RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Firing Rifles at Very Close Targets Question

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Kind of like people shooting pistol at a whopping 7 yards.
    Yesterday morning, I fired my regular 100 rounds from my 3" CCW at 7 and 10 yards...because if I ever need to use it, most likely the situation will be 'up close and personal'. Afterward, though, I switched to a 1911 for 25 & 50. At the same time I was shooting, there were a couple of fairly proficient IDPA guys getting in some practice...and none of their targets were set beyond 20 yards.

FWIW, none of the states I'm familiar with which require live-fire qualification for CCW require applicants to shoot at over 10 yards. (When I fired my Illinois qualification, the guy next to me was shooting a SIG226 and barely managed to keep the absolute minimum number of rounds...21 out of 30...on his target; a full-size B27 silhouette at 5, 7, and 10 yards: 10 rounds at each distance.)

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

The Public Range I have to go to has a minimum limit of 50yds at the Rifle Range which is a 200yd Range into a hill side.
    The Pistol Range is 7yard minimum, 25yard maximum.

No lead mineing is allowed. It's a Privately run Range on National Forest Land.
    Neither are steel gongs/plates.
    Their is no Range Officer on weekdays.
    Weekends are scary.

It's my only Choice.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190529_215054_251.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	242593

Banned

Some ask me why I shoot my ars at 200 yards or 44 and 45 colt pistols at 500-1000 yards. Because its fun. Realisticly what there doing probably makes more sense then sitting on a bench with bags trying to shoot moa groups. If there practicing self defence which by the look of there target they are. there not going to be shooting bad guys at even 50 yards. 7 yards is even a bit of a stretch for a civilian using a firearm to defend himself. Guess it comes down to this. THERE SHOOTING! there not playing golf, bat mitten, or crocket. There not doing a wine tasting tour. There doing what I love and I say do it anyway you want but "JUST DO IT"

Worrying about how others amuse themselves is what a lot of people DO.
    Like worrying about how another man likes his steak cooked is of infinite fascination to some people.

However I am forever amused by the "Tacticool" crowd playing at being a sniper, complete with a spotter calling the fall of their shots, and consistently MISSING a 12" square gong plate at 300meters and every time the spotter calls "miss" I hit the plate with my 223rem varmint rifle OFFHAND. Most days I WALK to the range, at my mailbox I'm already a third of the way there... (there is ONE house between my house and my club range)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    The rifle shoots in an arc. For most rifles if you sight them in at 25yrds they will be on target at 100yrds. I always sight mine in with a new scope like that. Most AR combat rifles are for close in enough that if you sight them in for that distance they will hit what you are aiming at within reason.
    Bingo - I always start sighting in at 25 yards...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting pistol for 25 odd years, and a look at my reloading logs plus a conservative estimate of the amount of rimfire bought and shot says I've put about a quarter million rounds down range. Practice for accuracy was and still is a significant part of what I still do at the range, and I can hit what I aim am at if I do my part. But the first year I picked up a pistol? Yeah, I could miss a seven yard silhouette, especially rapid fire. The targets only got backed up once I could hit them consistently.

With iron sights and the velocity range expected with the pistols used in action pistol, it's common to sight in at 15 to 17 yards and have the same zero at 25 yards. Easier on my old eyes too.

At my range, all shots must impact an appropriate backstop, which is 99% of the time the back berm. Anybody missing and shooting blue sky or green grass at any target distance gets stopped ASAP, nor are they allowed to set up so shots passing through their targets do the same.
    Last edited by kevin c; 06-10-2019 at 03:24 AM.

We were lined up shooting the first round of six when getting my first CCL, when all of a sudden a boolit hole appeared right between the eyes of my target. All my shots were in the center mass (B27). The guy to my right did have some of the six shots on paper, no bullseyes. Two range guys, one standing there shaking his head when I looked at him, the other guy was more than amply engaged with two young women on the far left of the line who had never shot before. All their boolits were center mass. Big man on my left was sort of key holing the shots dead center and didn't open up much at the longer distances. I was awed at shooting so close.
    When I lived in NM at the Boys Ranch, early on we had rattlesnakes invading the campus and I used my bow and arrow to dispatch them. Taught the boys how to shoot and Sunday after the noon meal we hit the 52 target range across the highway from the campus in sandy sage brush. We diligently practiced shooting at "1 " yard at our feet. Then we might encounter a Western Diamondback and it didn't live long. I had a special arrow that I carried along with a moon crescent broadhead 1 1//4 inches wide for the snake shot. Then maybe a shout would ring out, "I got him Pop" and hold up the arrow with a small snake on the end of it. The rule was to get back away and call for reinforcements when there was a "big" one.
    When hog bowhunting, I carry my 44mag Vaq in a modified rug under the left armpit. Loaded with 300 gr Lee sledgehammer type and then choose a spot on a stump or similar object very close , unzip , draw, fire using the left hand on the hammer, no aiming sights,one shot and done. Until I come to next stump. Surprisingly accurate. I have seen a hog shot poorly with an arrow charge the hunter on UTube. I was walking on a trail on the lease when I saw where the hogs were rubbing on some small pine trees. Measured the height of the mud one to 4 inches above my waistline. I am thinking the hog cannot reach all the way up to the top of it's back, approximately eight inches higher. That makes it to be a pretty big pig. I have seen accomplished bowhunters miss an easy grouse,rabbit, squirrel, etc. at very close range they have not practiced. My youngest son stated it well . He says that only perfect practice makes perfect. The other side of that is poor practice makes what? I am a sort of vintage bowhunter starting in earnest 1965. Please excuse me, I have to go fill up the feeder and set up a camera.

Sure enjoy reading the pros and cons on the posts in Cast Boolits. And maybe come to a better conclusionl

Boolit Master
    Whatever floats your boat, as long as you’re not putting anyone in danger.
    The .223 at 25 yards can be fun. Does quite a number on cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A lot of people want the instant feed back of seeing where they hit. When they are close they can see where the bullets hit easily. Put your target at 50 yards and further out and you cannot see the bullet placement without a scope of some sort. Few people want to stop shooting and go down range just to see bullet holes especially when they do not know the order they hit.

There are a lot of reasons to shoot up close. Ask any plinker. I often shoot wood blocks made by cutting 4 inch long pieces off of 2X4 lumber scraps. They jump around well when shot with a .22LR.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I once shot a woodchuck with my. 223 at a whopping 12 yds. It made for a very satisfying kill, I got to see the immediate effects. OTH, I had a shot at another woodchuck at 55 yds with a bolt action 22 rimfire. Its head barely showed above the tall grass. At the shot, the head dropped down, and I could see the grass waving back and forth. I found the woodchuck stone dead, right next to a hole. Very satisfying experience also.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234