23” barrel nation turkey federation with a factory full choke. If I use a modified or improved cylinder their all over the place. You just have to check check your choke for looseness every couple of rounds. I’m going to try plumbers tape on them eventually. To me, 00 buck pellets and bigger are designed for a home defense round round and are made for under 20 yards or your groups are going to blow all over the place. My load of choice? Lead BB, I’ve dropped coyotes DRT at 65 plus yards with them and one at 109 yards that broke both rear legs using HD BB shot. You Can’t hit something that won’t hold a pattern...and the big stuff that’s fun to shoot isn’t going to hold a pattern worth a didly imo.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-28-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never messed much with buckshot loads but I have played a lot with Copper Plated BB's in both the 3 1/2 10 gauge and the 3 1/2 12 gauge for coyotes. My experience mirrors Tripplebeards. I did sell all my 10 ga stuff. In the days of lead for pass shooting geese they ruled. For BBB and under I can get the same patterns out of my 3 1/2" 12's in a lighter more responsive gun.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-28-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast